An Interview With Kurt Racicot, Founder of Stone Glacier Packs

I just saw this posted on the SG fb page. Kurt is such a humble guy and never talks about himself as a hunter. I found this as an interesting read and thought I'd share it.

http://www.journalofmountainhunting.com/blazing-trail---kurt-racicot-and-stone-glacier-packs.html

SG-2.jpg

JWP58

WKR
Good stuff, I like his business approach. Plus he's taken a bighorn in an unlimited unit...I bet his wallet say "bad motherf**ker"...

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, that was an excellent read. All of my dealings and communication with Kurt have shown that he's a stand up guy that really listens and wants to hear input from his customers. The more I use my SG pack, the more I realize that it's a superb piece of gear, built and designed by a serious hunter.

Man look at that first ram!!

Kurt is an awesome guy and I hope to pick up one of his packs sometime In The future.

Last edited:

muleman

WKR
Kurt is a heck of an accomplished hunter for sure, yet so humble. I have had the privileged of speaking with him a handful of times and every time he has provided over the top service and advice. I'm on my second year with his frame and bags and have no regrets in selling off my other top tier packs. Thanks Kurt!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I heard the Wild Sheep Foundation is starting an auction for the location of "Stone Glacier" LOL!

The guy answers every single email and phone call. No idea how he does it. As mentioned many times before, his CS is over the top. I have a history of cutting off piles of extra straps and pockets from my packs, so Kurts stuff was right up my alley. First pack I ever had that I actually ADDED something too.

Man, I like solo hunting, and I've been weathered in/out on trips more than twice... but 15 days of weather would SERIOUSLY test my mental limits. That guy is in another league compared to weekend warriors like me.

Yk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The guy answers every single email and phone call. No idea how he does it. As mentioned many times before, his CS is over the top. I have a history of cutting off piles of extra straps and pockets from my packs, so Kurts stuff was right up my alley. First pack I ever had that I actually ADDED something too.

Man, I like solo hunting, and I've been weathered in/out on trips more than twice... but 15 days of weather would SERIOUSLY test my mental limits. That guy is in another league compared to weekend warriors like me.

Yk
This has been my experience as well. Took 4 different packs from 4 different vendors and a lot of tweaking before I got a pack to fit. Kurt went way over the top to get me dialed in.

I'm not really into the solo thing so much, I enjoy the interaction and comradeship of hunting with a like minded individual. Certainly respect the guys that do it though.

brewer427

WKR
I was just going to throw this link up until I saw your post. I really enjoyed that interview, I have a new found respect for the guy after reading that he taught himself to sew and then make the bag and frame. Very cool.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Thank you for the supportive comments, it is very appreciated. Adam Janke and crew at the Journal of Mountain Hunting have worked very hard to create an impressive publication. It was great for Stone Glacier to be included in their September issue, we appreciate the opportunity. I foresee great success for the Journal of Mountain Hunting and wish them the best.
Good luck to everyone out this weekend.
Best,
Kurt

Kurt,
What's your .30-378 Wby weigh? Do you use that for your solo sheep hunts as well? That's a flat shooting rifle that can really reach out there, especially with that NF on it.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
My 30-378 is right at 9.5#, so not ultralight by any means. On all of my sheep hunts I ran a Leupold 4.5-14 on it, so you can drop a pound there. The upgrade to the NF did come with a slight weight penalty. However, as you mentioned, the ballistics 30-378 are an advantage. I also now have a Kimber MT at a little over 6 pounds, but it would be hard to leave the 30-378 at home:)
Kurt

That's awesome sounding. I'm guessing that Proof barrel helped shed a decent amount of weight too. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

Ironman8

WKR
Kurt,

Really enjoyed the interview.I know you've got a lot on your plate, but if you get some time it would be awesome to see your packing list for typical 3 to 7 day hunt. You mentioned that you had it pared down pretty well, so as a novice to backpack hunting, I'd like to see where I'm too heavy.

Really appreciate it and good luck on your future endeavors.

Excellent interview. I wish SG continued/long-term success. Like others have stated, he's willing to go the distance to get you dialed in. Season starts here on whitetails in about 3 weeks- looking forward to getting my Solo bloodied-up.

Hawkeye

FNG
I echo the statements above. Kurt, you set a standard that is hard to live up to by any manufacturer. You make a great product but above all your customer service and humbleness is second to none. Looking forward to getting my Sky 5100 bloody this season. Great Company, Great Product, Great CEO.