Blisters drove me off the mountain

rhendrix

WKR
So I cut my mule deer trip short by several days. It wasn't because of two days straight of rain, or waking up with my tarp collapsed on me from the snow fall (that was actually quite funny), or my boots that never dried out, or any other disastrous gear failure (and there were quite a few, trust me). It was because of these:
d0ea1f99066950d91805fcac0cd16f4e.jpg

I just simply couldn't get them to stop getting worse and worse, I ran outta duct tape and mole skin and after agonizing for hours about what to do and knowing that there was no way I could move basins are be worth a darn trying to stalk a deer I packed up and left. Now I'm filled with regret...I'm not sure what I could've done to mitigate the situation so I could keep hunting though. I'm just stuck with this crappy feeling that I could've and should've done something different. This freaking sucks. And what's worse is that I have 1000 miles to just wallow in it.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
And for the record...I know I'm coming off as a little bitch right now complaining over some little blisters, I just needed to vent.

The key is to beat your feet up in the pre season. Blisters like that are fine in June/July but as noted can be a show stopper in Sept.

Ironman8

WKR
Dang sorry to hear that Ron. Sucks. Let me know when you get in and we'll go grab a beer.

The key is to beat your feet up in the pre season. Blisters like that are fine in June/July but as noted can be a show stopper in Sept.

Can you elaborate on what you mean? Just hiking with a heavy pack, running, stairmaster, ect? Or something else?

Daniel_M

WKR
Will an insert fix this?

Depends on the foot/boot/sock/insole.

I use a Sz14 Lowa GTX. My feet are more of a 13.6, High Volume Sole insoles helped, but I still get heel lift. Ive tried different ways of lacing, thicker socks, thinner socks, different volume. In the end - my foot still doesnt mate the size 14 well. Great for moose, but hills will make hot spots after a few days.

PA 5-0

WKR
Not all tape is created equal. Nothing worse than continuous pain

That's tough and PAINFUL!! Get urself some Leukotape for next time. I bought it at the recommendation of guys on here. I stuck it on as soon as I landed at the strip and did not take a step without it. Stuff is amazing. Once it was on, I think it would have lasted the whole trip. I left it on for two days at a time then changed it. Left my extra supply with my guide as he was pretty impressed with the stuff.

Get urself some Leukotape for next time.
+1. Leukotape destroys moleskin, duct tape, etc. Fairly cheap too (about $10 for 15 yds on Amazon). Like PA 5-0, I change it every couple of days but I'm sure it could stay on longer. It's really sticky so it helps to take your time making sure it well attached so it doesn't snag on your sock. It also doesn't tear of the roll very well so scissors or a sharp knife are necessary.

duct tape chews my feet up unless im using it on an especially sore spot as part of a patch. i use atheltic tape and can get about 3 days out of a taping. re-taping every other day would be better. i plan to try some leukotape this next round though.
as far as beating your feet up, unless you have a ton of time for summer backpacking, its really hard to get them into real mountain shape. my legs were there, lungs were there, feet, well, i just kept taping them. hard to get them ready for 7-10days of solid off trail miles..
(i did alot of summer backpacking/scouting, my boots fit well, and have around 300mi on them.)

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
+2 on Leukotape. Nothing better out there for what it does. My feet are dressed up with the stuff before we even head out into the woods. I have left the stuff on for 6 days at home through showers and all and it would not come off. However in the field I usually retape every 2-3 days.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been there.. You need to call up Lathrop & Sons. Its not cheap, but they do a good job getting a boot tailored to both your feet and activity. Its a slow process, but I've got a new set of boots heading my way. I'm hoping that between that and reading the article on blister PREVENTION I should no longer have such issues.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
That almost made me cringe as much as my surgery on my foot did.

Definitely time to get professionally fitted. Merino wool socks work wonders also. I have found I can take a pair of boots that are giving me blisters, throw on some Merino Socks and I dont have the same experience. I think its a damn good thing of you to come on here and share that Ron. I think no less of a man for sharing his story of what he may feel as weakness, with the masses for everyone to experience and learn from. I dont think your coming off like a bitch at all. Have more respect that you can share this openly.

I always get blisters on my first big ascent and descent of the year while backpacking especially when hiking in wet snow. By Sept my feet are usually toughened up were it is no longer an issue. By July of this year I was actually thinking about getting a new pair of boots due to foot issues but ever since then I haven't had any problems and my feet felt great in the mountains all last week.

Not an easy thing to accomplish for those who don't live near the mountains or get the time to hike pre season. And I've never found an alternative to toughen my feet up around town. I can put a 100 miles on my boots around town and yet still will get blisters that first outing.

marc

Lil-Rokslider
That is why I wear trail runners unless I really NEED boots. I find I can always get through the early seasons with them.