Shrek's 6.5 saum build

Shrek

WKR
All the 6.5 building has got the best of me. I have a Winchester ss classic 300 wsm that arrived last week. It was supposed to be a backup elk rifle but when I wentt to replace the factory noodle stock I ran across a McMillan Hunter Edge for a too good to pass up price. I would have put it on my freshly rebarreled 7mm wsm but the barrel is too thick. So....let's build the 6.5 of my dreams ! I ordered a Benchmark #4 , 8 twist , 5r , 6 flute to finish at 26" yesterday. I have decided on the 6.5 saum but what 6.5 saum ? I see the gap 6.5 saum 4s and the 6.5-300 saum. What are the variations ? I want a simple neck down without any case altering fire forming. I want to tailor it to a 160 gr matrix vld touching the lands at 3.035 col. That will put the base of the bullet approximately even with the case body /shoulder . I should have no trouble using Berger 140 vld's and Matrix 142 vld's also.
Questions are what reamer matches the redding 6.5-300 saum dies ? Can I use a 300 saum body bump die or must it be a custom 6.5 saum body die ? Should I order a custom reamer to match the 160 matrix or rent a standard reamer and a 6.5 throat reamer and do it in two steps ? I know I'll kill barrels so I'll get repeated use of a reamer I buy and I can loan it to friends if they they need it. I'm leaning this way. If I order a reamer who should I use ? PTG , Clymer , or.... . What type , live pilot or fixed ? Standard or carbide ? That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I have a Smith in town who has just recently bought a lathe and started building rifles. I'm going to check out his work and see if I have any confidence in him. If not I may need Smith recommendations too. Thanks !

Ptg and use the 4s. Call George and he will give you the reamer number to order.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Cahunter805 , any particular reason for the 4s reamer ? Is it compatible to the redding dies available ? Are the matching dies available without custom ordering ? I'm just trying to see the whole project in my head before I jump off on the reamer .

Btw , George At ...?

dotman

WKR
Cahunter805 , any particular reason for the 4s reamer ? Is it compatible to the redding dies available ? Are the matching dies available without custom ordering ? I'm just trying to see the whole project in my head before I jump off on the reamer .

Btw , George At ...?
I'm guessing George the owner of GA precision, he is a 6.5 addict, just built my buddy one.

Last edited:
Yes he means George at GA Precision. Aka GAP rifles. Very highly regarded custom rifle builder and a very good competitive shooter.

Btw , George At ...?

George Gardner Owner of GAP is the brainchild behind the 6.5 saum. He builds one hell of a rifle, and for that he stays very very busy. Call jon at beanland he has the reamer just ask him all your questions. I think i actually have all the info, i was about to have one built, might still but put it on hold after the 26 nosler came out. I was waiting on real world numbers on the 26.

Let me check my emails

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I've heard of GAP but there is no way I can afford a well known custom rifle maker and if I could afford one I'd spend the money on a lathe and teach myself to chamber and install my own barrels. Like my hunting where I welcome anyone who wants to help or share info but I have no interest in hiring a guide and with rifles I'd rather have a hacked up ugly duckling rifle than a beautiful custom someone else imagined and assembled. I pick and buy every part and do all the assembly I possibly can and for right now I'll have to have a smith do the machine work. I feel guilty calling a professional to pick their brain when I'm not going to buy anything from them. I'll solicit advice on forums and if anyone wants to help that's great. I'll also be consulting the Google machine and reading all the information I find. Cold calling a pro and picking his brain on the phone is too close to freeloading for me. If George from GAP happens upon this thread and wants to share his knowledge freely then great !

I've heard of GAP but there is no way I can afford a well known custom rifle maker and if I could afford one I'd spend the money on a lathe and teach myself to chamber and install my own barrels. Like my hunting where I welcome anyone who wants to help or share info but I have no interest in hiring a guide and with rifles I'd rather have a hacked up ugly duckling rifle than a beautiful custom someone else imagined and assembled. I pick and buy every part and do all the assembly I possibly can and for right now I'll have to have a smith do the machine work. I feel guilty calling a professional to pick their brain when I'm not going to buy anything from them. I'll solicit advice on forums and if anyone wants to help that's great. I'll also be consulting the Google machine and reading all the information I find. Cold calling a pro and picking his brain on the phone is too close to freeloading for me. If George from GAP happens upon this thread and wants to share his knowledge freely then great !

Jon beanland is a great guy, he wont care. There is a thread on snipershide with every thing you need. George posted every thing you need over there. I looked and can't find all my notes, but ill keep looking

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Thanks , I've read some of the threads on snipers hide but not all. Most of it seems geared towards the lighter bullets and I was trying to determine the potential with the matrix 160 gr. I found a little on long range hunting but not much definitive. The Sherman ss doesn't interest me because of the more elaborate fire forming involved. I want a simple neck down and some neck turning on some 7mm saum brass. I've come to the conclusion that 3050 fps is probably within reasonable pressure so I'm going for it. If not the 142gr matrix and the 140gr Berger will do.

Shrek
Yes George from gap rifles is who I meant. He is extremely busy but if you call him he will give you all the info you need. I was suggesting getting the reamer number from him and ordering it from PTG and then have your local gunsmith do the work. You can actually use 7mm or 300saum bushing dies and just buy the correct bushings for 6.5mm. Finding brass might be your toughest task.

KMD

Banned
For questions about reamers, I'd call & ask for Dave Kiff @ PT&G. He's the man, and will know what kind of throat the 160s might like.

I bought my "GAP 6.5 4s" reamer from PT&G. As stated above, George from GAP designed the reamer, so it IS slightly different than a straight, necked down 6.5-300SAUM reamer. Dave Kiff can help you with the subtle differences in leade angle & throat length, so you can determine which would work best for you...

As for dies, I use Redding Competition set, in 7SAUM. Types S FL sizer, with bushings to neck down. And I swapped out the seating stem in the Comp seater to a 6.5mm VLD stem. I don't use body dies, the FL die with bushing does what I need it to, and the seater operates with minimal runout...

Are you really sold on using those 160 Matrix? Their BC is only marginally higher than a 140 JLK, but you're pushing alot more bullet weight to realize it. Crunch the #s and see if you can push the 160s fast enough for them to be worth the extra weight & length.
Heck, I have a ADC friend who's using 107 SMKs @3600 from his 6.5 SAUM. He wanted laser flat 0-600yds for coyote control work, so light & fast was the best tool for his task. Just sayin', keep your goals in mind, and don't get too hung up on thinking the most heavy, highest BC bullet for caliber is always the best choice. Sometimes, a compromise in BC is made up for in velocity...

Great info in this thread! Love all the help here. Good find also on that brass at the SPS website.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Thanks KMD , I'm not totally hung up on the 160's and 140's may be the ticket. I want the heavier bullet for elk. I'm not of the thinking that you need a canon to kill an elk but a little extra smack covers some sins like hhitting a leg bone or a less than ideal frontal shot.

KMD

Banned
OK, gotcha.
If ya skim that 'Hide link, there's a boatload of dead game pics, alot of which were taken with 130 Bergers. Antelope, mulies, and big elk, too.

After seeing how a 140 JLK blew thru both shoulders of a deer, I'd feel perfectly comfortable launching one at an elk. They hit an 8" AR500 plate REALLY hard @ 650yds, I was impressed with how violently the plate reacted to impact. Kinda subjective to actually compare how hard a bullet hits, but if ya shoot alot of steel, ya kinda get a feel for it. That 6.5 SAUM hits HARD...