SHTF semi live elk hunt

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409679666.971073.jpg

Sitting high up the top of this draw there is a heavily used game trail below I have my decoy setup so it can be seen below. Pre rut hunting is really beating my ass. Saturday Brian and I had a bull within 40 yards just above where I am now the wind is blowing perfect direction up the draw. Let's see what happens. I'm throwing an occasional cow call hoping to draw one this way

Perfect shot window here also.

Think I saw your 4Runner on my way back up to hunt. Had to bring Morgan back to town after Memorial Day. Anyway I'm up solo, and if you get something need help packing let me know.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Mule deer doe just went by
At 50 yards I'm sitting on the edge of a high meadow and she comes lolly gagging through it. Didn't even catch my scent. Tried to get a pic but phone was turned off

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
K another 6 miles the other way. Nothing spotted accept mule deer. Thinking about a new game plan and relocating. 2 days without any elk spotting. I'm definitely not done but I'm not going to keep waisting resources and energy. If you Colorado folks got any hot tips on areas that are active I am all ears. Otherwise going home for a shower a non freeze dried meal and some research on a new spot :)

eltaco

WKR
I've been up since the opener and have managed to get on bulls every day, but all spot and stalk. The rut is definitely kicking in, bulls are herding cows and sniffing tail, but very quiet. Lots of sparring going on right now. Not sure if the crazy wind has them quiet, or what, but calls have been useless thus far... which I admit is my go-to 90% of the time. My best advice based on what I'm seeing is to get somewhere at treeline where you can find them feeding early in the am. They seem to be slipping back into timber by 615-630. Good luck out there. I feel like the crazy switch is just about to flip!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
15 days? I thought they started going into full swing next week. Am I wrong?

I wouldn't say "full swing". Sure they will be bugling, and the smaller bulls will be gathering and positioning, but full swing won't be until later.......just like it is every other year........at least in CO.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I've been up since the opener and have managed to get on bulls every day, but all spot and stalk. The rut is definitely kicking in, bulls are herding cows and sniffing tail, but very quiet. Lots of sparring going on right now. Not sure if the crazy wind has them quiet, or what, but calls have been useless thus far... which I admit is my go-to 90% of the time. My best advice based on what I'm seeing is to get somewhere at treeline where you can find them feeding early in the am. They seem to be slipping back into timber by 615-630. Good luck out there. I feel like the crazy switch is just about to flip!

Thanks man. I got a good night sleep am doing my wash then getting back out researching areas now.

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't say "full swing". Sure they will be bugling, and the smaller bulls will be gathering and positioning, but full swing won't be until later.......just like it is every other year........at least in CO.

Man following this hunt is killing me in anticipation of our hunt in 15 days up in CO.

eltaco

WKR
Ya, in about 15 days.
I'll promise you that you'll find bulls out of their minds in much less than 15 days. I've called in and shot bulls in CO first week of season that were extremely aggressive... Just like every year in CO ;)

Already this year, I've seen a 300+ with 35 cows and a 350 bull with a small herd. I've also found big bulls without cows, but their interest is peaking. Cows are obviously not in estrus yet, but trust me when I say there's a lot of aggressive rutting action that occurs before the cows are ready.

I expect next week to be very good here in CO.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
ok I got a new plan now. leaving out early in the AM to get out there at first light. I have until Sunday to get it done but then can hunt the weekends throughout the month. I am die hard wanting to get my tag filled this year. I have to be careful with that though because Im a firm believer if you want it to bad it just wont happen but if I go out have fun then things happen. That thinking has ruled my entire life it seems. I maybe hitting up some fellas for pack out if I score. Its about 3 miles in to get to the spot that Im making camp at.

Shrek

WKR
You're taking this Shrek style way too far. Hunting alone , can't find an elk to save your life , and now pulling up camp and moving to a totally new area :) . Good hunting .

I've had good luck early in the rut with bugling/chuckling bulls in. Don't get too aggressive but they want to know what other bulls are in their area! Locate bugle and if ya get an answer be aggressive and go right at him chuckling as you go to let him know you want to check him out. Good luck

eltaco

WKR
I've had good luck early in the rut with bugling/chuckling bulls in. Don't get too aggressive but they want to know what other bulls are in their area! Locate bugle and if ya get an answer be aggressive and go right at him chuckling as you go to let him know you want to check him out. Good luck
Me too! Opening week is typically my favorite, but this week has just not been that way. Not sure if it's the wind speeds or what, but have only heard one bugle and not called in a silent bull yet. Really odd. Been into a good amount of bulls and even when I'm close to them they aren't bugling.

I'm seeing a TON of sparring on the mountain. Bigger bulls have mostly all been with cows and herding, chasing smaller bulls off.

Hopefully something changes in the next couple of days. Down to the wire on my 9 day hunt!

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
He's hunting with the recurve. I know how those days seem like nothing is around then suddenly you have a bull looking at you 40 yds away.

I like to describe elk hunting as hours of boredom punctuated occasionally with minutes of sheer terror. Keep your chin up and your feathers dry. I'll be on the mountain in WY by this time next week.