Best Prices / Recommendations for Wall Tent

bz_711

WKR
Looking for any help finding best prices and/or recommendations for Wall Tents (or other tents that allow for wood stove).

For now - I would only use it 1 week/year for an Elk Camp...I've only stayed in one once, but like the idea of wood stove for good heat and drying ability on gear.

I'm just a flatlander from IL looking for some guidance...any info appreciated!

Really like this forum!

muleman

WKR
I love my Davis 12x14 and would do business with them again. http://www.davistent.com/

With that said, I have also been considering a large tipi with a large stove. Wall tents are tough and proven, but heavy and time consuming to setup especially if you are not using a frame. This is where I think a TiGoat, Seek Outside, or Kifaru tipi would be easier. Kifaru has been the leader for large tipis. Seek Outside just released a 12 man tipi that can also be pitched in a 8 man configuration if the space is tight.

Do some searches as there are a lot of posts regarding shelters.

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
muleman,

Check out the Reliable Teton. It is kind of a hybrid teepee/wall tent design. I really like mine. Weight is reasonable for horsepacking. You can also cut out the floor to save weight.

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
How much does "flame retardent" help if using a stove or hot embers contacting tent? (worth the extra costs?)

muleman

WKR
muleman,

Check out the Reliable Teton. It is kind of a hybrid teepee/wall tent design. I really like mine. Weight is reasonable for horsepacking. You can also cut out the floor to save weight.

Can you pitch the Teton without the frame? Like where you use a log ridge pole lashed to log A-Frames.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Can you pitch the Teton without the frame? Like where you use a log ridge pole lashed to log A-Frames.

You might be able to, but the frame consists of the two interior poles, and four corner walls poles (as opposed to a traditional frame), so I haven't ever tried it without the poles.

I have the standard canvas, not fire treated. No problems, except some mildew when the Teton wasn't quite dry one time when I packed it up. Woops.

dotman

WKR
How many people will be in this tent, another option is to go the with a Kifaru Tipi. If it is just you and another probably be cheaper this way and then you can also backpack your camp in. If it is for 6 people the wall tent will probably be cheaper. I'm thinking a 4 man tipi and a wall tent probably are around the same price if you go with a good brand wall tent.

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt out of a wall tent my hunting partner and I bought together. We have a ridge pole made from heavy wall steam pipe with a support at each end and support the walls with cut to fit 2x2's. We bought a heavy tarp to put over it with a chimney cut out. Over time the waterproofing wears out and we like the extra coverage when it snows if we are out late season. Our stove is a kit made out of a 35 gallon drum. We have used it for 10+ years. Hopefully next year I am stepping up to a camper :)

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt out of a wall tent my hunting partner and I bought together. We have a ridge pole made from heavy wall steam pipe with a support at each end and support the walls with cut to fit 2x2's. We bought a heavy tarp to put over it with a chimney cut out. Over time the waterproofing wears out and we like the extra coverage when it snows if we are out late season. Our stove is a kit made out of a 35 gallon drum. We have used it for 10+ years. Hopefully next year I am stepping up to a camper :)

+1 on davis tent company.
What kit did you use for the stove??? Got any pics. I'd like a cheap stove and that may fit the bill.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had good luck with my Montana Canvas 8x10x5 with relite walls and canvas roof. The relite is much lighter, durable and dries out much faster than canvas. I believe you can buy through Cabelas as well. For a stove I purchased it through Moscow wall tent shop [email protected] the two dog model. There are many quality stoves they offer that are reasonably priced, but i know cabelas often has stoves on sale or in their bargain cave. For the pole set up i went with KWIK Kamp and just bought conduit to go with the tent joints. Nothing like a wall tent in the falls for sure!

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Thanks for the info guys!

If you'd purchase a wall tent without stove hole, is it very hard to cut/install a stove pipe hole into a tent and fly cover?
Any major do's/don'ts when buying a camp stove?

bbrown

WKR
I'd reccomend Davis Tent - great stuff, good prices and very good customer service. I would avoid Denver/Colorado Tent - I have not had very good luck with them or their repairs and their prices seem to be much higher. Just my 2 cents...

Titaniumman

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on davis tent company.
What kit did you use for the stove??? Got any pics. I'd like a cheap stove and that may fit the bill.

My dad built it probably 25+ years ago. I know he bought the kit in the Seattle area but I don't know where. I will try to remember to look at it and see if there is a name stamped on it somewhere the next time I'm home.