Who's hunting Kodiak this fall?

Just wondering who was hunting goats on Kodiak this fall. I'll be headed down on Sept. 29 with a draw tag. Anyone else here draw, or doing the registration hunt?

Akdaniels

FNG
Heading to Crown mountain permit on Oct 5th through the 15th. I have the only permit though. Buddies will hopefully be whacking a couple of deer. What tag did you draw?

Flatbow

Lil-Rokslider
won't be on Kodiak but across the channel on Raspberry Island. after 14 years of trying I drew an elk permit for Oct...

SLA

FNG
Hey Nick, we're headed there 10/7
Hunt starting 10/10 registration hunt. Getting ready!

OP
AK Troutbum
Heading to Crown mountain permit on Oct 5th through the 15th. I have the only permit though. Buddies will hopefully be whacking a couple of deer. What tag did you draw?

A buddy and I drew a party DG474, so we'll be not too far from you guys. Who are you flying in with?

Maybe I can find one that is deaf, dumb and blind to walk into an arrow :)

Alls I know is that when I wake up the first morning in our camp, I will be a resident. It's all gravy from that point forward.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Alls I know is that when I wake up the first morning in our camp, I will be a resident. It's all gravy from that point forward.

Congrats on that Nick, the sheep and brown bear better take notice as well now they you are a full fledged resident!

I will be down there early October trying to get my dad his 2nd mountain goat and first one worth of mounting (his last one was a shear August goat and after that I decided the hides are more important than the horns and won't hunt them early.) Going with my wife and member STID as well. See if I can't help STID haul one more for him off the mountain as well. And if there is goats and time allows I will try too.

Also thinking about going again in the spring. ;)

Akdaniels

FNG
Troutbum. We are going with Roland. Hopefully landing our main camp on Hidden Basin and weather permitting, get on one of the 2 higher lakes with our spike gear. If not, it's a march from the salt. My fat a$$ would much appreciate it a drop up higher.

kodiakfly

WKR
I'll be hunting Kodiak goats this fall! Archery road system and if that doesn't get the job done, then a fly-in trip later in the year.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luke and I fly out tomorrow... With Stid and Luke's dad. Looking forward to it immensely!

OP
AK Troutbum
Just got back from our DG474 hunt. We had great weather with highs in the 40's and lows in the 20's at around 3000' elevation. Had two nights of snow, one blowing pretty hard, but for the most part had a high pressure system and sunny days and moon lit nights. I ended up taking an 8"x5.5" billy at about 150 yards and he fell where I shot him. My buddy took a 8.5" x 5.5" billy at 320 yards and he ran down the mountain about 200 yards (despite being double lunged and having his right shoulder blown apart) then laid down and died. I watched (through the spotting scope) my buddy shoot his and I was sure that it was a good hit, but it jumped up and started running down the mountain without so much as even a hobble. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't believe it. Goats are just plain tough animals. The coats on both out goats are super thick, so should make some good rugs. I used my iphone for all my photos and it ended up getting wet at the end of the hunt while taking pictures of my buddys goat in a driving (very wet) snow storm. Needless to say my phone went belly up and I don't have a picture or video to show for it. I can't even begin to express how bummed I am for this as not only do I not have a single picture of my goat, but I crawled up on a group of 7 goats and got to within less than 10 yards of them and took some killer video footage, but all is lost. My buddy did take some pictures with his phone and as soon as I get them I'll post a few up.
We had days where we saw 50+ different goats and never had a day that we didn't see less than 30. We saw tons of ptarmigan and ended up shooting a few with bird shot from a 454, saw 4 deer, two bucks and two does, and 3 bears, a big boar on the other side of the drainage that we watched for an hour or so, and a sow with a cub that walked past us one day while we were making a stalk on some goats.
This was by far the best weather I have ever experienced on Kodiak in Oct. Good luck to everyone out there.

Last edited:
OP
AK Troutbum
Here are a few pictures of our hunt. They are 1&2. A small band of goats that I was able to get up on and photograph at about 7 yards or so, 3. Ptarmigan taken with the .454, 4. One of our spike camps (LBO and Bear Paw Wilderness Designs Pyramid) and 5. More goats.

Attachments

• goat 2014 3.jpg
    goat 2014 3.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 149
  • goat 2014 13.jpg
    goat 2014 13.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 147
  • goat 2014 14.jpg
    goat 2014 14.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 157
  • goat 2014 20.jpg
    goat 2014 20.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 153
  • goat 2014 12.jpg
    goat 2014 12.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to hear about the phone and the photos, but it sounds like it was a good time with decent weather. A successful hunt no matter what.

OP
AK Troutbum
Picture 1. Billy skull, 2. Me cleaning my billy, 3. Base camp (12 person SO tipi), 4. Backstrap on the fire, 5. My buddy's goat .

Attachments

• goat 2014 2.jpg
    goat 2014 2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 165
  • goat 2014 6.jpg
    goat 2014 6.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 167
  • goat 2014 9.jpg
    goat 2014 9.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 185
  • goat 2014 19.jpg
    goat 2014 19.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 191
  • goat 2014 5.jpg
    goat 2014 5.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 169
This was by far the best weather I have ever experienced on Kodiak in Oct.

Your weather was just a little better than what I saw in the Chugach this last week on my (attempted) goat hunt.

Looks like a great time. I know I enjoyed Kodiak this spring. When the sun comes out, it's a awesome place to be.

Yk