what tent stakes to buy?

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Guys,

I just picked up a megatarp and annex. I need tent stakes for and and am not sure what to get. Goundhogs, minigroundhogs, easton nano's? What do you guys recommend? I dont have access to any of these so i will need to order them. I guess i can use up to 18 of them on this tent set up.

Thanks!

colonel00

WKR
For my SL5 I have 8 Groundhogs for the main points and 4-6 mini's for the guy-outs. They have worked great for me so far but it will also depend on the soil (or snow) that you will be pitching on.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Groundhog stakes are the one's I use the most. They are lightweight, durable and work well in most situations. That said, when I camp in the CO, I usually carry a couple of "nail" type stakes as well as a few REI Snow Stakes…just in case. It never hurts to be prepared. If not, you may be whittling stakes, which I have done on several occasions.

Can't go wrong with the groundhogs. The minis and nano's seem to work well in low stress areas.
Pretty inexpensive, a touch heavier, and 2" longer the coughlan stakes from wal mart/dicks sporting goods work well too.

mfolch

WKR
Avoid he minigroundhogs. I broke two of them hammering them pretty mildly into a designated campsite the very first time I used them. The regular groundhogs and carbon core titanium nails held up much better.

Shrek

WKR
These http://diygearsupply.com/product/aluminum-y-stake/

Pretty much a groundhog at 1/2 the price and lighter as well. You do have to pay shipping though, so it may kill the deal for you.

Have you tested these ? Reason I ask is I bought some Vargo aluminum stakes and they were pathetically weak. Folded the heads over on a handful the first time I used them. Replaced them with some groundhogs and it was no problem in the same ground. I found out the hard way that all aluminum stakes are not equal.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Good comments. I was just wondering about this the other day.
What about for wall tents where weight isn't an issue?

ACC

FNG
Good comments. I was just wondering about this the other day.
What about for wall tents where weight isn't an issue?

For a wall tent where weight isn't an issue I use a piece of 3/8 rebar with a washer welded on top.

mcseal2

WKR
I use the 7" Kelty nobendium II stakes with my Megatarp and annex. Looks like the groundhogs are lighter at .35oz compared to .5oz. The Kelty's have sure worked good for me so far.

Is Scott even in business anymore?
I used a tarp of his while experimenting with hammocks, never used his stakes. Probably been 4 years since last contact.

I am pretty sure I ordered from DIYGearSupply.com for my tarp materials.

I use the mini groundhogs for my hammock and tarp. They don't work all that great in really lose soil, but they do well in the packed dirt/clay.

Have you tested these ? Reason I ask is I bought some Vargo aluminum stakes and they were pathetically weak. Folded the heads over on a handful the first time I used them. Replaced them with some groundhogs and it was no problem in the same ground. I found out the hard way that all aluminum stakes are not equal.

I've been running these for the last 2 years without failure in the western and eastern sierras. Admittedly I haven't used them in a situation where I needed a hammer to get them in the ground though mind you. I have a few that have beat up heads from hitting them with rocks, but nothing out of the ordinary. I would think the Groundhogs might be made of a little bit harder material judging by their weight, but that's just a guess as I can't bring myself to pay $2.50 for 1 stake. These are so cheap and light I can carry a few spares to make up for it is the way I look at it.

Ground hogs are good but I have been using the RUTALOCURA carbon stakes this past year with great results as far as strength to weight goes.

OP
beetlespin

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered 16 8" Easton nano stakes. They will come in on Thursday so we will see how they work. I was set on groundhogs but decided to give these a try. I think they are USA made