Floorless tarp-tent in rain - reassurance

gmajor

WKR
So I'm all set up for my elk hunt, and planning on bringing my GoLite Shangri-La 2 with a borah bug bivy, with a small groundcloth thrown in for good measure. The forecast calls for rain scattered throughout the duration of the hunt. Reassure me that this is the way to go instead of lugging my 5-6 pound behemoth of a tent with me.

Anyone spent significant time in rain in their tarp shelters?

Bmcox86

WKR
If you spend some time selecting a good site and putting the tent in the right spot you will be fine.

muleman

WKR
If your solo in the SL2 you should have plenty of space to stay away from the sides. Condensation is probably going to be the biggest issue for you. Don't pitch in a depression and although it sounds counter intuitive, pitch the sides up off the ground. So you can cut down on the condensation.

Last edited:

carlc

Lil-Rokslider
Spent all last weekend in a pyramid shelter in nonstop rain and snow with another guy. Plenty of room to keep off the walls, never got wet underneath, but we did both have a small ground cloth under our bags. The only thing I wish I would have brought, and will from now on is a small camp towel, or something super absorbent to help keep the condensation to a minimum. Take the tipi, you won't regret it!

I used my paratarp for two years in Washinton state for early, late and winter camping. It saw plenty of rain and snow and I had no issues.