Introducing "Dead Reckon"-----260 Ackley

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
  1. Dead Reckon-----"Begins with a known position, which is then advanced, mathematically or directly on the ballistic chart, by means of recording heading, speed and time and using the rifles last known kinematic state---position, velocity, acceleration, orientation and angular compensation."

Or, after the shot---"I guess it's dead, I reckon."

She is a rather "unique" build. Been a year in the making.

-----left handed Remington model 788 now chambered in 260 Ackley
    -----McMillian Gamescout stock in "McWoody" pattern
    -----Broughton 4.1 contour, 1/8 twist, 25 inch in length, Terry Miller muzzlebrake
    -----Timney trigger set to 1#
    -----Talley one piece base, talley rings
    -----Huskemaw 3 x 12
    -----metal duracoated by me in Colt grey
    -----all smith work done by Terry Miller from Twin Falls, Idaho

I think that she is gonna be a shooter. The gal came in at 10 pounds ready to go.

Randy

Shrek

WKR
I can't see the pictures :( !

Checked it out on LRO , looks great ! The Game Scout has more drop than I thought though and that has me thinking again on what I want. Please post your thoughts on the rig once you get a few down the tube.

Last edited:
pal of mine took a 788 that was factory short barrel 308 and had redone to 243AI. just kept original stock but refinished. had aftermarket trigger but forget which. had some confirmed pd kills at over 700 yards one year.
my first centerfire was a 788 in 22-250 back in early 1970's. missed out on introductory price of 78.80 but was still under 90 bucks. one of those I wish was back in my safe, it was a real shooter.
good luck on the build

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hopefully, these will show up.

Randy

Attachments

• Dead Reckon 011.jpg
    Dead Reckon 011.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 177
  • Dead Reckon 013.jpg
    Dead Reckon 013.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Dead Reckon 014.jpg
    Dead Reckon 014.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Dead Reckon 016.jpg
    Dead Reckon 016.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 158
What are you going to use for your handloads, and what kind of speed should you get. I'm in the saving phase right now for my next build. Looking at building a rifle for medium range 600-700 yards max for mulies on down, and would like it to come in the 10 pound range. Was going 6.5x284 route with a 140 Berger, but a 260AI might not be a bad idea.

Looks great! Gotta ask though, for the money you spent why did you go with the 788 action? Also curious in what speeds your getting.... Lotta guys love that 260AI!

Mike

tstowater

WKR
Nice looking gun. Love the 788s, but my only one is a 22-250 that is now a safe queen. Scared of the bolt problems that they had with the hotter loads. Awesome accuracy out of the box. Curious to see the load development. Should be a real fun gun.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks great! Gotta ask though, for the money you spent why did you go with the 788 action? Also curious in what speeds your getting.... Lotta guys love that 260AI!

Mike

Mike, the 788 was an action that I had just "laying" around. I like the concept of a right port and left bolt and I've always had really good luck with the accuracy of the 788. Not including the action, this build as it sits cost me $1475.00 and that includes talley base and rings. And if I had to guess, I'll bet she shoots every bit as good or better as one of those $7,000 or $8,000 builds.........................:cool:

Randy

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are you going to use for your handloads, and what kind of speed should you get. I'm in the saving phase right now for my next build. Looking at building a rifle for medium range 600-700 yards max for mulies on down, and would like it to come in the 10 pound range. Was going 6.5x284 route with a 140 Berger, but a 260AI might not be a bad idea.

Well, I'll shoot which ever bullet she likes but I'm hoping she likes the 140 bergers or the 140 amax. I'm not a speed guy as accuracy rules and I would expect to be pushing the 140 at around 2850 maybe 2900ish at the top end. I've got lapua brass and fireforming them so I think that combine with H4831sc should be a good combo. I also like RL17 but a little concerned with temps here in Idaho. Could freeze at night/early morning and be 70 during the day...........

Randy

Mike, the 788 was an action that I had just "laying" around. I like the concept of a right port and left bolt and I've always had really good luck with the accuracy of the 788. Not including the action, this build as it sits cost me $1475.00 and that includes talley base and rings. And if I had to guess, I'll bet she shoots every bit as good or better as one of those $7,000 or $8,000 builds.........................:cool:

Randy

Can't argue with that!
And I expect if you run 'er hot you should hit 2900 with 140s pretty easily... Lotta guys are running near there with 130s on a non AI'd 260!

I'm diggin that wood grain Gamescout for sure.

Mike

Did you go with a LA or a SA. Was just wondering if you had a SA and a detachable magazine if that set up would allow you to seat a Berger .010 off the lands?

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you go with a LA or a SA. Was just wondering if you had a SA and a detachable magazine if that set up would allow you to seat a Berger .010 off the lands?

This is a long action which allows me to use longer bullets and still fit in the magazine.

Randy

7stw

WKR
Very nice looking rifle ! I'm debating a .260ai or a 7mm-08ai right now for my recently acquired surgeon 591. Love the wood grain look of the McMillan I might have to copy you in that one. Good luck and post a range report please.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very nice looking rifle ! I'm debating a .260ai or a 7mm-08ai right now for my recently acquired surgeon 591. Love the wood grain look of the McMillan I might have to copy you in that one. Good luck and post a range report please.

Well, I don't think that you could go wrong with either. And, yes, the first time I saw the "McWoody", I knew I had to have one.
I've currently got a 260 AI, a 280 AI and a 375 H and H AI. My next build will be a tikka T3 lite in a 30-06 AI. What a great high country backpacking rifle. Love the concept and they are shooters.

Randy

KMD

Banned
Nicely appointed killin' rig. Enjoy it & good hunting!!!

7stw

WKR
What fill did you get on the gamescout ? Seriously considering ordering this exact stock. Did you have McMillan inlet it or have your smith do that ?