First bear!

Bob

Lil-Rokslider
Spot & stalk on a salmon stream...got off the stream on to a muskeg...came straight in to the call & got to within 10 yards. Shot was 16, 30 yard recovery!!!!

pa5evatu.jpg

u5uzamu7.jpg

8avuguhu.jpg

gynybegy.jpg

FreeRange

WKR
Congrats! What type of call were you using? Salmon distress call? This is my first season specifically targeting bears and calling one in really appeals to me. I had one in some thick stuff yesterday and due to the wind I had to back out of my stalk so I tried a fawn bleat/distress and he quickly went the other way. I suspect he'd already winded me but the call seemed to put him over the edge. I'm not much of a predator caller anyways so that could be the problem itself but curious to hear what works for you.

OP
Bob

Bob

Lil-Rokslider
Johnnie used a Sitka deer call, really made it whine...the bear circled behind & come out walking straight to us & got to 10 yards...as he was walking away, hit the call again & he turned, 16 yard shot.

Great bear!!! A bruin at 10 yards and armed with a bow, the adrenaline rush must have been almost unbearable ( no pun intended ). Nice job on keeping it together and closing the deal on what must have been more than just a little stressful.

WKR
Great bear. I need to try calling the buggers sometime. Sounds like fun.

Bar

Banned
Congrats! What type of call were you using? Salmon distress call? This is my first season specifically targeting bears and calling one in really appeals to me. I had one in some thick stuff yesterday and due to the wind I had to back out of my stalk so I tried a fawn bleat/distress and he quickly went the other way. I suspect he'd already winded me but the call seemed to put him over the edge. I'm not much of a predator caller anyways so that could be the problem itself but curious to hear what works for you.

A predator call works pretty good. Just like you'd call in a coyote. A lot of guys using cow calls when elk hunting will call in bears too. Leaning towards the calf calls would seem better to me. I don't call elk, so i'm not sure. I bought a Wayne Carlton bear call, and it comes with a CD demonstrating how to use it. It's just a predator call with the only difference in how to use it.