Eating grouse on backcountry hunts

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I like plucking them and cooking them whole. I typically have a little lowry's along and use that for seasoning. Very good.

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
I keep a shaker of Montreal steak seasoning I'll do the whole bird over open fire good stuff

ScottP

WKR
Last time I shot one in the backcountry, there was a fire ban. So I boiled the meat in water, removed the meat and then used the water to make my mtn house. Then added the meat back into the pouch. Actually, I ate most of the breast meat while the MH was re-hydrating.

scarboy11

Lil-Rokslider
Last time I shot one in the backcountry, there was a fire ban. So I boiled the meat in water, removed the meat and then used the water to make my mtn house. Then added the meat back into the pouch. Actually, I ate most of the breast meat while the MH was re-hydrating.

What mountain house beef stew? That sounds tasty might be doing this next week!

Some grouse just cluck at you begging to be cooked so yea it's a fairly often occurrence and all I need is a small game license.

I shoot 10-20 grouse a year and about half are while hunting them with the dog and the other half are just simple opportunities that I can't pass up.

Dirtbag

WKR
When we hunt, we go fireless aside from the MSR stove and pot. Anyone have any other recipes for this method other than the ones above? I dont mind packing up some seasoning or stuff if it means good grouse.

Shrek

WKR
I know I wished I had an appropriate weapon for grouse last year. I had at least a half dozen opportunities to take those giant blue grouse in NW Montana. I just couldn't see blasting them with my 7mm wsm.

desertcj

WKR
I know I wished I had an appropriate weapon for grouse last year. I had at least a half dozen opportunities to take those giant blue grouse in NW Montana. I just couldn't see blasting them with my 7mm wsm.

Grouse nuggets come out just fine too! LOL

JWP58

WKR
Heathens I say!! One needs a fine bird dog and scattergun to take a grouse.

I keed, I keed...

During archery season Im taking some instant taters (thanks for the idea roksliders) and lawrys. Should be awesome.

Last edited:

ScottP

WKR
What mountain house beef stew? That sounds tasty might be doing this next week!

I don't recall what flavor MH it was, but chose one that went with the grouse. Likely a turkey tettrazinni, one of the chicken ones, or the stroganoff. I don't often take the stew, but that would work well.

the breast meat from a dusky is about as good as game bird meat gets. If I get one and cook at home, it just gets salt + pepper, then fried in butter in a cast iron skillet.