Lowa Bighorn Hunter Review

jherald

WKR
Bought a pair of the Lowa Bighorn Hunter after much research on them. The following is from a full day of wear, afterwards that 10 days in the brooks range and some probably 40 miles walked overall.

I have a slightly wider forefoot and they advertised a wider than normal last from their other boots. The fit was right on for my size 9 foot, and they had very little break in period. The sole is a soft rubber with corked inner treads, provided excellent grip on damp rocks in the morning and evenings. The midsole itself is softer than the Lowa Sheep Hunter/Tibet GTX and provides more cushion and I could tell after each day of ascent and descent with a pack that my feet were felling much better than with my Lowa Sheep Hunters. There is still a stiff insert in the midsole so you dont feel rocks and such under foot.

The boots have a gripping and locking 4th lace eye from the toe which really helped with pulling the forefoot tight and keeping them tight, allowing to lace up from there to the top of the boot with equal pressure on all eyelets and no lace slip. This kept the boot snug all day with no adjusting at all. I was leery of the swiveling locking lace and afraid there might be a chance of breakage over time and scree contact but there was never an issue with them at all, the locking lace eye is just as robust as the other eyelets. This lacing system kept my toes from jamming into the front of the boot on descents and it also helped keep my heel locked in and kept from slipping.

Ascent, descents, side hilling, hills, tussocks, hard tundra, scree, large and small rock and everything in between I did not get a single blister with these boots at all and no even a hot spot.

They are about a full inch shorter than (give or take another 1/4'') than the Sheep Hunter/Tibet GTX but they actually wore better for me than my old Lowa's.

We charged hard on this trip and covered more ground than a lot of people would have so the boots did take a beating. Scree and other rock did cut some of the rand and leather which is to be expected of a leather boot in those conditions. The sole wore very well and there wasnt much damage at all to the tread, some cuts from sharp rock and scree. The boots provided enough support to sidehill with a full pack of meat, cape, horns, gear, rifle and handgun.

The boots have 200 gram Primaloft insulation which didnt really seem to be a problem with all the heavy hiking we did. We even had some warmer weather to boot. Gold Bond foot powder helped keep foot sweat down and my socks never got too damp from the extra insulation. The gore-tex liner breathed well, as to be expected. The boots werent too hot during the day and the extra insulation was nice when sitting and glassing in the evenings and into the night. Leaving the boots totally open each night, they pretty much dried out by morning.

The only downside I noticed was some of the rubber rand had started to peel away at flex points but only ever so slight, and only by the end of the trip. Whether it be improperly glued at the factory or the wrong kind of glue for the rubber rand to leather bonding, I dont know. Lowa guarantees their boots so there wont be an issue there later.

Overall, for my feet, the best leather boot I've had yet to date. If you have a slightly wider forefoot I'd suggest taking a serious look at these boots.

I'm not a Lowa pro or get any kickbacks from Lowa, they were just honestly the best leather boots I've worn in the mountains to date.

LOWA3.JPG
LOWA1.JPG
LOWA2.jpg

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
I agree with your review 100%. I've tried at least 15 pair of mountain boots the last couple years and I've finally found a boot to replace my Lowa/Schnee Sheephunters. The boot is made for guys like us with a wider fore foot and normal to narrow heel. I too treked about 40 miles in the Brooks last week with no problems. When I got home I ordered another pair just to have them on hand.

My only small issue is also with the rand. Right at the flex point of my right foot, the rand has just a little separation. Awesome boots...

I've noticed the same little bit of separation on my Tibet GTX's at the left toe. Granted this was probably caused by crossing some pretty nasty scree/boulder fields with 50+ lbs on my back but it's there none the less. Otherwise loving my Lowas. I think the lacing system is top notch. Would toe rand separation be covered by warranty beyond the 1 year(?) standard?

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Bought a pair hoping they would work, size 13. But unfortunately they were actually a bit too big. Toes were hitting the front during testing. It's too bad they don't make a 12.5 because that might have been perfect. I normally find most euro boots too narrow but these were great width wise. Anyone know of a similar boot like the Bighorn (stiff support, moderate insulation, bomber construction). Willing to invest in quality so price isn't an issue. Thanks.
FJ

Sboada

FNG
Look at schnees offerings. I have the beartooths and love them but you may look at granites as they are stiffer.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with the Schneee Beartooth insulated version? Wondering how it would compare warmth wise to say the Lowa Bighorn (one thinsulate one primaloft) or the kenetrek Mtn extr 400?. Good review on the Lowa Bighorns but was surprised to hear the rand was separating after 40 hard miles...would think it would be more bomber than that.

Kotaman

WKR
The shale and scree in AK is tough on leather boots of any kind. I trashed a pair of Lowa/Schnee sheephunters in one trip from the jagged shale. Most of the guides I've had in the Brooks wear "plastics"...My Bighorns came through this last trip remarkably well considering the terrain...

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Understood. I have a pair of Koflach Degree that I wear when doing mountain climbs in nasty weather or super cold temps but they are heavy as sin...like 7 lbs heavy...9 with crampons.

OP
jherald

jherald

WKR
I agree with your review 100%. I've tried at least 15 pair of mountain boots the last couple years and I've finally found a boot to replace my Lowa/Schnee Sheephunters. The boot is made for guys like us with a wider fore foot and normal to narrow heel. I too treked about 40 miles in the Brooks last week with no problems. When I got home I ordered another pair just to have them on hand.

My only small issue is also with the rand. Right at the flex point of my right foot, the rand has just a little separation. Awesome boots...

Kotaman,

I got mine from shoebuy.com, and Lowa referred me back to them to send them back. So the warranty is good, I'd like to see if the rand does this on the next pair. If it does, I'll just take them to the boot shop here and have them add some extra rough heavy rand on the areas that peel. Overall though, carrying 120 or so pounds back to the airstrip and side hilling with that load, going up and down, all the way back to the strip, I was thoroughly impressed with the boots. Much more than I expected from them.

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Good review and good boots. I wear my Lowa Tibets the bulk of the year but switch to the Bighorn Hunters for late season in the mountains.

Kotaman

WKR
Kotaman,

I got mine from shoebuy.com, and Lowa referred me back to them to send them back. So the warranty is good, I'd like to see if the rand does this on the next pair. If it does, I'll just take them to the boot shop here and have them add some extra rough heavy rand on the areas that peel. Overall though, carrying 120 or so pounds back to the airstrip and side hilling with that load, going up and down, all the way back to the strip, I was thoroughly impressed with the boots. Much more than I expected from them.

I'm not gonna worry about it on mine...I may just put a little dab of shoe goo on it and call it good. The only time I had any foot issues on my AK hunt was on the way out going straight down and side hilling with a 100+ lb pack, the ball on my right foot (down hill side foot) developed a hot spot. (No blister) I don't think any leather boot could've done any better. Like I said, I was so impressed, I ordered another pair before they change them, or don't make them anymore.