My Northern BC Stone Ram

Rackmastr

WKR
Hey Guys,

Well...after debating whether or not to post this, I have decided that I love looking at pics online enough and hearing about other stories, that I had better bite the bullet, sit down and share a few pics of a hunt I just returned from. A lot of friends have seen the pics already on FB or email, so I hope to share a couple with the HBC crowd.

This year I made a serious commitment to my fitness and preparation for a Stones sheep hunt. After moving to BC back in 2012 I have chased some Kootenay area sheep and did a hike-in last year off the highway later season. Had a great time and just being able to chase thinhorns is something that I've cherished and a huge reason I moved to BC in the first place. I've hunted sheep in Alberta for about 10-12 years pretty seriously and always seemed to carry a monkey on my back whenever hunting sheep. Been on a few cool sheep hunts and helped some guys with rams, but its never worked out for me. A lot of learning, hard lessons, and a ton of cool experiences though!

Myself and hunting partner booked with Riverjet Adventures this year and planned a 2 week hunt. I wanted to have enough time to have zero regrets about this hunt and the time we had to get it done.

Day 6 (the day after my bday), we made it happen and I spotted this ram above camp in the shale. A stalk trough the poplars put me at 300 yards from him and an hour and a half of watching him through the spotting scope made me confident that I was looking at the type of ram that would represent the hard work and dedication I'd given to sheep hunting in the past. This ram would be the type of ram that I'd be proud to look at for years.

Sorry for the lack of a 'story' right now but here are some pics that highlight the trip for me. Enjoy!

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome ram, glad you got the monkey off your back.
Not enough guys posting about sheep.
Im heading up river with Kevin in 12 days, hopefully we will have a post of our own. Would love to hear more about how the whole hunt went

OP
Rackmastr

Rackmastr

WKR
Awesome ram, glad you got the monkey off your back.
Not enough guys posting about sheep.
Im heading up river with Kevin in 12 days, hopefully we will have a post of our own. Would love to hear more about how the whole hunt went

Water is sure low this year from the sounds of it. Very early for how low it is. Kevin sure is awesome though!

Hunt was amazing, saw tons of wildlife and some amazing country. Almost every critter you could think of, we saw haha.

birdman1

FNG
Great job! I've also heard the rivers are very low. Sounds like a blast. I've considered moving to bc for this exact reason

Liv2Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work! Thanks for posting the pics and short story! I look forward to the long version!
Congrats on getting rid of that Monkey!

slick

WKR
Beautiful ram! That's what most guys dream of. Your hard work paid off over the years.

I'm curious what pants you're wearing by the way?

Again congrats, and thanks for sharing it with lay people who don't get to chase sheep.

OP
Rackmastr

Rackmastr

WKR
I was wearing a pair of Mountain Hardwear convertable pants. Have always worked really well for me. They are now in a campfire up there...haha. Burned them that night actually.

They didnt fit me anymore (I'm a 32-33" and used to be a 36") and I had singed them on the fire trying to dry them. Figured it was about time to ditch them!! I like having the shorts for hot days though and will buy another pair for sure.

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider
Mr.Rack,
Well done with a beautifully colored ram. A great trophy you will always cherish.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very very nice ram. Now its time for the long version of the story----rifle? Equipment used? How bout the other 5 days??
Bring it on.............

Randy

tallbuck

FNG
Heck of a Ram! Thank you for sharing your story and pics of your hunt! We are all jealous...

Congratulations!