Lightest Vertical grip stock

First off I'm new to the buying aftermarket stock thing. Im looking for a lightweight vertical grip stock for a mountain rifle build.

The top 3 I've come up with is

1. Gamescout w/ edge fill- 1.5-1.8lbs? (havent seen any hard numbers on this yet, I've emailed macmillian)
2. Manners T2 100% carbon fiber shell. 2.1lbs
3. Macmillian A3 w/ edge fill. 2lbs

Is there any other lightweight stocks in the same category I'm missing?

The game scout with edge fill has my highest attention since it is the lightest and the forend seems slimmer than the A3. but I'm worried about the comb not being high enough. I usually always shoot prone but my scope is a 40 mm on low night force rings. so the comb may be high enough?

The A3 forend felt way too wide for my taste. out of the 3 stocks the a3 is the only one I've personally handled.

Also, where have you guys been buying your stocks from? What kind of wait times have you experienced? Is it better to order it with no inlet and have a smith inlet it or have it come inletted?

Last edited:

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
First off I'm new to the buying aftermarket stock thing. Im looking for a lightweight vertical grip stock for a mountain rifle build.

The top 3 I've come up with is

1. Gamescout w/ edge fill- 1.5-1.8lbs? (havent seen any hard numbers on this yet, I've emailed macmillian)
2. Manners T2 100% carbon fiber shell. 2.1lbs
3. Macmillian A3 w/ edge fill. 2lbs

Is there any other lightweight stocks in the same category I'm missing?

The game scout with edge fill has my highest attention since it is the lightest and the forend seems slimmer than the A3. but I'm worried about the comb not being high enough. I usually always shoot prone but my scope is a 40 mm on low night force rings. so the comb may be high enough?

The A3 forend felt way too wide for my taste. out of the 3 stocks the a3 is the only one I've personally handled.

Also, where have you guys been buying your stocks from? What kind of wait times have you experienced? Is it better to order it with no inlet and have a smith inlet it or have it come inletted?

I just had a 260 Ackley built using the gamescout stock. Can't say enough good about it. I just had my smith order it and it came inletted from McMillian and he just did the bedding---it was a 6 month wait, however, it is a fantastic stock, especially for hunting.

Randy

I just had a 260 Ackley built using the gamescout stock. Can't say enough good about it. I just had my smith order it and it came inletted from McMillian and he just did the bedding---it was a 6 month wait, however, it is a fantastic stock, especially for hunting.

Randy

Pics man, pics! You can't leave us hanging like that :)

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pics man, pics! You can't leave us hanging like that :)

Well, funny you mention that. I'll be mounting a scope on it today and post photos later. She is a beauty and a rather "unique" build. I'll be introducing "Dead Reckon" to you all shortly................

Randy

OP
mtnclimber
Well, funny you mention that. I'll be mounting a scope on it today and post photos later. She is a beauty and a rather "unique" build. I'll be introducing "Dead Reckon" to you all shortly................

Randy

Id love to see it! what was the final weight of the stock? did you have the edge fill?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
No edge fill and the stock was 1 pound, 15 ounces. I got it in the McWoody pattern which is pretty cool lookin.
I'll get some photos posted here shortly and start a new thread in the firearms section although I pretty much had it built for longer range stuff.

Randy

KMD

Banned
I have a couple A3s on LR rifles, and a couple Game Scouts on hunting rifles, plus an Edge fill Game Scout on order. The Edge should shave 6-7oz. off standard fill.

As compared to the A3, the GS forend is noticeably more slim & rounded, bet you'd really like it! If McM made the GS with a higher comb, it would be just about perfect. You can get by with a small obj. scope and low rings for a lightweight rig, though...

If you're wanting a generic Game Scout (mag bbl channel, BDL, R700SA, standard fill) , you can order them "in stock", direct from McMillan's new website. They have them in a few standard 'swirly' patterns.

OP
mtnclimber
Ive taken a liking to the manners EH1. Its drop at comb is only .35 inches while the game scout is 9/16's.

too many decisions! I'm trying to start the process early, components have such long wait times and i like to shoot my rifles months before the hunting seasons to get familiar with them and develop loads.

OP
mtnclimber
Right now I've decided on the EH1. cheaper, nearly the same weight, and a higher comb.

for now the build is looking like:

Stiller Tac 300 w/ wyatt box
Bartlein #3 .284 5r 9twist (which is the size of most other barrel makers #4)
Timney trigger
Manners EH1
APA Micro brake

Right now it looks like ill have Accurate Ordnance do the barreled action.