Goat Gun/Caliber

bkondeff

FNG
I'm not in the shape most of you guys are, though I am working on it so I can be ready to fill my Mt Goat tag here in Idaho. That said my gun choices were a Tikka T3 Lite in 25-06 or a choice of two 7mm RM's that shoot great but weigh 10lbs all in. I found a Rem Mountain Rifle in .280, listed at 6.5lbs, so not ultralight. Probably starting with heavier 160-168gr bullets at 2800fps. Limit to 400 yards, assuming it shoots MOA or better.

While I understand these critters are tough and thick, any reasons this gun shouldn't be sufficient if I do my part on placement?

muleman

WKR
My opinion is based on hunting and harvesting one goat, a lot of field observation over the past ten years and opinions of trusted and successful goat hunters and guides. I would choose a caliber with plenty of down range energy at your max range and a bullet that is proven to stay together and provides plenty of expansion and penetration. Of the three you listed I would choose the 7mm Mag. Goats naturally head to the cliffs to avoid predators, so it is important to anchor your goat on the first shot. The last thing you want is a wounded and mobile goat doing a death leap into the cliffs.

Backstrap

FNG
The .280 will do almost everything the 7mag does in a lighter package with less recoil and cost. If you have the time and money before the hunt, get it changed to an Ackley, then it will run with the 7mag. Those Remington Mountain Rifles are sweet to shoulder for a stock rifle.

bradb

WKR
Shot my only goat with a 6.5_280 ai, it was only like 50 yards. It dropped instantly at the shot. Then tumbled dead down past us

Nvborn

FNG
I am not gonna jump into the caliber discussion, etc. as some good points have been made already. I will offer my general opinions........1)a 10 pound rifle is gonna feel like a 30 pound rifle at 10000'. 2)get a good stiff bullet for whatever caliber/rifle you choose. 3) Hit them good and don't be afraid to hit them good more than once

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I went on my first sheep hunt in 2002 with a heavy (10#+++) rifle. After the 1st day I realized there was a reason light rifles were an obsession with mountain hunters. I built a 7# all up M70. From the places I have seen goats on other hunts, it makes sheep country look really easy!

Sounds like you guys think the bullet is more important than the caliber? Are you talking Barnes X tough or Accubond tough?

Of those 3 rifles listed, I'd pick the LiGHT 7 mag!

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to hijack your thread but what round do you goat guys recommend for a 270? I'm thinking 150gr accu bonds or TSXs. Open to other suggestions as well

I'm surprised by the number of TSX and "tough" bullet recommendations. I don't know anything, since my first goat hunt isn't until the end of next month, but my mental calculus went a different direction.

From what I understand, goats aren't' that big. 300ish lbs right? I'm using a 30-06 and penetration on an animal that size never even crossed my mind as an issue. I've skinned a few dozen moose and big bears killed with 180gr bullets from the '06, and have never seen a penetration problem that I recall.

However, goats are supposed to die very hard, so my thought was to use a bullet that caused maximum internal destruction, rather than penetration. My gun is currently sighted in for both 168 gr Bergers and 175 gr LRX (overlapping groups at 200yds), so I can use either one. My current thought is to use the Bergers, but I could still switch.

I suspect either one would work fine, but from what I've seen the Barnes will typically do the least amount of internal damage of the various bullet I've used. Particularly at 300 yds and over. So why does everybody like the "tough" bullets for this task?

Yk

Ive seen more than a few goats killed with 243's and 90grn ballistic tips! modern bullets don't have the penetration issues that some did 20 years ago, I would worry more about shot placement than having a big cal. Find a gun that shoots well and you are comfortable shooting. get as close as you can and wait for a good shot!

I feel your 25-06 with something along the lines of a 120 gr. Partition or 110 gr. Accubond would serve you well as would that sweet 280 Remington. 140 gr. Accubond or Partition would be my choice in the .280. Give a hard look at the E-tips by Nosler as they are fantastic also.

Whatever you shoot it with make sure you anchor it with the first shot. Then shoot it again before it gets up and swan dives 1000 feet.

JohnRP

FNG
Heres some hunts my friends and I have been on and what happen. One friend shot a goat bedded down with a 340 weatherby. Shot in the vitals , it stood up and walked away like nothing happen. Two more shoots till he anchored it. Another friend shot his with a 300 weatherby. It walked off the cliff and the horns were shattered. Mine was shot with a 300 win on the shoulder. It walk to the edge of a cliff and dropped within a few feet of going over. I can't stress how tough they are. You need to anchor them where they stand!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have seen goats killed with a 270 twice, 338 four times, 325 WSM twice, 30-06 once, 300 WM twice, 308 thrice, 280 AI once, and one archery kill I can say they all work. As always placement is more important than the cartridge, but I would say anything from the 270 to 308 win on up should do the job nicely. I am sure the 25-06 would work as well. Just take what you shoot best. That said mountain goats are tougher to kill than grizzly bears IME so bigger is always better so long as you shoot it well. YK with his 30-06 is about optimal IMO.

OP
B

bkondeff

FNG
We'll when I get the .280 Mountain Rifle, I'm going to see if it prefers 160gr accubonds, 140gr accubonds, 150gr TSX's, or 168gr Bergers. If it likes one, and isn't picky about seating, etc., then that is likely the way I will go. I will keep shots in the 300-400 range or under, so I should have over 1500 ft lbs of energy and ideally under a 4" radius to count on. The gun hold's 4+1 and I won't be afraid to use them all. Leaning toward the accubonds/TSX's over the Bergers though, as if I get a chance to break shoulders, I will try for both. I was talking with an experienced guide, Mike Scott, who gave some great advice. When possible, take a slightly quartering away shot, from the last rib toward the off shoulder, which gives you both lungs and a shoulder.

PS Anyone considering guided Goats, Sheep, Deer, or Elk guided hunts in his area in the White Cloud and Boulder Mtn's of Idaho should call Mike, he seems top notch.

60x

WKR
All about shot placement,shot placement, shot placement did I say shot placement;). Bigger bullets help to. Goats are tricky. I have watched them tip over with relative ease and other times it's like you need a missle to plant them. They are tenacious no doubt. I lung shot a goat at 300 yards with. 400grain x bullet out of a 416 weatherby and guess what, it did as expected, took off running, dead but running to a cliff so I had to follow up. I've always preferred hunters with any mountain game consider the terrain and place the shot accordingly and with goats at least where I've hunted them in alaska that means they are usually in the cliffs and you need to plant them or risk them doing the leap of faith. I like a 30 cal for goats but the 280 should do just fine

im in the same predicament with bullet selection. i have until october 1st to change my load to something more goat friendly. i just used a 168 berger match to take a ram but my plan is to shoot the 160 accubonds. if my 7rm doesn't like those then ill use my .300 wby shooting 180 grain accubonds or 190 accubond lr's

Az Hunter

FNG
I'm going goat hunting in Alaska in three weeks . I'm using a 300 Ultra mag with 180 remington scirocco . My guide really wants his hunters to use at least a 300 win mag. Goats are tough and you want to put them down before they go off a ledge