Maven B1's

WKR
I finally bit the bullet and jumped into high end optics. I'm a new hunter but I've read 1000 places that good optics are worth the price and to "buy once, cry once".

The Maven optical test data is impressive for the retail cost. They're following the KUIU business model of "direct to consumer" which I like (big fan of KUIU).

Anyway, hope you guys are right and that I'll be happy with the considerable investment. (I'm already convinced you're right, but that's a lot of $$$ for binoculars, still recovering...)

Last edited:

adirondak5

Lil-Rokslider
I read about Maven a week or two ago , then I checked out their web site , looks good , the building tool for the binoc's is cool , the options are pretty neat ,especially the camo , they even have verde and vias as finish options .
307 , what did you order and with what options ?

adirondak5

Lil-Rokslider
Are they a spin-off from Brunton?

I got that impression , I just checked the article I read about them again , if you google " Outdoor Life Maven " you should find the article , it suggests a connection .
Nice idea customizing binocs , in a crowded market that does set them apart , wonder how they would do in a side by side with comparable brands .

OP

WKR
It's the same guys that worked for Brunton. Brunton is supposedly getting out of optics and Maven is just launching.

I got a plain set of B1 8x42's. The builder tool is really cool. If you have a strong allegiance to a sports team or something like that you could design a really cool looking high end set of binos. I didn't care about the customization, just wanted the highest level of performance for a more reasonable (how the heck is $900 "reasonable"?) price.

Talked to the guys and they had some interesting experiences on a recent "tour" of outdoor shows. Lots of rather well off individuals who already own Leica and Swaro's picking up a pair of Maven's after trying them at their booth. I don't understand all the details but the ocular lens of the Maven is supposedly really big compared to other high end optics. You can use them with glasses on which is huge. There were other details most of which I didn't fully understand.

OP

WKR
They have their 3rd party testing data on the website if you care to look at it. Most of it is rather technical in nature to me, but then again I'm new to this whole game. I, personally, would trust a 3rd party test more than individual opinions. People aren't very objective even under the best circumstances and add in brand reputation, marketing, and a whole host of other emotional factors and it gets pretty "fuzzy". The actual tested difference between the Maven's and the highest performers in the optical industry is extremely small while the price difference is extremely large. Direct to consumer is a really smart business model IMO.

***as a disclaimer, I have nothing to gain from Maven other than I think it's a cool new company run by good people who are the furthest thing from "corporate".

OP

WKR
I took these scouting last weekend. Very happy with the purchase. No problems using them with Rx glasses. Are you able to do that with all high end binocs?

Good to hear! I have a set coming to test this week. To answer your question about glasses and bino's. Most binoculars have adjustable eyecups which allows you to determine your eye relief, or distance from your eye to the ocular lenses. Folks with glasses would need the eyecups in closer to the bino as your glasses already prohibit you from getting in tight to them if the eyecups are twisted out. Folks that don't use glasses would typically have the eyecups twisted out to some degree in order to achieve a more full field of view. Hope that helps.

drake7

FNG
Has anyone seen a side by side comparison with other brands. I'm at the RMEF event in Vegas this week and just saw them yesterday. Very impressive, clear quality optics. Little to no side by side testing available on the web though. Hoping somebody has seen some comparison info.

7stw

WKR
I'm strongly considering a pair of these as a replacement for a current pair. The reviews although not many sound promising.

WRO

WKR
I haven't seen a real review. Field and Stream named the Terra's the binocular of the year.. Until I can hold them or see a good birder review, I'd wait. At the end of the day they have Japanese glass in them and it just doesn't stand up in most cases (Kowa promiar being an exception) to Schott Glass from germany.

And yes you can use high end optics with prescription glasses just fine.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
HAHA, the Terra's are garbage! I would never buy any glass until I can look through them in an outdoor setting. Because most glass looks great in the store!

Shrek

WKR
After the slow warranty service I have received from Zeiss I won't be buying their products.9 and then 10 weeks to fix a scope erector was too much not to mention having to send the same scope back in consecutive years. Service counts and Zeiss misses the mark. I'm buying Swarovski for scopes and they will be my next binoculars probably. I don't ever hear of bad customer service from Swarovski and what I've owned has been tops for performance and quality. Besides , if I wanted asian glass it would be from Vortex .

OP

WKR
I'd look at the 3rd party independent testing data as far as comparison. People are too easily influenced by marketing and association even when they don't realize it. I think you'll find that the Maven's are an exceptional product for the $. I've been told that the Maven's are essentially the same optically as the top models from Zeiss, and Leica, and the Swaro SLC at 1/2 the cost. The Swaro highest end binocs are fractionally better data wise for somewhere around triple the cost of Maven.

Shrek

WKR
Who paid for the third party testing ? I'm skeptical of most third party testing as someone is paying for it and motivations are often hidden. S&P had all those mortgage backed securities as triple A plus superior rated because that's what the investment firms who were paying them wanted. Third party clothing testers come in all over the board rating the same waterproof and breathability fabrics. Mostly in line with who is paying. There are a few well respected guys over on the bird forum whose opinions I respect but even then it only matters what your eyes like.