Watch out for Rattlesnakes.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
I just thought I would give a reminder for those hunting the high desert right now. I was out double checking my rifle was sighted in for my upcoming tags. I pounded in a target board and fired off about ten rounds between a few guns. Went back to the target and covered up the holes. Shot another five rounds went back to the target and my lab stuck her nose in a sage about 5 yards from the target. She yelped and then a faint rattle filled the air. It was a young 15 inch snake that gave no warning the whole time we were in the area. It turned out to be a high dose of venom that hit an artery and my 3.5 year old lab was down within ten minutes of the bite. 50/50 chance she makes it on IV and anti-venom right now.

The last three rattlers i have encountered have not given any warning so keep your eyes aware as you are walking through snake country.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark

WKR
Hope your girl pulls through. I came across a 4' rattler scouting antelope last weekend. I'm not a fan of snakes at all.

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
I hope you had time to kill the little sucker. I kill them when I get the chance and I don't care if some fault me for it or not as I think it might save someone from this same sort of thing someday.

hoping for the best. worry everyday for my year old fiest who walks with me around the back field food plots , which has rattlers and moccasins. carry a 1911 with shotshell, but its always the one you never see.

Mark

WKR
ge3ujy2u.jpg

Good snake...

sdr

FNG
i really hope you dog is ok. I often shoot out by Little Washoe and I usually see snakes there. With the drought they are concentrated around the areas we like to play. My daughter almost stepped on one there last year and they usually don't buzz. I think the loud gene has been shot out of them in the more frequented areas.

Mckinnon

WKR
Sorry about your dog, hope she pulls through. Just a side note for all of the Reno area people, the german short hair pointer club here down does rattle snake avoidance training a couple times every summer. I think it was $80... we took our dog and our friends took all 4 of theirs, the dog doesn't have to be a GSP. Seemed to work pretty well. Feel free to pm me with questions. Didn't mean to hijack at all, just to spread some useful info

jmez

WKR
You guys with dogs in snake country should have them vaccinated. The vaccine works well and isn't expensive.

Shrek

WKR
I hope your dog pulls through. I kill every rattler and moccasin I can and wear snake boots hunting down here. I got dry bit when I was a teenager and I figure I've used all my snake luck up.