Mk-85

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I sold one of my MK-85s in .54 and found another .50 predator. This one is the older version with the allen screw locking the hammer assembly in. These particular models had green mountain barrels and Timney triggers not the copies.
Someone along the way used pliers on the disassembly process... All is good I found a replacement piece at Numrich Arms. and it is on the way.
This gun's Bore is in perfect condition!
I am quite pleased to add this to my collection as it matches my "go to" rifle perfectly and is set up with peeps and globe sight already. I cannot wait to shoot it as ELK Season is right around the corner. My other Predator loves the 460 gr. no excuses over a modest charge of triple 7. The rifle is more accurate than I can be with open sights.
The rifle is Not only accurate but checks all the boxes to be legal in Oregon.
I hope this new (to me) is as accurate. If so this will end my search for the perfect muzzleloader as I will have a matched pair.
Good Hunting!

I sold one of my MK-85s in .54 and found another .50 predator. This one is the older version with the allen screw locking the hammer assembly in. These particular models had green mountain barrels and Timney triggers not the copies.

I have the same rifle - but the barrel is not a Green Mountain - the early barrels were built by Bill Wiseman. Does your barrel have the Breen Mountain insignia on it?

This is mine... Also note the muzzle of the barrel - I call it a funky crown but it is the sign of the Wiseman barrel

This is a better pic...

I do not even use the retainer screw - just leave out...

Someone along the way used pliers on the disassembly process... All is good I found a replacement piece at Numrich Arms. and it is on the way.
This gun's Bore is in perfect condition!
I am quite pleased to add this to my collection as it matches my "go to" rifle perfectly and is set up with peeps and globe sight already. I cannot wait to shoot it as ELK Season is right around the corner. My other Predator loves the 460 gr. no excuses over a modest charge of triple 7. The rifle is more accurate than I can be with open sights.
The rifle is Not only accurate but checks all the boxes to be legal in Oregon.
I hope this new (to me) is as accurate. If so this will end my search for the perfect muzzleloader as I will have a matched pair.
Good Hunting!

Mine shoots lights out - hope yours does...

OP
S

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Mike.
I think You are correct as I cannot find the GM Barrel stamp on either gun. I assumed they were both Green Mountain. the triggers are stamped Timney.
One of them has the style engraving (like Yours one shown) the other one has the later style engraving but still has the set screw. ( I don't use the screw either)
I am pretty sure the gun will shoot.

OP
S

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
Yes I did paint it and thanks. I would make sure to go all the way if I did again by that I mean make sure to use a compatible primer. Plenty of dry time between coats and finally a satin clear coat. I did everything but the clear coat. I wish I would have. Lucky for me I live with the guy who painted it and he says he will do that some day.
It was a lot less expensive to paint it than to have it dipped.
Good luck and be sure to post some photos when completed.

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Is it just a textured Krylon paint or something more? I need to order a new stock for a bighorn and don't care for either the camouflage finishes that comes on them or the carbon knight stock.