Packs: How Comfortable is Comfortable?

Right now, if you saw the other thread I just posted, I'm working on getting a pack system together. My problem is that almost every time I spend money on new hunting gear all I do is learn why I should have gone with something else. That is my current dilemma with a new pack system; that's a good chunk of change that could go towards a new bow or rifle if I really don't need it.
My past experience mostly involved my Eberlestock X2A1. I loved this pack; it's bombproof and hauls anything you can thing of for its size. However, loads over ~50 lbs seem to go straight to my shoulders. I now have a Kuiu Ultra 6000, and as I expected from lots of research it works but isn't comfortable. At first it gave me lumbar PAIN, but I've got it adjusted and figured out to where it doesn't now. I actually ended up taking two of the included accessory straps and running them around the part of the waistbelt where the frame connects in up to the first attachment points for the bag on the frame to reduce the lumbar pressure that made this thing impossible to use. This is a problem I've heard of from several people. However, problem not solved. While hauling out my deer (meat in main bag) + camp and yesterday when I loaded it up to test it (50lb chicken feed in load sling, camping gear (tent etc) + spotter and tripod in bag) the pack is able to put the load on the waist belt and off my shoulders but it's far from comfortable. There is still noticeable discomfort right at the small of my back, though it's far from what it was when I first started using this pack. My question is, how comfortable can a load like this actually be? Will spending the 350-650 on an Exo/SG/Kifaru/MR setup be that different from what I'm experiencing now? Do those pack systems actually bear that weight in a manner that can be called comfortable?

7mag.

WKR
The discomfort you are describing seems to be the most common complaint about that pack. Unfortunately, when it comes to packs, you pretty much get what you pay for. I used to think that the prices for packs like Kifaru and Mystery Ranch were outrages. I eventually got tired of sore shoulders and a sore back, so I bought a used Mystery Ranch. Wow, what a difference. Now I use a Kifaru, and in my opinion, they are worth the price. Comfort is relative to how much weight you are carrying, but I NEVER have a sore back or shoulders any more. Sore legs, yes, but that's not the pack's fault.

as 7mag said you get what you pay for usually.

Stepping up to a SG or Kifaru would be my recommendation as these packs are just on another level IMO.

Its easy for any pack to feel good under low weight, when you get 80-100lb range is where the higher end packs usually shine. And even if you spend all this money on a higher end pack and don't find it way better for some reason, resale value is usually very good.

Colo4x4XJ

Lil-Rokslider
While I don't have much experience hauling over 60# for long distances in the SG, I have often forgotten that I was even wearing a pack when it had 55# in it for summer trips. My only regret is wasting all that money and frustration on inferior packs before stepping up to a Stone Glacier

i really do think the kifaru waistbelt is where most of the comfort is derived from.
but, another thing to think about is how used to the load is your body. are your hips, core, and low back thinking just another day, or ohmygawd, why are you punishing me like this!

_Nick_

WKR
i really do think the kifaru waistbelt is where most of the comfort is derived from.
but, another thing to think about is how used to the load is your body. are your hips, core, and low back thinking just another day, or ohmygawd, why are you punishing me like this!

Agreed.

I did almost 80 miles in the Brooks range this summer with my camp on my back in a SG frame with Sky 7400 bag. The SG worked and felt amazing. Absolutely no lower back pain or pressure points whatsoever. My legs on the other hand.....I'm never in sheep shape until after I get back from a sheep hunt.

Daniel_M

WKR
Not every high end pack is the same, either. I started out with a Barney's pack years ago, you know..to haul them 500# loads 3x daily. No doubt a great setup...but not for me. I now run a Duplex HighCamp. It took a bit of adjusting both at the house and in field, luckily I had a few pro's on hand to make the right recomendations for what I needed to adjust. That said, I humped a 107# load full of gear, goats and deer 2.5 miles down the mountain to camp and I found my pack to be very, very comfortable.

That said, I had to adjust the stays. My #1 issue out of the gate was lower back pressure. I traced out the factory shape on the wall and after 2-3 round sof bending, I was in business.

TXCO

WKR
I used a SG sky 7400 on an Alaskan goat hunt. It was very comfortable and handled miles of brush busting. I would highly recommend it.

Manosteel

WKR
Until you try a high end pack then you will not understand comfort in a pack. Its to hard to describe over the net. The best I can do is I have no more shoulder or lower back pain, hot spots or stiff neck since I starting using my Kifaru BT1.

I shot a deer this past weekend with my bow while wearing the pack (and it was a long shot) with day hunt gear in it, about 30 lbs, and I didn't take off the pack to make the shot. To be honest I was so focused on closing the distance given the terrain that I forgot I had it on and it had no effect on my form. Then packing the deboned deer meat out 2 days later with all my gear was very easy and comfortable. 4 miles back to truck and other than sore muscles from walking with an extra 100+ lbs on your body, I could have walked another 4 miles. I normally haul moose and elk meat, so the deer meat felt very light.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pack comfort is less about anatomy and personal preference than many might think. Coming from a design and manufacturing standpoint, the first thing you want to do with a heavy load capable pack is to give it a frame that is very stiff. This allows the pack to support the load and have a chance at transferring it to the hip belt and from there to the pelvis. A frame that collapses will not be comfortable at heavy loads.

The second thing you have to do, and this is probably the hardest, is to make a hip belt that doesn't slip under load. Many many many packs out there are comfortable with 30-60 lb load, but after 60-70 lbs the hip belt begins to slip. When that happens you start the "stop, shrug the pack up, tighten the belt, adjust the hipbelt" repetitive act. With a hipbelt that slips the pack will slip down eventually, which both limits range of movement of the lower body and puts weight on the shoulders and back. Also, you wind up over tightening the belt to the point that it is physically strangling you and will cause hip bruising the next day. Honestly hipbelt slip is where most packs fail in the comfort department.

You see many guys give recommendations of pack comfort, and like anything else those recommendations are made based on that individual's breadth of experience. Guys think that what they have is great because it is a lot better than what they used to have, but they don't know that it may not be as comfortable as something else out there that they haven't tried. This is compounded by the fact that if you're investing hundreds and hundreds (or even thousands in some cases) of dollars in a pack then the fact you spent that much on it predisposes you to like the product and to defend your investment. So, take those recommendations with a grain of salt.

Nathan

alukban

FNG
My Paradox pack does not slip - PERIOD.

I cannot load it with enough stuff to be uncomfortable on my shoulders. My legs and knees will give out before my shoulders will because the load is on the belt.

OP
PathFinder
Paradox...Why haven't I seen those before? May order one very very soon :) RockChucker30 that's exactly what the problem is. The Ultra is better than my X2 but I know from how guys talk about their Kifaru/SG/Exo/MR etc packs it should be better. I definitely had to cinch it up a bunch of times and ended up with hot spots over both hip bones and at the small of my back. My legs were tired but I can deal with that; I wanted that freaking thing off my back by the end! Any others that have experience with the Paradox packs? I'm going to take a serious look at them.

_Nick_

WKR
there have been some discussions about paradox on here... type this into google: paradox site:rokslide.com

that should get you lots of info!

If you want to try and go another route, test drive a McHale. I've never used one, but they're custom and apparently super comfortable with massive loads. Just another option to look into.

jljmonky

FNG
I would generally agree with the "get what you pay for" crowd... but there is an exception. I "built" my own. I have used Kifaru and Osprey and Kelty and a bunch of military packs but what has beat them all recently is an external frame REI frame that I fitted with an ILBE bag... I played with several bags and set ups before landing with this set up.

Ebby

WKR
I have a Paradox and like it a lot. I had a Kifaru KU and liked it a lot as well. The paradox is better for me but you need to check out what works best for you. PM if you want to try out the Paradox, I can ship it to you and let you try it out.

Lee