Which Mathews Creed XS or Chill R

Have you tried them? To me the creed is a horrible draw and wall. Plus it is slow in comparison to most today and that is a Mathews rating. The chill is a nice bow and with rock mods it has a good wall and feel. With that said, really you should try the two out yourself. It's all personal.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd take the Creed hands down. The Chill R is having some issues with cam lean, and due to the new floating yoke system there isn't a great way to correct it. That said, I'm shooting a Bowtech Carbon Overdrive. The draw is much much harsher than the creed, but it's lighter and I like the way it feels.

I would say neither. Mathews would probably be the last company currently that I would shoot. The z7 was a good bow helium was not bad but I wouldnt touch either of those bows. Like stated the chill has floating yokes don't see the point of them, pass.... The creed xs is a 28" ata 320 IBO solocam. Huge pass. If I was given either bow tomorrow I would sell I immediately. With the amount of great bows out there right now not a chance I would shoot either. If your set on Mathews find a z7 magnum.

OR Archer

WKR
Chill R. I've set up and sold a lot of them. VERY easy bow to tune. Holds good on target. Smooth draw cycle. Super quiet. Plus with the addition of choices in modules can be "customized" for the shooter depending on their likes.

Couldn't a guy just build fixed yoke cables and correct the floating yoke problem?

Yes, and I've seen on archerytalk a few who have said they had good results. But if I. Not mistaken you need to remove the cams to get to the yoke legs. That would be a PIA if you ask me.

chobbs

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, and I've seen on archerytalk a few who have said they had good results. But if I. Not mistaken you need to remove the cams to get to the yoke legs. That would be a PIA if you ask me.
OK, I see what your saying. I remember now how they are set up.

chobbs

Lil-Rokslider
Nobody is bashing on my end. I was only chiming in to help out with suggestions. No need to get worked up. I shoot binary cam bows, no yokes for me anyways

chobbs

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe read into the thread a little closer next time and go from there. I am happy for anyone getting into the sport and practicing it.

What problem? That system has been proven for many years now. I hate it when a bow isn't something someone likes they bash it without even knowing what they are talking about.
Constant issue with bearings in the new avs. Serious issues in non matching deflections in the split limbs of the monster series. Having to lube yoke rings so it will float properly. If that bow doesn't come from the factory with perfect parts there is no way to eliminate cam lean at full draw.
No ones bashing just stating facts.

OR Archer

WKR
Constant issue with bearings in the new avs. Serious issues in non matching deflections in the split limbs of the monster series. Having to lube yoke rings so it will float properly. If that bow doesn't come from the factory with perfect parts there is no way to eliminate cam lean at full draw.
No ones bashing just stating facts.

OK there are no constant issues with the bearings in the AVS system. The AVS part of the cam is the same as its been since it was released. Not once can I remember ever having to do any warranty work on worn out bearings on any Monster and we've sold a lot of them since they were introduced.

Also there is absolutely no need to lube the yoke ring. Never has been.

Yes there was a short run of bows with limb deflection issues but that's a thing of the past. Every one was dealt with quickly with zero hassle.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Neither. Shoot the new Chill X. Best bow Mathews has made since the Switchback. Creed XS has a harsh draw cycle, is slow by modern standards for a thousand dollar bow and there's absolutely no need for a 28" bow. Why buy a Chill R when you can have the X? This from a Mathews hater who used to own his own shop and now works in another shop that sells all of the big brands except for Hoyt. Their split limb bows are better than their solid limb bows for sure. At least you don't have to run different limb weights on each end and swap top pockets for lower pockets to get them to shoot right. Anyone who has dealt with enough Mathews has seen all of those things done. Pros still shoot mismatched limbs in ASA because Mathews has refused to upgrade their target bows in several years.

I'm with OR. I've been at WI's top Mathews Dealer since the Z7 came out, and there are no serious or constant issues with the AVS system. Occasionally a "bad batch" comes thru the pipeline, where a machine setting isn't correct for a small run of bows, but that's manufacturing. I don't know what you read on AT, but those are far from facts. I like both bows. Depends on your preferences. I think the XS draws rather comfortably and I love the draw stop. For a mainly treestand guy, that'd be my suggestion. The ChillR will give you that stability up front, and if you like a draw stop feel the Rock Mods are damn nice in an 85% or 75% let off. Gives you better speed. Not as maneuverable in a treestand guy, but if you're spot and stalking mainly in open conditions you're good either way. 33" ATA isn't exactly cumbersome. But as guys have said, if you can shoot both, do it. Best way to make your determination. The bow generally chooses you.

Don't get too caught up in speed, either. I find the guys who say speed kills often miss faster.

Manosteel

WKR
My old Monster MR7 was one of the best shooting bows I have ever owned. Its so good that I haven't gotten rid of it since I bought it in 2011, despite the fact that I haven't hunted with it since I bought my Hoyt. Love the Hoyt and don't plan on shooting the MR7 but can't bring myself to sell it since it was always rock solid for me. As for other recent Mathews bows, I feel they have gone downhill compared to other manufactures.

JasonWi

WKR
I shot the Chill R and X and I prefer a longer ATA and higher brace height of the X. This is the 1st Matthews I've ever owned, always been a Hoyt fan. But I didn't care for any of Hoyt's newer models so decided to try the X, I'm glad I did and it's my target bow this year and next year's hunting bow.

I've got just over 800 arrows through it and no timing issues yet.

BSeals71

WKR
Chill R. I've set up and sold a lot of them. VERY easy bow to tune. Holds good on target. Smooth draw cycle. Super quiet. Plus with the addition of choices in modules can be "customized" for the shooter depending on their likes.

I have a Chill R and love it! 85% let-off with Rock Mods.

Any bow is going to have its different "issues", just find what you like. We all have our personal preferences.

Every year I see guys kill some record book animals with equipment +5 years old. Really its more about the 'Indian' than 'the bow'.