Sheep hunt filming question

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got my first mountain filming gig this September with 2 sheep hunts in Wyo. My dilemma comes to how much personal hunting stuff do I really need to bring... such as spotting scope, GPS, etc. I don't want to be weighed down obviously but it's been hard for me to think about leaving MY hunting necessities at the house. Was hoping some of you fellow ladies and gents had a filming checklist I could glance at and compare to mine. Thanks in advance!

Jordan

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
just plan on going in heavy IMO. My filming pursuits add about 6 lbs to my checklist on top of hunting gear necessities. That includes still camera, video cam, spare bats, and tripod. Some trips I take a slider for cool motion shots, but not always.

I use a Sony RX100 II still cam, Canon XA10 HD video cam, Slik II tripod, and a basic manual slider weighs about 2.5 lbs. Batteries take up the extra space and weight.

TEmbry

WKR
Got my first mountain filming gig this September with 2 sheep hunts in Wyo. My dilemma comes to how much personal hunting stuff do I really need to bring... such as spotting scope, GPS, etc. I don't want to be weighed down obviously but it's been hard for me to think about leaving MY hunting necessities at the house. Was hoping some of you fellow ladies and gents had a filming checklist I could glance at and compare to mine. Thanks in advance!

Jordan

If your going solely as the cameraman... Then focus on that. You don't need any hunting gear. Clothes, camping gear, and food are all you need besides the camera gear. You don't need to be glassing for animals, you need to be filming. B Roll shots alone can be a full time job on a week long hunt much less getting all the action shots.

If you are also guiding/hunting then that would obviously change my answer.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the replies guys. I will be solely on the camera.. so I suppose in a way I answered my own question, but definitely wanted to get some extra input. Most definitely don't want to go in unprepared. I will probably pack my slider in with me as well. We're using Canon XF300's and will take my 60D with me for some b roll and interviews as well as a possible backup camera if need be, plus the go pros. Will be my first TV gig so a lot of nerve along with the excitement. Any other input/ideas/tips are welcomed with open arms..!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use a Cinerail slider by Light / Works. It's the run-and-gun model that is about 38" long and weighs about 2.5-lbs

The only advice I have for you is to protect the slider from grit, wind, moisture, etc. The stainless steel track is sensitive to grit, and any moisture will cause rust pits over time.

I'm not all that excited to use it in the field because it's a pain in the ass to tote and setup. And this manual slider requires a steady and consistent hand motion with the camera to get smooth action on film. But, the idea of a pulley system with a motor complicates my run-and-gun preference with filming hunts.

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, that 36-39" range sort of jumped out at me. I'll look for one with a bag but with me using it outside pretty much means it is doomed..