Sure takes a lot if stuff to kill an elk!!!

Mofarmboy

FNG
3 rookies heading in for a 7 day DIY backcountry elk hunt in the mountains of colorado. This site has been a huge tool in helping to build my backcountry arsenal. Here's all my gear then a few pics of it all loaded into the kuiu 1850 with a eberlestock spike camp duffel in the load sling. The combo works real well. Total weight without weapon was 44lbs.

OP
M

Mofarmboy

FNG
One days worth of food all bagged up
But hole sand which,2protein bars,2tubes trail mix,,deer jerky,tuna wrap on tortilla, goldfish crackers,and mountain house for supper.
Total cals-2600

wapitibob

WKR
What you going to do with a critter? I don't see an option..
I know you didn't ask but you can get like 80 unscented wipes at Walmart for close to $3 and vac seal in food saver zip bags. Way cheaper than branded wipes. I'd pull the days rations outta the commercial pkg too.
Looks like a fun trip with your friends. Good luck.

Last edited:

Curtis C

WKR
Getting it all sorted out sure gets one excited doesn't it? Thats a lot of food, I'd be surprised if you eat it all. Good luck on your hunt.

OP
M

Mofarmboy

FNG
What you going to do with a critter? I don't see an option..
I know you didn't ask but you can get like 80 unscented wipes at Walmart for close to $3 and vac seal in food saver zip bags. Way cheaper than branded wipes. I'd pull the days rations outta the commercial pkg too.
Looks like a fun trip with your friends. Good luck.

Chunk him up and put him in game bags. Kill kits in there somewhere, game bags, outdoor edge razor lite knife 5 extra blades, rope, and flagging tape!!

mt100gr.

WKR
Good luck. Worry about what to do with the critter when the time comes. Just be mindful of the temps and get the meat out first. Some might say you're over-packed...you'll know in a few days. Don't worry about that either. Your number is up! Ready or not, pick a spot. Bow hunting elk may be the single best thing in the world:)

slick

WKR
Every trip out you'll dial in what you need and don't need. Probably after the first day you'll realize something is in your pack that you don't/won't use or need. It's a learning experience everytime you hit the woods. Good luck! And don't put a ton of pressure on yourself to get a critter down. Enjoy the experience!!

gelton

WKR
Every trip out you'll dial in what you need and don't need. Probably after the first day you'll realize something is in your pack that you don't/won't use or need. It's a learning experience everytime you hit the woods. Good luck! And don't put a ton of pressure on yourself to get a critter down. Enjoy the experience!!

I don't know, 44 lbs for 7 days is pretty darn good for your first time out. This will be year 4 for me and I haven't weighed my pack but for 7 days I know its over 44 lbs, probably closer to 60.

Last edited:

slick

WKR
I guess I didn't shed any positive light on his post. I didn't mean it I'm a cynical way. That's damn good for a first timer, no doubt. But I seem to always be critiquing how and what I pack. Anyways! Didn't mean any harm by it. Mofarmboy, looks like you've done your research now it's just time to chase some bugles!

gmajor

WKR
What unit you hunting?

EDIT: IIRC I'm right around 40 for a 7 day in Sept.

Last edited:

Ironman8

WKR
I don't know, 44 lbs for 4 days is pretty darn good for your first time out. This will be year 4 for me and I haven't weighed my pack but for 7 days I know its over 44 lbs, probably closer to 60.

I agree. I'll easily be at 60 for my 8 day November elk hunt. That includes everything except the clothes that I wear in. Granted I'll have my heavier winter gear but unless he's not counting water, that's pretty good.

SethH

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I was looking at a pic of my living room from the other night. Besides the pack, that looks like a smart move. I went with the tensing 6000. The 1850 with the eb duffel is slick. Good luck. I'm leaving for CO on the 10th.