Spotting scopes

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
Straight or angle? What's a good one for the costs in terms of under $500? I've never used one so I'm starting on a blank page with this. Thanks!

I am in this same boat and have been looking at the Vortex Diamondback series. They have 20-60x in both 60mm and 85mm I think, straight and angled. I have a set of their Diamondback binos and I really like them. The 60mm is around $399 and the 85mm is about $499, at least those were the prices at the local Cabelas. I always thought I'd want a straight scope, but then I used an angled model during a sitting period and those are really handy.

I hope this helps.

vegas hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think you will be pretty disappointed with any spotter at that price point. Been there, done that. I went from a Cabelas cheapo to a Zeiss 85 Diascope. That being said, I carried the cheap spotter I had for several years as it allowed me to at least tell buck from doe at 1000+ yards...until last light when everything just got dark and grainy through it. One thing I learned, I will never go back to a straight bodied spotter. As long as the you get an angled body that allows you to twist the eyepiece to whatever position you want it I see no advantage to a straight spotter. Good glass changes the way you hunt....Period.

You can pick up a vortex viper hd for a little less then 600 if you shop around. Did everything I needed it to do. I glassed bucks out to 3-4 miles away with it! Agree with getting angled.

OP
S

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys for the help. I will look into those. I kinds figured the angle would be more comfortable to sit and glass with. Much appriciated!