Gore Tex boots are ALL a joke.....c'mon

I would like to ask the Roksliders......does anyone have a boot that is worth a Dixie cup of piss, when it comes to waterproofness? And I am not speaking of creek crossings or standing in water.

I have run several pair of US Danners, and Lowa Tibets. Not one of them will last more than 30 seconds walking in dew laden grass. The Danners are the worst and will literally be soaked in 30 seconds. The Lowas will realistically last maybe 3 minutes.

All have tags that say "Gore Tex" and command a Premium in price for wearing the tag.

Suggestions? Not that trying to find correct boot fit isn't tough enough, without having to thin the possible options due to performance issues.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Did you treat your boots with a good leather treatment? That's the first thing I would do which is probably better than gortex anyway but you shouldn't be soaking they that quick with the lowas.

Ironman8

WKR
My Asolo Fugitives have been waterproof going on 3 years now. Lots of reviews I've read say the same thing that the gtx seems to last longer in the Fugitives for some reason. Of course, I can only speak for my experiences...I was in a downpour pretty much from morning to noon last season and my feet were completely dry. I also use Nikwax before every season too.

colonel00

WKR
Since you mention wet grass, are you wearing gaiters or are your pants getting wet from the grass as well?

I live on the rain coast, rain forest and have Irish Setter Gore Tex boots. These work great no wet feet all day rain through creeks and bogs. By the way I believe you are not suppose to use petroleum based leather paste on Gore Tex boots. Something about the leather breathing, they say synthetic leather conditioner. That's what I use and it works for me, just my .02$ worth.

Last edited:

aka

FNG
Since you mention wet grass, are you wearing gaiters or are your pants getting wet from the grass as well?
That's what I'm thinking. Tall vegetation will soak your pants and your socks will wick the moisture right down into your boot. In very tall brush I actually will wear my gaitors under my pants to form a "shingle" effect and prevent water from running down my gaitors from the top.

OP
J
With the Danners.....I can feel the water leaking through right around the front toe eyelets. It's not capillary action moving moisture down into my feet.

hockey7

FNG
I'm thinking the dew scenario also. Try gaitors. My son was complaining about wet socks with his Kennetreks, sent them back, they did a water test and were fine.

He used gaitors, problem solved.

could be the goretex bootee or lining is compromised somehow Or just not made well. (bad seam or something) They should keep rain water out.

Yukon

FNG
Treat your boots often with a good waterproofing product like Nikwax. Then wear gaitors to keep the water from getting down from the top and you should be good. I wear Meindel Alaskans from Cabelas and Kuiu gaiters and my feet are often the driest part on my body when walking through we brush.

Ksbowhtr

FNG
I had 2 pairs of Danner pronghorns. The first pair leaked right out of the box, the second pair was no better. I would stay away form Danner boots altogether. As to the Gortex question, I would never have a pair of boots without it. I have had two pairs of cabellas boots that never leaked. Even with a hole in the leather one pair didn't leak. The key is how the manufacturer uses the gortex. If they wrap the gortex around the whole foot, it works great. Some manufactures only sew it in from the edge of the sole around the top of the foot. This will leak relatively quickly. I have a pair of Soloman gtrx boots now. So far so good with them.

Personally I've never had a goretex boot that DIDNT leak after one season. Don't know why but I think the liner breaks down with lots of miles put on, and when you work that material in wet conditions it's going to facilitate that moisture getting through. And that it running kuiu gaiters and my pant cuffs n shoelaces are dry. Just been my experience. Used Rockys, Irish Setters, and Hanwags. Didn't get into wet conditions with my asolos or kenetreks before selling them. I would say the boots that soaked through lasted about 200 miles or less.

I did a water test on my boots a couple years back
Kenetrek mtn extremes and asolo fugitives. Filled both to the top with water, kenetreks were 2 years old and plenty of wear, they held a full boots worth overnight. Asolos had exactly 3 hikes on them and we're leaking water within 2minutes and ended up leaking it all out within 20 minutes! Good treated leather is better than goretex any day imho!

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Gore Tex has worked pretty well for me. As long as the material holds it's integrity and isn't damaged, I've never leaked through. Water coming in the top of the boot from wet pants and therefore wet socks is usually the culprit. Gaiters help a lot.

Last edited:

Flyrod

Lil-Rokslider
...are you running a hard plastic edged insole like Superfeet? Those plastic bases tear up gtex in no time….

trim your toe nails lately ?
maybe overly sweaty feet?…lol JK…

Inevitably the gtex will fail…. then its time for a good leather proofer….

My Asolo Fugitives have been waterproof going on 3 years now. Lots of reviews I've read say the same thing that the gtx seems to last longer in the Fugitives for some reason. Of course, I can only speak for my experiences...I was in a downpour pretty much from morning to noon last season and my feet were completely dry. I also use Nikwax before every season too.

x2. I'm on my second pair of these boots. This archery season has been really wet and I've spent multiple morning and evening hunts walking in dew or drippy conditions. Even in a heavy downpour the gore-tex in these boots has kept my feet as dry as can be expected.

Best boot or glove water proof material is outdry. Does away with the bootie and seams. Unfortunately the upper end boots made with it are not sold in the US for now

Last edited:

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally I've never had a goretex boot that DIDNT leak after one season. Don't know why but I think the liner breaks down with lots of miles put on, and when you work that material in wet conditions it's going to facilitate that moisture getting through. And that it running kuiu gaiters and my pant cuffs n shoelaces are dry. Just been my experience. Used Rockys, Irish Setters, and Hanwags. Didn't get into wet conditions with my asolos or kenetreks before selling them. I would say the boots that soaked through lasted about 200 miles or less.

Yeah, what Mike said. And yes, Danners are the worse. I don't have much luck with GORE TEX rain gear either......................

Randy

littlebuf

Banned
My feet are always dry in My kenetrek mountain extremes. I see a little moisture from time to time where I hunt