hunting superstitons

we all have them. I am sitting here with a itchy week old beard 9 days before opening weekend. I grew one last season and killed a big bull.I hate the beard growing, but you can bet im doing it again! I also found the skull of a bull with his antlers cut off,but the eye teeth were still there, put em in my rangefinder pouch before i killed my bull. they are staying put too. so, what "medicine" do you guys carry? or what routines do you do year in and out?

ethan

WKR
My grandfather wore a St. Christopher medallion around his neck. Oddly enough, he wasn't religious at all. I do not have the medallion, but I do have the chain and it has been inside of a small deer skin pouch I made for years. I also carry a very small lock hair from my daughters and my wife. Kind of weird I guess, but that pouch has been with me to Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, and all over the mountains and hollers of east Tn. I don't consider myself superstitious but just the same, it's always with me.

Shrek

WKR
I don't have any hunting superstitions but I have fished commercial and as the center of my life for years and there are absolutely no bananas allowed on my boat or even eaten before I leave to fish. I vividly remember as a kid fishing for yellowtail off Key West with Hector and watching a big school of flags in our chum but our baits falling through untouched. Frustrated , we sat down to eat and I pulled out a banana. Hector about lost his religion ! He tossed the banana overboard and we scrubbed the whole boat. Started fishing again and filled a 600lb box in a couple of hours with five pound yellowtail snapper. I'm not sure it was the banana but I'll never take the chance.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many years back I read a story in bugle about an outfitter in Wyoming I believe his name was Ron dube. After a harvest he said a prayer to the elk gods. This was very cool so I started the tradition and bury the elk heart of every harvest. The wapiti gods have shined on me ever since.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many years back I read a story in bugle about an outfitter in Wyoming I believe his name was Ron dube. After a harvest he said a prayer to the elk gods. This was very cool so I started the tradition and bury the elk heart of every harvest. The wapiti gods have shined on me ever since.
You should expand it to a full fledged religion. I'll attend that church. :)

AndyB

WKR
In a lot of European countries they have a small ritual called 'The last Eat', you may have seen pics of game taken with a sprig of leaves placed in its mouth.

It goes back a looong way and gives thanks to the animal for its life and for providing you with food, so the sprig represents its token last meal that you are giving it in return.
I like that.

Jon Boy

WKR
In a lot of European countries they have a small ritual called 'The last Eat', you may have seen pics of game taken with a sprig of leaves placed in its mouth.

It goes back a looong way and gives thanks to the animal for its life and for providing you with food, so the sprig represents its token last meal that you are giving it in return.
I like that.

I do this with every animal I take

jdmdavey

Lil-Rokslider

I like that.

I also do this with every animal I take. I also thank God for the animal he created for me, and for our safety on the hunt.

OP
Bonedalien
My grandfather wore a St. Christopher medallion around his neck. Oddly enough, he wasn't religious at all. I do not have the medallion, but I do have the chain and it has been inside of a small deer skin pouch I made for years. I also carry a very small lock hair from my daughters and my wife. Kind of weird I guess, but that pouch has been with me to Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, and all over the mountains and hollers of east Tn. I don't consider myself superstitious but just the same, it's always with me.
i think that is realy cool. my little girl was a bit confused when i just snipped a bit of hair from her:)

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member

I like that.
I may start doing this, it's a pretty neat tradition. I also thank the animal and god. Traditions like these add a since of reverence to a bittersweet moment, I think