Who's hunting Kodiak this fall?

OP
AK Troutbum
I couldn't even begin to guess Nick. I have a hard enough time aging sheep and I completely suck at aging goats. My goat only had one ring that I was for sure able to identify, but I think he was a little older than one year, lol

But, I know a guy who has shot several 8-9" Billies that were only 2 1/2 down there.... and that would mean only one ring, from what I have been told on how to age them.

kodiakfly

WKR
My season ended last night as I fell and blew up my knee helping a buddy haul his billy out. I'm just hoping to avoid surgery at this point. Seeing the Doc this afternoon.

"It's not a real goat hunt until someone falls and gets hurt." LOL

So ends a crappy season...

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
My season ended last night as I fell and blew up my knee helping a buddy haul his billy out. I'm just hoping to avoid surgery at this point. Seeing the Doc this afternoon.

"It's not a real goat hunt until someone falls and gets hurt." LOL

So ends a crappy season...

Sorry to hear about your injury, but glad it wasn't anything worse. I spent a winter sidelined after I broke my leg hunting Kodiak goats, so I know first hand what a bummer it is. Here's hoping for good news from the doctor, and that you aren't laid up too long,

kodiakfly

WKR
Sorry to hear about your injury, but glad it wasn't anything worse. I spent a winter sidelined after I broke my leg hunting Kodiak goats, so I know first hand what a bummer it is. Here's hoping for good news from the doctor, and that you aren't laid up too long,

We talked about you last night during a water break! The group of us hauling it out are all Coasties stationed at the air station and we started to discuss calling for a medevac or not. I decided against it because us hoisting a civilian with a severely broken leg is our job...hoisting one of our own (me) with a busted knee would be joke fodder for a couple years to come! So I vetoed that and limped it out one baby-step at a time to save myself the jokes of an H65 guy being rescued by the 60s! LOL

As far as news from doc, I have to go back. It's still too stiff and painful for him to do a full exam. My wife is an OR nurse, so she's got me all iced and elevated and will keep me stable until I go back on Monday (due to Thanksgiving weekend) for a full exam and then Motrin or MRI from there.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We talked about you last night during a water break! The group of us hauling it out are all Coasties stationed at the air station and we started to discuss calling for a medevac or not. I decided against it because us hoisting a civilian with a severely broken leg is our job...hoisting one of our own (me) with a busted knee would be joke fodder for a couple years to come! So I vetoed that and limped it out one baby-step at a time to save myself the jokes of an H65 guy being rescued by the 60s! LOL

As far as news from doc, I have to go back. It's still too stiff and painful for him to do a full exam. My wife is an OR nurse, so she's got me all iced and elevated and will keep me stable until I go back on Monday (due to Thanksgiving weekend) for a full exam and then Motrin or MRI from there.

Thank you for your service, I hold everyone at the USCG in the highest regard and feel forever grateful to the fine folks from Airstation Kodiak who rescued me on the worst day of my life. I am glad your injury was such that you could limp out on it (and avoid workplace ridicule :)) and I hope all goes well at your follow up next week. Happy Thanksgiving, and feel better soon!

Wow, some great goats and country as well thanks to all for sharing your experiences.

Kodiakfly good luck on your recovery mate.

Regards,

RH

kodiakfly

WKR
Thanks. I'm already investigating putting a Band-Aid on it in the form of a cortisone shot and worrying about healing up later. We'll see what the doc says.

OP
AK Troutbum
Man, that's a real bummer about your knee. Hopefully the damage isn't too extensive and you'll be back in the mountains soon. Wishing you a speedy recovery kodiak. Good luck

kodiakfly

WKR
Thanks guys. I'm down for hunting success either through strength and determination or through drugs and pharmaceuticals. Whatever it takes. I've got to get a goat down.