SHTF's EXO 3500 modifications

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Starting a running thread of my exo 3500 and what I'm modifying adding. After my 5 - 7 day solo elk hunt I will do an Indepth review. I'm leaving out Friday night and will be doing a semi live hunt along with gear reviews of what I am using this year. For now here are some things I am doing with my exo 3500.

Added some of these (forget what they are called) for my HUMP 100 liter bladder holder

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409196771.577640.jpg

Will fix photos as I go if they don't attach right.

Here it is attached

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409196973.522372.jpg

Added paracord loop between them to hang the bladder from. This keeps it from sinking down to the bottom

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409197363.654073.jpg

Last edited:
OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Awesome feature I love about the exo is they put the drink tube ports right where your right and left shoulder strap are at. Pretty sweet design idea Steve and Lenny.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409197664.608283.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409197709.499062.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409197827.544216.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409197853.009726.jpg

I don't know about you guys but I hate having the drink tube hitting me in the back of the head.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't know about you guys but I hate having the drink tube hitting me in the back of the head.

I've never had that problem, but I usually have my bladder in an outside pocket somewhere with the tube running over my shoulder. I had an o-ring go out on my Camelback a few years ago and drenched everything inside my bag. Haven't put a bladder inside the bag since.

dotman

WKR
Can you post up pics of the back side of the bag and the attachment points? How easily do you think the bag would attach to a Kifaru Bikini?

Bmcox86

WKR
I run my bladder in the side pocket, never have to take it out on a trip, have the sawyer fill hook up where I can fill from the drinking tube. I use a small s binder to hook in in the pocket. Works great. It's a 70oz plate zip

Vandal 44

WKR
My Kifaru 5,200 bag does not fit on my EXO frame I tried last night. I did the same thing you did but hooked my water bladder to the frame. I need to spend more time with EXO before I sell my Kifaru Bikini and bag. I really like the way the EXO fits and rides. I am interested in your review when you get back from your hunt. Good Luck

KMD

Banned
Interesting mod, using the Grimlocs...

Think I've got it figured how to hang my bladder in the Exo. Can hang it between the frame & bag, or inside the bag itself...

Picked up these 18" Velcro straps from REI (the 18" Royal Blue ones) for $2.50 a pair.
http://www.rei.com/product/848430/redpoint-sport-wrap-package-of-2
0104573c-abcd-4117-b531-aff0a6cbb372.jpg

Threaded one thru the drop loops in the bag, and one thru the drop loops on the frame, the straps are a perfect fit. The Velcro holds tight enough, but I wrapped some black tape around them, for peace of mind. Effectively, the strap is now a 'crossmember' from which to hang my 3L Source bladder, by a single carabiner...

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I havent had a chance to get the requests going on this. I will try this week. I was out hunting all last week and now back to work till the last weekend of this month when i go out again to try and fill my tag. Great idea on the velcro straps KMD. I may try that. I didnt think about hanging my waterbladder off the frame. I may check that out also. the H.U.M.P bag for my bladder is made of 1000d Cordura so its not the lightest material. I was thinking of snagging the EXO Water bladder or the Kifaru one to pull it off and lighten it up a bit.

Exo 3500 has been an awesome pack so far. Love it. Its definitely one of the better packs Ive used and Ive used alot of them.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
So what do you think you will be cutting off of it?

Rizzy I dont see me cutting anything off the Exo. Everything they put on it is well thought out and necessary.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Can you post up pics of the back side of the bag and the attachment points? How easily do you think the bag would attach to a Kifaru Bikini?

DOT will try and get this for you tonight. I know that Stid has attached the T1 to his Exo Frame so I imagine it would work well visa versa.

n2horns

WKR
I picked up the slurpee bag and put my big zip 3l inside. I attached the big zip with grim locks as well. Find them and the carabiner style all over, here is a quick link to ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=grimlock+carabiner&_frs=1

I have my water on the inside frame, most likely will be moving it to the inside bag. I have used para cord many times to hold up water bags. the grim locks work out well.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Today I ordered another Hill People Gear Highlander https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/6/ProductID/16/Default.aspx This is the perfect pannel/2000 ci extra capacity for the Exo. Its a stand alone Load sling, has a water bladder sleeve for your bladder and will mount straight to the frame. I can also use it as a cargo panel for the Exo and take off my main bag to attach it straight to the Exo frame. For a smaller pack. Here is a Photo of it attached straight to a Kifaru Duplex Frame.

The Highlander is an oversized Tarahumara. Has lots of attachment points and should work really well to increase the versatility of the Exo. So now I have 2 packs in one with this option.

Steve makes a load sling and panel for the Exo but I wanted to take it a step further with the Highlander. I Can fill this up and still attach my Exo 3500 bag to the frame because of the slim design of the bag. It carries alot of gear also.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Shtf, would you happen to have a pic of the highlander sandwiched between the 3500 and the frame?

Not at this time but I can probably set that up for you. Its how I hunted this year. Cant put alot into the highlander like this as it takes up room from the Exo bag. But it works and I put alot of smaller things into it.

Will try and throw it together this weekend for you.

Starting a running thread of my exo 3500 and what I'm modifying adding. After my 5 - 7 day solo elk hunt I will do an Indepth review. I'm leaving out Friday night and will be doing a semi live hunt along with gear reviews of what I am using this year. For now here are some things I am doing with my exo 3500.

Added some of these (forget what they are called) for my HUMP 100 liter bladder holder

View attachment 18512

James, I think you could shed some weight by using gate-keepers instead of grimlocks.
Hunt'nFish

DN050010%20large.jpg

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks Mike. Yeah I havent been playing with much. I will do some more fiddling Also I have a video I did I have to find about cutting out those locking buckles. They now are easy to adjust and still hold solid. I didnt like the locking buckles at all.