Goat Gun/Caliber

Shot my last two with a 308win. 130gr TTSX. Worked well. Had a .25-284 built for this years hunt, 100gr TTSX shooting sub-moa, but am taking the .325wsm w/200gr TSX instead. Pulled a Grizz tag in the same zone ;)

Shrek

WKR
sorry totally missed this.

I haven't given them a hard look. it looks like theres only a 140 grain and 175? Wheres the recommended twist rates?

I have a 1:10 so I'm limited to some degree.
Scroll down and you find a 7mm 168gr vld needing a 10 twist. They start with the RBT then flat base and then VLD's . It's a very close cousin to the berger 168 vld. He uses j4 jackets which are made by berger.

Shrek

WKR
I just emailed Marshall and the VLD's are NOT bonded and the bonded 175 gr RBT needs a 9.5 or faster twist. I had been under the impression that all of his bullets were bonded but that is not the case.

AZ Vince

WKR
I'd use the 7mm Remington Magnum of I had one and didn't have other calibers to choose from.
The European version of the 30-06 had acquitted itself well over the years. Good luck!

Any of you used an Accubond on a goat?

Seen a few pumped into large bears and moose. I have no doubt it would be an excellent goat bullet. I would use one LONG before I went with a Berger or similar rapid (or inconstantly) expanding projectile. I have shot and loaded lots, but my rifles tend to shoot Barnes offerings a hair better, so they end up going into the field.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Meat damage depends where ya hit them with any bullet and what speed the bullet is going at impact and other variables. I will say they don't get the misnomer "accu-bomb" for no reason though. That said Becca and I will be running them in our.308s that we take to Kodiak this fall for goats. 165 accubonds to be exact.

Meat damage? Have you ever used them on bear?

I've used them on a couple Griz. Good mix of penetration and damage from a 30-06. The only one I recovered entered the right ham and was under the skin of the left shoulder with about 60% wt left. Broke lots of bone and rolled the bear up.

YK.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meat damage depends where ya hit them with any bullet and what speed the bullet is going at impact and other variables. I will say they don't get the misnomer "accu-bomb" for no reason though. That said Becca and I will be running them in our.308s that we take to Kodiak this fall for goats. 165 accubonds to be exact.
I run the 165gr Accubonds in my .308 as well. They are just so darn accurate I never looked elsewhere once I got a load dialed in.

I've used them on a couple Griz. Good mix of penetration and damage from a 30-06. The only one I recovered entered the right ham and was under the skin of the left shoulder with about 60% wt left. Broke lots of bone and rolled the bear up.
YK.
Can't ask for more than that...

ol490

Lil-Rokslider
I just killed a goat with a 140 grain accubond out of a 270WSM. I put 2 shots behind the front leg at 310 yds. No exit, quick death, and no meat loss. I have also broke front shoulders on elk with the same setup so they penetrate and hold together. Good bullet from my experience on critters including the one goat.

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
We'll when I get the .280 Mountain Rifle, I'm going to see if it prefers 160gr accubonds, 140gr accubonds, 150gr TSX's, or 168gr Bergers. If it likes one, and isn't picky about seating, etc., then that is likely the way I will go. I will keep shots in the 300-400 range or under, so I should have over 1500 ft lbs of energy and ideally under a 4" radius to count on. The gun hold's 4+1 and I won't be afraid to use them all. Leaning toward the accubonds/TSX's over the Bergers though, as if I get a chance to break shoulders, I will try for both. I was talking with an experienced guide, Mike Scott, who gave some great advice. When possible, take a slightly quartering away shot, from the last rib toward the off shoulder, which gives you both lungs and a shoulder.

PS Anyone considering guided Goats, Sheep, Deer, or Elk guided hunts in his area in the White Cloud and Boulder Mtn's of Idaho should call Mike, he seems top notch.

I'd start with the 160 grain accubonds and go from there. (those rounds are tough to find in stores). I bought about 6 boxes of 140 grain accubonds and have since reloaded them at 160 gr. (after breaking the barrel in). However, this is a Nosler Custom TGR in 7mm Rem Mag I'm talking about. But the coefficient on the 160 grains is much higher and noticable on targets. I think you're fine with the 280 caliber. I prefer my 7mm. but that's what I've shot since I was a youngen.

mwhamm

FNG
For what it's worth, I've been on five goat kills with a 300 wby. Some were one shot quick kills and others took several shots to the vitals. All shot with partitions and acubonds.

OP
B

bkondeff

FNG
So working with new Rem MR .280, I found during load testing this week that it really likes the 168 berger I've used so much on deer/elk the past 5 years. I am getting between 2750-2800 fps with IMR 7828 between 56-57 grains. Should slight pressure signs at the higher range, but it was hot out when testing, and is unlikely to be hot where I will be goat hunting. I think 56.5gr looks best with multiple sub .5moa groups. I did find that this(light) gun and heavy trigger is very sensitive to shooting technique, but at worst seems to be 1moa with occasional flyer on my part. Load should provide over 2000ft/lbs of energy at 400 yds, and even 1500 out as far as 750, but I won't be shooting that far.

I'll be practicing at elevation on my next scout trip to verify drops at elevation and on some of the expected but hard to replicate angles of goat country.

Bighorse

WKR
goat gun

I shot this 10yr old with a .416 Ruger. Anything less would be uncivilized. :)

Attachments

• foster photos 794.jpg
    foster photos 794.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 80