Missing opening day!

I have to vent...

My sister was keeping something from me and now I know why...

A couple months ago, I asked her when her wedding was, knowing that it was going to be this fall. She kind of side-skirted the question and we moved onto talking about something else. Well, a week ago, I received the invitation. 11/15. Opening day of the firearms deer season here in NY.

I can't believe she picked this day! It's not even that we (me, my dad, uncles, and cousins) will be missing opening day. We will be missing the entire opening weekend because we have to drive down to Maryland for the wedding! I don't think a male in my family has missed opening day since I started hunting 15 years ago.

That said, I couldn't be happier for her. She's always been a great sister. Until now... :D

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I told my sister I would skip her wedding if it was during hunting season and I meant it. She has been warned and now it's up to her.

KHNC

WKR
I would skip it too. My family knows better. My sis is having a "renewed vows" BS event in Oct. Still, she did it on a wed evening. :)

bbrown

WKR
Funny, I just has this conversation with a friend who asked me when not to have their wedding only to schedule it for that exact day.

And I'm the dick...

We aren't dicks. We are just passionate about hunting. We only have so many hunting seasons on this earth so any logical person should understand...right?

Leads me to my situation. My youngest (and favorite) sister was planning a wedding for September this year. We told her that both her brothers will not be there if that is the case as we will be chasing elk all month. She moved the date to October. Problem solved. :)

Another sacrilege thing in this state is to schedule a wedding on a Husker game day, especially a home day. Many people will boycott your wedding. Mainly because we ain't got much in this state except corn, cows, and Husker football...

jm1607

WKR
My sister had her stupid wedding the same day as my b-day, so it was completely overshadowed and I couldn't go out or anything.. Like, really?!?

J Gilbert

FNG
I missed the bow opener here in Georgia last fall- returned home from my honeymoon that day. My wife kept pushing for late September or October- our venue had two dates open when we went and ultimately paid the deposit, opening day of rifle season (Oct. 19) and Sept. 7. I mainly bow hunt anyway, but I will always be in the woods for the rifle opener, even if it's with bow in hand, so September 7 it was. My only issue now is that I have my anniversary then, it doesn't effect whitetail hunting but can mess up any trips I plan out west in the future- so I'll have to hunt before or after for a few years

E-2

Lil-Rokslider
I feel your pain. I am missing the Archery opening weekend here in VA so I can drive to Pittsburgh for my brothers wedding. Considering I am the best man... I have to go. I did tell him it is only happening once though. If there is a next time he better go to the courthouse.

I gave my, now wife, a block of three months for us to get married when we first started dating. Well that worked except I forgot the honeymoon aspect. I missed the antelope opener this year. Oh well. Just remember it's only one year.

OP
N
I'm pretty sure they'll videotape it for you.

I'm going to be in the wedding party. I guess they could skype me in though, right?

I'm glad I'm not the only one perturbed by this. My wife and I got married during the firearms season, but it is about 2 weeks into it. Getting married when all my family would be in town for Thanksgiving made sense. I can give up one night of hunting a year for my wife. Opening weekend is just crazy though!

I'm super excited for her though. I'm sure it will be a good time. I'll just have to take a couple extra vacation days to make up for the lost hunting time.

slick

WKR
You're a better man than I for going. My buddies wedding is October 4th and if I haven't stuck something by then, you won't be seeing me there. He's been warned, and so have other friends I'd be traveling with. Needless to say, they think I'm a few dirty words.

I'm calling my sister ASAP and warning her not to do that in the future haha

LostArra

WKR
On the first day of our deer season (Oct 1), I will be traveling to (hopefully) see a new grandchild. Due date is Sept 25.
I can't wait, it's my daughter's first child. Plus:

1. Opening day around here is over-rated. Our bow season is 3 1/2 months. Give me the first two weeks of November!

2. I am bowhunting Wyoming elk for 8 days in September.

Yes, I'm missing opening day but I'm still a lucky guy!

ethan

WKR
My anniversary is in June, my wife and both of my daughters birthdays are within one week of each other in August. I've told my girls they weren't allowed to get married in the fall and they were only allowed to date boys that hunt. Only allowed to marry boys that own land.....so I can hunt. Think I got all the bases covered!