shemagh for late season?

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
What are you guys using for a neck warmer in the winter? I have a neck gaiter and a balaclava, but am interested in those shemagh's. they look pretty sweet and versatile. Warm enough or just for warmer winter? If there are better brands that would be of interest too.

Funny you should ask, I had the same questions and have used the same gaiter and balaclava. Don't like to be constricted around the neck so thought this would be a good way to go and ordered one last night.

jdmdavey

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been wearing a neck/head gator this season..its been awesome.. keeps my ears warm and allows some face camo for getting close with a bow. It also is great just around the neck to keep the wind out of my jacket without having to fully zip it up. Its basically the same as alot of back country fly fisherman use. Light weight and stretchy..not a bulky fleece style.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1410879106323.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410879106323.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

kyle1112

WKR
I have one and it works real well. It's nice to have when in camp for head warmth while sleeping as well..like you said very versatile

i dig wearing a shemagh in the late season. i much prefer it to a stocking hat even. not so tight on my ears. pull it down around my neck to vent my head, pull it all the way up. also a very mulitpurpose item. ive got one from a local swapmeet and one from kryptek. sometimes i use it early season, soaked. for an evaporative cooling effect and shade.
last year i was told its like hunting with the taliban and this year i was referred to as sahid.. lol

OP
beetlespin

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
Haha! Fillthefreezer, I think my friends will say the same thing! I like how it works though, I'm ordering one!

2rocky

WKR
I use the Wyoming Edition

5406_thumb.jpg

Wyfox

FNG
I wear one in the heat of the summer to keep the sun off my neck to January frigid predator hunts, very versatile and cheap to use.

chindits

WKR
Never got in to the raghead thing, even overseas. A neck gaitor and a hat will be a lot less bulk and modern fabrics will absorb less moisture. However, a shegmagh will probably make a better towel after washing up in that ice cold stream.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried synthetic neck gaiters with beanies, ball caps with a toboggan and full face masks with a number of different hats and caps. I have finally settled on a First Lite merino neck gaiter with a 100% wool Stormy Kromer cap. It is a warm, light-weight combo with very little bulk. The gaiter fits nicely under the hat and makes a full face mask and will work anywhere I will likely be hunting, regardless of weather. Even though my hunting buddy calls me Elmer Fudd, I have finally found MY hunting cap.

Elmer (Biggs300) Fudd

Shrek

WKR
For the guys with a first lite neck gaiter how big is it. I've got an actual 19" neck and most of the neck gaiters I've tried choke me .

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
I can recommend the mesh/net version of the shemagh. Easy to regulate temperature with, air "pockets" keep you warm when needed and when opened up, mesh breathes extremely well. Also dries extremely fast. I cut mine down as I didn't need all the material/bulk. Only time I don't like it is during snowstorms, snow "sticks" to the mesh really well.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Shrek, I have a 17" neck and my gaiter has room to spare. The merino fabric stretches nicely and is very comfortable.

There is a reason that shemaghs are traditionally made of cotton. To hold moisture so that it will evaporate and cool your head and neck, same concept as the man dresses that they wear. I would look for some really thin wool to make one out of for the winter.

OP
beetlespin

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
hmmm, all kinds of choices, i think I am getting a Shemagh for my Bday here soon and I have a stormy Kromer, that would be an interesting combination. I like to keep everybody guessing! Just call me Sahid Fudd! :)