Low power range, for a long range hunting scope?

solo06

FNG
So, I'll be heading out on my first western hunt this fall (Colorado elk), and I'm pretty sure this won't be my last western hunt. :) Considering upgrading my rifle for longer shots with a 300 win mag. My personal limit would be under 1,000 yards (I'll know better once I can actually practice with the new setup). Since I don't have a lot of experience hunting the west, I'm not really sure what power ranges I should be looking at for scopes (but I'd like more power than my current 10X). Some of the newer scope lines have some tremendous range to them. And, I'm just trying to only buy a new scope once. :)

Of course, there are several different scope companies with various features and prices, but just as examples for looking at power ranges, the Zeiss HD5 line includes:

3-15 X 42
3-15 X 50
5-25 X 50

For good light performance at higher magnifications during hunting conditions, I'm planning to go with a 50mm objective.

Looking at the power ranges, since there's no 3-25X scope of course, I'm not sure which end of the continuum to favor more, especially with with newer models having so much zooming range within a given scope: a good wide-angle low end or maximum top end zoom.

Very generally, for most western hunting, is 5X sufficient for the low end, or would I really appreciate being able to have a wider angle 3X?

At the other end, for most western hunting, I would guess that 15X would be adequate for longer shots, but would I really appreciate being able to crank that zoom closer to 20X or up to 25X to make longer shots easier? Or, would 25X be overkill, providing too much magnification for hunting conditions/shots? I also don't want to have to pack around a set of sandbags to shoot off of just to steady the rifle at 25X (ha ha).

So, 3-15 or 5-25? Thanks for your suggestions!

KHNC

WKR
You likely will never be taking a shot past 400 yds. I would go with 3-15 x 50 or 4-16 x 50. Check out Vortex PST line of scopes or the Razor series. If its past 400 and you aren't a seasoned LR shooter, skip it and stalk closer! Good Luck!

If I were to buy one scope for a carrying rifle capable of shots to 800 or so, I would get a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50. Durable, great glass, and absolutely reliable adjustments.

Yes, there is a definite difference between 3.5 and 5.5 at the lower power range. I only use the 5.5-22s on dedicated long range rigs.

Zbowman1

WKR
I just installed a Nightforce SHV 5-20 on one of my rifles. Great scope to get started with.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my experience and for MOST hunting and maybe longer shots, I prefer about a 16 power or so. 12, 14, 15 and 16 on the upper end for me. It's enough but not too much especially in low light and keeps the mirage down.

Randy

brushape

WKR
I did the same research as you for an upcoming Colorado hunt and ended up with a 4-16 vortex and absolutely love it so far I'm shot a pig at 30 yrds a deer at 80 yrds and targets to 650 and could easily go further. Great all around scope

Browtine

WKR
In my experience and for MOST hunting and maybe longer shots, I prefer about a 16 power or so. 12, 14, 15 and 16 on the upper end for me. It's enough but not too much especially in low light and keeps the mirage down.

Randy

This ^^^

I'm not a long range hunter, but like to clang steel. 16x is plenty for me to hit 14"x14" out to 1200.

Last edited:
I just installed a Nightforce SHV 5-20 on one of my rifles. Great scope to get started with.

thoughts on this? torn and my heads swollen with scopes. just when i make my mind up i change it. have looked through the shv 4-14, my eye likes it more than the vortex line and was thinking of the nxs compact 2.5-10x42 but i have a 10x now and always wish i had more upper end x. think if i am droppin $ a 14 or 16x will be a good place to move up to from 10x the IHR reticle is what i am digging was thinking the MOAR but the IHR is more clean to me and dialing up or down is pretty fast to me so the MOAR is not really needed for my application just a bonus when not hunting for fun. the SHV 5-20 is not much more $ than the 4-14 and weighs little more, both tanks.......

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
A Leupold 4.5-14 with CDS will take you always out there and is light weight and certainly more compact. Also some good close outs on the Leica ER line of scopes both 3-10 and 4-14. 30mm tubes and right at 16 oz, 12" and impressive as hell optics. You also didn't mention the rifle it's going on, that would have a lot to do with choice.

AZ Vince

WKR
I have a Zeiss 3 - 15 X 50 on my .338 Win Mag and a Zeiss 5 - 25 X 50 on my 6.5x284.
Between those two I consider myself well set up for anything I may hunt in the west.
Given that you have a .300 Win Mag I'd probably opt for the 3 - 15 X 50 if I could only have one scope. The 5 power, on the bottom end is too much for some of the situations you will run in to. It's handy if you know you'll be shooting long but to cover all your bases with just one scope is tough.

How about a March scope? Their "hunting" model has a great magnification range 2.5x25 power with a 42mm objective with excellent glass. They are not cheap but offer the entire range of magnification that you are looking for. I have never shot a rifle with one mounted but have talked with knowledgeable shooters who have and they liked them a lot. I have several different brands of scopes but my favorites are my NightForce NXS and SHV and I would not ever want to use anything else. Good luck!

rayporter

WKR
i have looked through a lot of scopes and i have to say that the March glass is always a 'WOW" when you look through it. but you pay for it in ounces and dollars.

if you get something with a large objective, such as a 50mm, you may have trouble fitting it in a scabbard.

Brado16

WKR
Just something else to maybe keep in mind is zero stops. Nothing worse than getting ready to take a shot and see that your elevation or windage turrets are not at 0 and wondering how many revolutions up or down is your true zero. I believe the SHV does not have zero stops but does have capped turrets which ensures that the elevation or windage dials do not get messed with until the covers are removed. From experience i feel that zero stops are a must on a hunting rig when your first shot counts. I have used the PST's with zero stops, Razor and NXS and prefer the NXS as far as optics & durability but just my preference.

KMD

Banned
After owning & hunting with every NXS model, the 3-15x50 is also what I'd pick of the bunch for a med/LR hunting rifle. That size scopes offers about the best compromise of features (turrets/parallax), usable zoom range, exit pupil range (brightness), and mounting height.

For that reason, I run Premier 3-15x50s on my med-LR hunting rifles. Glass has the "WOW" factor that offers super depth of field, excellent color rendition, edge to edge clarity & brightness, and a forgiving eyebox to enjoy it all thru. Granted, none of that is needed to kill a game animal, but great glass adds to the shooting experience. NXS glass is entirely functional, but the image thru an NXS appears flat, in comparison.
Another upgrade is a FFP reticle design, which allows the ability to hold ele/wind at any magnification. On low power, reticle functions and appears the same as a standard duplex. Cranked up, the reticle's subtensions become evident and usable. Best of both worlds, IMHO.

Premier Reticles has subsequently been bought out by Tangent Theta Corp, and their line of riflescopes is being further upgraded and marketed under TT.

OP
S

solo06

FNG
I really appreciate all of the feedback. You've added a lot of details and features to think about.

Regarding the low power end, you've convinced me to stay around 3x. That is helpful to have when something suddenly appears at close range (been there). And, I don't really need 25x to shoot under 1,000 yards. Upgrading the top end from my current 10x to around 15-18x should be fine for me.

I don't have the funds for a March scope, but that 2.5-25 x 42 is sure something to daydream about.

KMD

Banned
If you look around, you can prolly find a used Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 for around $500. NICE glass, NICE zoom range, side focus, quick reset capped turrets, and 30mm tube that allows 80moa of travel. I have two of these very scopes, and they both track true. A po' man's March, if you will @ 20% of the investment...

I have not had the chance to run the new NightForce SHV scope but I understand the new 5-20x SHV comes standard with a ZeroSet feature which should be similar to the ZeroStop on the other lines (NXS etc). I just recently returned from Alaska and used the 4-14x SHV and a Tikka T3 in 270WSM to drop a Dall Sheep at 520 yards with a single shoulder/lung shot. I love my NightForce optics!
FYI Bob Beck a sponsor here on RokSlide can get you a great deal on NF optics. He sold me all of mine!

I have not had the chance to run the new NightForce SHV scope but I understand the new 5-20x SHV comes standard with a ZeroSet feature which should be similar to the ZeroStop on the other lines (NXS etc). I just recently returned from Alaska and used the 4-14x SHV and a Tikka T3 in 270WSM to drop a Dall Sheep at 520 yards with a single shoulder/lung shot. I love my NightForce optics!
FYI Bob Beck a sponsor here on RokSlide can get you a great deal on NF optics. He sold me all of mine!
Nice job on the ram! Glad it all worked out for you...

Thanks Sam! I am working on a write up and getting all of the pictures ready. I am just so far behind at work I have not had enough time to put it all together in an organized fashion and get it written down. Hopefully soon and I will post it up.