Tent I Built

mcr-85

WKR
I helped make it. Talked my mom into sewing it. I designed it close to the Sawtooth. I figured all the measurements out and cut it out and she sewed it up. I also built the stove for it.

tent2.jpg

20140822_140418.jpg

20140822_140506.jpg

This is awesome! Pattern, material list, etc.? I've got all the materials to make a version of the megatarp, but I may opt to build something like this now!

colonel00

WKR
This is awesome! Pattern, material list, etc.? I've got all the materials to make a version of the megatarp, but I may opt to build something like this now!

+1 I think I may dive into the tent sewing realm this winter. If you have any patterns, measurements, tips, I would greatly appreciate it. Mostly for me, figuring out the panels and stuff isn't too bad but I just don't know where to start with the reinforced pole pockets and a lot of that stuff.

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
I designed it on Sketchup. I think I may have my cut list in Excel format. I can take a few screenshots from Sketchup if you want.

Silnylon -- I ordered 19 yards but have some extra for making some other things.
Center pole -- 5 sections of .75 Easton Expedition Aluminum Poles at 17" a piece.
Waterproof Zipper
12 stakes for around the edge plus 4 titanium shepherd stakes for the tie outs.
Stove jack from Bear Paw.

I use a trekking pole for the rear pole. Floor space is 119 square feet. I haven't weighed the whole setup yet.

I also have some no see um mesh that I was going to use for a second door but I don't know if I'll get around to that.

Manosteel

WKR
Awesome job! I have been toying the idea of a DIY tipi but your design is much better and practical. I would also appreciate any patterns or sketches. Pretty please :)

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
I used 20d silnylon from ripstopbytheroll.com. PM me your email address and I'll send you what I have on it. For the pole pockets I just used a piece of Hypalon for reinforcement.

I used 20d silnylon from ripstopbytheroll.com. PM me your email address and I'll send you what I have on it. For the pole pockets I just used a piece of Hypalon for reinforcement.

That's what I was hoping you'd say. Kyle is a great guy to work with, and his silnylon is very durable.

Manosteel

WKR
Manosteel,

You wouldn't happen to have patterns/designs for those silnylon meat baggies that you made, would you?

Colonel00 did a much better job at explaining the whole process in detail. I can send you pics of my basic deminsions on scrape paper I had used but then again there is a great program that colonel00 uses to get correct sizing.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just wanted to say thank you ive ordered everything and hopefully will put it together before chirstmas

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
What is the dimension on the floor and height? What did the weight end up being? I've been tossing around the idea of a good sized 4-man tipi DIY project myself now that the kids are old enough take backpacking.