Bugle Report 2014

What's everyone hearing from different states? Dad and I are headed to New Mexico on Thursday and hunting till the 15th.

Some down in south colorado and a little out west. Seems to be picking up around the state.

bobhunts

WKR
I guess it would depend on where you are! After spending the last three month's scouting and hunting sheep I never heard a bugle as of last Monday. I did see a really good 6X6 tickeling his antlers with a 5X5. The 6X was a really good one with whale tails and they never knew I was there and I watched them for about 30 minutes before walking in further. After seeing this, they where not sounding off at all! Just a game of play but they were all hard horned and at this time of year to see that it is a positive. Been archery hunting during the second week and still saw bulls with velvet on. Only the big ones.They usually just run from a call when this happens. Good luck and I need the same. Bob.

sneaky

"DADDY"
They are singing in Idaho...............

Not over the weekend in SE Idaho. Heard several around camp on Fri night. 530 am on Saturday they turned the switch off. Heard maybe one bugle the rest of the three day weekend. Everyone else we spoke with said the same thing. We'll see this weekend if they've opened up a bit more. Stay tuned.

arrow

FNG
According to a good friend they started talking in our area on Monday. I'll find out myself this evening as I finally get off work this morning!

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
That's the hardest thing every year for me and my buddy to determine and that is when do we go up to Colorado to hunt during the archery season. Some of these posts are helping me feel better about our decision to hunt the last nine days of archery in Colorado. God it sucks to be a non-resident and not have the opportunity(convenience) to be able to get off work and do some scouting. Our hunting spot is a 13-14 hour drive from where I live. I keep telling myself five more years, five more years till we can move up there!

Bar

Banned
I don't mean to bust any chops here, but I have a question. If an elk never bugled, and there was no such thing as an elk call. Could you still get an elk?

Hopefully, you won't say no.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't mean to bust any chops here, but I have a question. If an elk never bugled, and there was no such thing as an elk call. Could you still get an elk?

I'll rephrase the question for me: "If an elk never bugled, and there was no such thing as an elk call. Would you even want to get an elk?"

For me.........not really. I rifle hunted silent elk for years. The only thing that keeps me going every year is screaming back and forth with the elk. If they are silent.......I've got better things to do.

Bar

Banned
No need to shoot them if that's the case. Just go out, and talk to them. You don't even need to worry about getting a tag.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
No need to shoot them if that's the case. Just go out, and talk to them. You don't even need to worry about getting a tag.

Ok, whatever. If that's YOUR choice. I also like elk in the freezer. By the way, stopped into your Granola town this past weekend.;) Just as it's always been when I stop there.......full of granola's.

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
They are bugling in New Mexico. Was surrounded by 3 bulls and 8 cows. The cows were making a racket too. Never got a glimpse of the bulls but was within 20 yards of the cows and calves. Of course it was the day before the opener and don't have a tag for NM. It was awesome none the less.

Bar

Banned
Ok, whatever. If that's YOUR choice. I also like elk in the freezer. By the way, stopped into your Granola town this past weekend.;) Just as it's always been when I stop there.......full of granola's.

They must have moved here from the Springs.

Bar

Banned
Which is probably true of whoever you saw. Doesn't really matter anyway. I don't live in town, or even go there very often. I live in the mountains, and buy everything but food and gas online. It's a nice crime free quiet town. Sure can't say that about the Springs. It reminded me of LA.

All of which has nothing to do with this thread.

Last edited:

Dirtbag

WKR
Brother in law and I called in a 5x5 and he made a 10 yard shot at 3pm on opening day, he bugled all the way in. Had three other bulls bugling throughout the day. 11,000ft in southern Colorado.

vcb

WKR
Two big 6x6's locate bugling back and forth to each other last friday night(8/31) of course season wasn't open yet so just watched. Then the wind set in for the last four days. Had a group of 8 bulls come over the ridge on Tues. morning. Obviously, still in a big bachelor herd....That's what I saw opening weekend here in CO.

MT_Nate

FNG
Pulled my game cams Saturday (Aug. 30) in NW Montana sitting at ~6500' (high for this part of the country) - it was 2pm. Finished pulling the second cam and a cow was talking about 200 yards downhill from me. Two loud mews. 10 seconds later was a single, high note bugle about 300 yards to my right. I snuck out of there...cams showed a 350+ pig in the area though. Hope he's still there Saturday - it should be fun if they haven't moved on yet.

Pulled my game cams Saturday (Aug. 30) in NW Montana sitting at ~6500' (high for this part of the country) - it was 2pm. Finished pulling the second cam and a cow was talking about 200 yards downhill from me. Two loud mews. 10 seconds later was a single, high note bugle about 300 yards to my right. I snuck out of there...cams showed a 350+ pig in the area though. Hope he's still there Saturday - it should be fun if they haven't moved on yet.

hopefully MT G&F doesn't read rokslide.... hahaha. I think it's a stupid rule anyway, but I was told by an officer that when antelope season starts the 15th, its technically illegal to have the cams out... even when in an area with no antelope.

Joe