Tent I Built

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Did you do anything special to the ceiling where the pole support fits? Add Cordula or additional silnylon to that area to provide additional protection? Thx

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you do anything special to the ceiling where the pole support fits? Add Cordula or additional silnylon to that area to provide additional protection? Thx

On my copycat verison i found that you need to reenforce that area. I set my tent up before and the pole strenched the material. In my opinion silnylon would not provide enough i would go with something heavier i ended up usinb hyplon

That's awesome. My brother and I are in the process of designing/making a similar project. Seeing yours motivates me to keep working on it!

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
Keep working on yours mustache and post pics when you get it done. Just wondering if the links to the files i posted worked and if people were able to download them. Realunlucky built one from my plans with a few changes and upgrades and it looks like his turned out pretty nice.

n2horns

WKR
Realunlucky, show your new build. I have been looking at BCS2, Sawtooth, SO 6man tipi and now DIY, dang too much to think about. Any of you design any inner nets or making the back end a little wider ie., to lay down horizontally to the rear wall? Is it even feasible.

Would like to see the enhancements made and how they compare to mcr-85's work, nice work BTW!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Realunlucky, show your new build. I have been looking at BCS2, Sawtooth, SO 6man tipi and now DIY, dang too much to think about. Any of you design any inner nets or making the back end a little wider ie., to lay down horizontally to the rear wall? Is it even feasible.

Would like to see the enhancements made and how they compare to mcr-85's work, nice work BTW!

Can't link up you can see my build thread here in DIY section. Mcr-85 copycat tent

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't believe you can make the end long enough to sleep in and keep the pyramid shape that sheds the weather so great. This is a great design I've had mine in 30+ winds with no drama so far

n2horns

WKR
What is cost of it all minus labor? I understand that building DIY you can mod a few things etc.. So i don't sew and don't mind paying someone with that skill.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is cost of it all minus labor? I understand that building DIY you can mod a few things etc.. So i don't sew and don't mind paying someone with that skill.
I don't know the costs of material on this project but my guess would be ~$150, however to pay a qualified seamstress to build it you might as well just buy a kifaru sawtooth I would think.

Beendare

WKR
I think this is just too cool- great job. After making these, do you have any opinion on whether it would be better with a seam running right down the middle of the extended section? It seems to me it will guy out better without sag there....and it might be easier to construct in 2 halfs...not sure but curious what the experienced think?