SG Minimalist + Kuiu Ultra 6000 Bag?

This is a combo I'm considering to solve some problems and give me the capabilities I'm looking for in a pack system.
First off, my history with packs. I've never had anything "top of the line". Prior to this year I've used my Eberlestock X2A1 for just about everything. I've done day hunts with it and loved it for that purpose. I've hauled hundreds of horns with it as well and loved it. However my adventures have outgrown this pack. This year I first tried a Slumberjack Rail Hauler, but it didn't fit me so I sold it. Next, I purchased a Kuiu Ultra 6000. I love the design of the bag but I can't get the thing to haul anything over ~40-50 lbs very comfortably. It does ok, but I use the crap out of my hunting equipment and I want it to be better.
Second are the intended uses for the pack. I've got a great job but I'm paying for school too and only working part time right now, which is why I am thinking of buying the Minimalist and putting my Ultra bag on it. I'm 5'6" and 145 so fit is a potential issue. My pack probably gets used for shed hunting more than everything else combined February-April it's every weekend with a couple weeklong trips thrown in, and at least 2 good fall trips as well in between hunts. I often find lots of bone and have to be able to carry at least 7-8 good sized elk antlers plus deer antlers in my pack. My intention is to put the big elk horns in between the pack frame and bag. We do some overnight trips so I need a good size bag for that gear as well. Along with shed season, I hunt like crazy August-November so the typical hunting requirements for a pack come in; be able to haul all my camp & hunting gear along with the ability to haul a deer sized animal out in one load with as much comfort as I can expect. Although I don't like the waist belt on my Kuiu I do like the bag well enough. I will likely eventually buy a Terminus bag but it's a bit out of reach for the next couple months.
What are your thoughts on this combo for these uses? Any other potential solutions? I definitely want the load shelf feature, want the whole system in the low 5 lb range, and can only spend so much right now. I've looked at Exo but getting ahold of one at this stage seems to be a looong waiting game. My other idea is to start with something like the Eberlestock Mainframe and build my own off of it (that was my original idea with the Slumberjack), but then weight will start to stack up a bit more.

muleman

WKR
Not sure how the bag will mate with the KruX frame. I'm in the Ogden area and have SG frame and bags, if you want to see if it will work.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Not a SG frame but I put the kuiu ultra 6000 on my kifaru bikini frame. No mods needed. Used the straps and clips that came with the bag and some slick clips. Used it on a 7 day elk hunt and loved it.

Could you post up some photos of your Kifaru/Kuiu combo wyelkhunter? That'd be a pretty slick setup I'd think.

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
I say go for it. I started with a minimalist setup from SG and made a Frankenpack with an ultralight Mountain Hardwear pack before picking up a Solo bag when I had some more coin. There Will be some fiddlefucking involved in mating the Kuiu but with a few beers and an evening I'm sure you'll have it dialed.

OP
PathFinder
Colo4x4XJ that's pretty much what I assumed. I can modify some things if I need to. Heck I'm a welder, I better get it to work or I'm not much use at my job. I'll post pics when I get the Minimalist and get it all together.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
Not a SG frame but I put the kuiu ultra 6000 on my kifaru bikini frame. No mods needed. Used the straps and clips that came with the bag and some slick clips. Used it on a 7 day elk hunt and loved it.

I'd like to see some pics too if you find the time. Anyone know how much different the icon pro is from the kuiu ultra as far as mounting goes. Tempted to order a bag a see how it goes.

Thanks,
Chad

tm7554

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to see some pics too if you find the time. Anyone know how much different the icon pro is from the kuiu ultra as far as mounting goes. Tempted to order a bag a see how it goes.

Thanks,
Chad

Chad,

I'm in the same boat I think. Want to try an Icon pro on a duplex frame.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry guys been real busy. Here are some pics. There are actually 2 straps on each side like the one in the second pic. The top one angles upwards from the pack to the frame. Pics are hard to tell, no mods to pack or frame. Just used existing tabs. The bottom 2 pics are the same strap I made to support the bottom of pack. The pack secured very nicely with 5 days of gear and compressed tight for day hunts
e3azepyp.jpg
erepery7.jpg
tyja6umy.jpg
u2e9edy7.jpg

Last edited:

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
If my brother ever gets his pics sent to me from his camera I will post some pics of it on and loaded. It fits the frame amazingly well. When packing meat(no I didn't get to try that part out :mad:) you could either pack it in the bag or use the straps and compress the meat load between the bag and frame. Sorry I am not very good at pics and describing how it works. hopefully you get the idea.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
If my brother ever gets his pics sent to me from his camera I will post some pics of it on and loaded. It fits the frame amazingly well. When packing meat(no I didn't get to try that part out :mad:) you could either pack it in the bag or use the straps and compress the meat load between the bag and frame. Sorry I am not very good at pics and describing how it works. hopefully you get the idea.

Thanks for posting the pics, curious where you got what looks like removable ladder locks (pic #2) or did those come on the KUIU pack. I see the quick clips that kifaru sells, but I hadn't seen the others before.

Thanks again,
Chad

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
They were off some straps that came with a sitka pack I had at one time. If I didn't have those, some extra buckles tjat kuiu has would work

Last edited: