short pants

2ski

WKR
I got an email today that Kuiu has come out with Tiburon shorts. They look fine but $90 for a pair of shorts. And why wear camo shorts if you can still see your pasty white legs? Now people wear camo everything these days even while not hunting so I have no doubt they will sell. Does anyone actually hunt in shorts?

littlebuf

Banned
90$ for a tag is one of the funniest things I've ever heard, the fan boys are going to buy um out you watch. I pack in wearing board shorts often. I kinda like my black and white flower pattern but I got some skull ones too

ohoopee

WKR
I wear shorts under asat leafy on east coast. Bow season starts in about 25 days and its still very hot. Hard to beat a good pair of exofficio boxers for hunting when its 95 degrees though:)

Yeah, I got the same email and had the same thought, $90 for a pair of shorts? Really? I could see $40 for well made, state of the art fabric as these seem to be but geez guys $90 for shorts. No way.

I got an email today that Kuiu has come out with Tiburon shorts. They look fine but $90 for a pair of shorts. And why wear camo shorts if you can still see your pasty white legs? Now people wear camo everything these days even while not hunting so I have no doubt they will sell. Does anyone actually hunt in shorts?

I got to say I've worn shorts on several hunts all of which have been in Alaska. And I've worn them in the months ranging from August into October and from the Brooks Range down to Kodiak. I'm pretty sure that I have shorts on in my avatar picture (Alaska Range in early September), with polypro longjohns underneath. That being said, I don't believe I'll be spending $90 for a pair of shorts anytime soon.

wapitibob

WKR
I wore shorts almost exclusively last year in AZ. Lightweight smart wool base layer btms and camo shorts. Worked darn well. I'm doing the same thing next weekend for our elk opener. Lightweight camo would certainly be better than the cotton camo shorts I had last year. I'd buy those kuiu in a second if they were half what they're asking for them. I got the idea from a Facebook pic Gillingham had. When it's 85 deg out it works.

Instead of being shorts only, they should have just made a second pair of Tiburons with the optional zip off pant legs. I have a pair of earth brown light weight pants that have zip off legs and love them. Wear them as shorts hiking in and can zip the legs on for hunting and when it cools off a bit. I would see a larger market for them than the option of shorts only.

OP

2ski

WKR
That was my first thought was a base layer beneath shorts but then why not just wear a lightweight pair of hunting pants. I'm not arguing here. I'm just curious how much cooler it is with the shorts/base layer in your experiences.

gmajor

WKR
I thought the email was hilarious tbh. If it's warm I wear Prana rock zion pants (they used to make them in a sage/olive green). Heck, those things are amazing. 100+ degree temps down to freezing with baselayer. Tiburon shorts??

AZ Vince

WKR
Instead of being shorts only, they should have just made a second pair of Tiburons with the optional zip off pant legs. I have a pair of earth brown light weight pants that have zip off legs and love them. Wear them as shorts hiking in and can zip the legs on for hunting and when it cools off a bit. I would see a larger market for them than the option of shorts only.
That would be a good option.
I don't favor shorts when hunting or scouting but for backpacking in the Summer they'd be dandy. The camo pattern would signal that I'm also a hunter but wouldn't be too bold about it.

wapitibob

WKR
For me it was the real light smartwool base with shorts vs ascent pants. The difference was noticeable. I would have gone shorts only if my bird legs weren't snow white. The base was just for a camo affect. In nm I used to wear those mesh pants from cabelas. Those things are pretty nice too. Like mesh t shirt material.

charvey9

WKR
Dude. Those will look awesome with some long black socks and sandles. Actually, I'm sure they are nice but $90 does seem steep. Would be good for fishing/boating, but don't think I would use a pair for hunting.

I think zip off trail pants are a better idea. I'm really hoping for a Kuiu speedo to go with my birkenstocks and rag wool socks...:rolleyes:

I'm glad they finall came out with tiburon pants in a solid color. And was excited about the shorts as well until I just say all you guys say 90 bucks.... Jesus

Browtine

WKR
The Tiburon pant is $139 and those shorts have to be at least 2/3rds of the pants. $139 x .66 = $91.74 so they're actually a good deal! ;)

ohoopee

WKR
I received the Kuiu shorts today and went out in 95 degree heat scouting. The pants breath well and are cooler. However, the pocket openings are rather tight and will be tighter with bow gloves. The stretch fabric is not used around pocket openings or the waist. However, they are well made and I will keep them. The guy that tested the tiburon shirt with small forearms probably has small hands also?

kickemall

WKR
As someone said above, a pair of Tiburon pants with zip off legs would be ideal. I hike in wearing shorts so then I could just zip on the legs and I'm good to go. $90.00 for shorts only? No thank you.