Missouri Rok Slider's?

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
River Rat- I've said it before but ended up too busy for my own good... but I really would like to get up there for some fishing. May roll it into a training session for the fall. Hike-in fishing?

Jlbmlb4

FNG
I would be up for something in Jan/Feb. Duck season is over and fishing is still poor...armpit of the year in MO

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like the 24th would be a good time, but I gotta focus on gear and training gents. Bear and I will be heading down to Arkansas for a couple nights to use our gear and get my mule some trail time. I'll post up when we get that figured out. It'll be a "plan & prepare for yourself" backpacking excursion. If you're interested and aren't sure how to prepare, do some research around Rokslide or PM me.

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
It will be before Feb. for sure and the first of several training exercises before next September. Just gotta be mindful of how I'm using the time I take off.

Browtine

WKR
I'd be interested in a winter weekend trek. You guys looking at the Buffalo? Plenty of options around the river.

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I've been itching to do some tromping around the upper Buffalo for close to a decade. That's very realistic for us. You familiar with anything down there? Kinda would like to see the Nars, Hawksbill Crag, (Whitaker Peak), Hemmed-In Hollow... that's probably more than you can fit into a weekend though.

Browtine

WKR
I've been itching to do some tromping around the upper Buffalo for close to a decade. That's very realistic for us. You familiar with anything down there? Kinda would like to see the Nars, Hawksbill Crag, (Whitaker Peak), Hemmed-In Hollow... that's probably more than you can fit into a weekend though.

I've canoed it quite a few times, but have only hiked down there once. We were in the Ponca Wilderness and started at Compton TH, hit Hemmed-in Hollow and Big Bluff and then came out through Sneeds Creek. We did it in 3 days, two nights, but I also had my 10 year old with me. I can't remember the mileage off the top of my head, but did require a few river crossings. Sneed's Creek is open to stock, but not sure about the trail going down to H-in H.

There are also quite a few off trail waterfalls down there that require bushwacking and some map and compass work if that interests you guys. However, winter is probably not optimum time for waterfall viewing down there.

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I went elk huntin for 10 days when our 2nd was less than 2 months old... I'm a special kind of stupid.

River Rat isn't far from you. We can hook up close to home for an overnighter sometime if that helps. Indian creek CA?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went for 6 days this year when she was 6 months pregnant but that's about as much as I can get away with so far.

You're right river rat is about an hour away. There's a ton of places up this way. Eminence has a huge amount trails for horses and mules or there's Mark Twain all over.

rayporter

WKR
there are 8 river crossings between hemmed in hollow and the steel creek campground. one is fairly deep. stock is not allowed on the trail to hemmed in hollow.

it can be hiked on foot in a couple hours. i have followed boyscouts out when i was on horseback. they could do it in under 3 hours. i can lead a packhorse into henderson house in about 2 hours.

2 years ago the river was near flood level in december. we went hunting and had to worry a lot about swimming the stock in deep water. most years it is very low in december. like ankle deep.

Mofarmboy

FNG
Sorry been busy lately and haven't checked in on this.
If there's more interest in a overnight hike type g2g like pilgrim suggested that's cool with me. I'll probably still do a g2g squirrel/coyote shoot for friends and another forum (missouridisabledsportsmen.com) and if any roksliders wanna join the more the merrier.
How's deer season going? The family has had a phenomenal year with me and my step daughter killing our best bucks to date.