2014 Elk Meatpole

vcb

WKR
Thought I would start off a 2014 Elk Harvest Post:

photo.JPG

I went in on Sunday morning 9/7 for the second time this Colorado archery elk season. It took me two hours and 50 min to reach my hunting spot which is pretty good time. I hunted Sunday night and Monday. Saw a few bulls but no shot opportunities. While sleeping in my Big Agnes tent tues night I could hear a few bulls bugling back and forth in the basin below me.

The watch alarm went off at 445 and I was having some coffee and oatmeal in a flash thanks to the jet boil. By 530 I was out of camp hiking down to the drainage below. Half way there in the dark a raspy bugle pierced the morning air. I had a tree stand hung in a pine tree at a particular pinch point in the basin. The bull sounded like he was right by my stand so with the bull above me and the thermals sinking I decided to get as close as possible to the bull in the dark. Once within 75 yds I waited for the light to come up.

I let out a few cow calls and saw the bull heading my way. He stopped in a little roll of the land and stared in my direction. I could tell he was a big wide bull and definitely a shooter. Then I felt it. That feeling up the back of your neck as the wind starts to flip. The wind never flips in this drainage at this time I said to myself. But sure enough he got a nostril full and trotted off to the timber.

I was bummed but the light had just come up and I had all morning to sit the stand. As I turned left to walk to my tree I looked up on the mountain a saw another bull slowly feeding. I got him in my glass and he looked like a mature 5x5. A shooter bull. I cow called to him and he screamed back at me demanding I come up to him. A few sexy cow calls later he came down to my elevation and walked into the willows. He thrashed his rack back and forth bugling every 30-60 seconds. I just let him get all fired up while reminding him every minute or two there was a hot chic over here waiting for him.

Finally he decided he was coming. He walked down the hill headed straight through the pinch point. I was slightly below the funnel to the far right end. As he walked my direction there was a small group of pines that he would have to walk behind, this was my draw opportunity. I could hear him grunting and breathing as he drew near. Once I saw his head disappear behind the pines I drew. He kept coming and I let him close the distance. At 40 yds he paused and I settled my pin and touched off the shot. I watched the shaft dot him behind the shoulder and bury in the grass behind him. He spun around faced the direction he came from and walked 5 steps, then stopped. I was motionless just watching what was unfolding in front of me having a front row seat. He stood there for about 8 seconds then coughed twice.....then got wobbly and went down.

There I was solo in the backcountry silently raising my bow above my head celebrating my achievement. I'm always amazed at the killing power and speed of a well placed broadhead.

I walked up to the silent bull and gazed at such a magnificent animal. I knelt down put my hand on his back and said a quick prayer. I thanked the bull for his life and for all the food he will provide for my family.

I snapped a few pictures, quartered and deboned the meat and hung it up in game bags. I packed my camp out that afternoon to return the next day with three lamas to get all the meat out.

I will always remember the way he thrashed his rack back and forth in the willows and the sound of his grunts as he came looking for the girl.

Attachments

• mikes buck.jpg
    mikes buck.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 584
  • leroys bear.jpg
    leroys bear.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 561
  • leroys cow.jpg
    leroys cow.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 555
  • dustins bull14.jpg
    dustins bull14.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
We packed three elk out in one day on our backs to our camp. It was a big challenge as we have never had to get more than one. Thankfully we was only 2.5 miles from camp and 2 miles from truck so we packed all to camp and packed it to the truck next morning. Its amazing what a human body is capable of doing jacked up on adrenaline!

KHNC

WKR

Greenhorn

FNG
I had some luck on the 3rd day of the MT season - bumped into this 350 8x6.
10551545_10203331669231454_7969888415540768636_o.jpg

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
Damn!! those are some big bulls!! Well done. Can anyone say Loin steak!