Quest for Stone's, part three

tuffcity

WKR
So this is year three of trying to get my wife her first Stone Sheep. I talked to pilots, I talked to those “in the know”, I got “come talk to me” advice from people who had been to the area and been successful… camp here, follow this drainage up, glass these mountain sides. I thought I was dialed in.

September 4th I landed in Whitehorse where Helen picked me up from the airport and we drove straight to Atlin, we had the float plane booked for an afternoon flight out. She was still in her work clothes and I was lamenting the couple of items I had forgotten to pack. (Like my frickin’ jetboil and all the jerky I had made for the trip!)

Rewind…

Usually we have our gear sitting on the dining room table for weeks before we go. It’s checked, rechecked, and finally packed up. Earlier this year Hel had taken a job with Yukon Territorial Gov’t and was living in Whitehorse. She is still technically a BC Resident so we planned on hunting Stones in northern BC. The problem with that is that we had gear scattered between Whitehorse and Victoria, only a mere 1500 miles (2500 km) apart. This made for some interesting calls: “Is (some item) up there with you?” “I can’t find this (some other item)”. Finally we had most of it resolved.

But it was the year of chaos in the packing department.

All our food was ordered online and shipped to Whitehorse (hey, they had buy “X” amount and shipping is free, plus it saved on me having to fly up with it), it arrived on September 3rd. One bullet dodged. I texted Hel from the Vancouver airport, “Forgot to pack my jetboail” She had to run out on her lunch and get me a new one. Upside, I really like the new titanium one!

We had stuff packed in totes and thrown in the truck but what the hell, we where going hunting, we’d throw it all in the Beaver and sort it out at base camp.

And so the journey began…

sheephunt12_zpsed7d942e.jpg

We spent the first night at the lake and then rearranged our gear the next morning and started to pack in.

sheephunt20_zpsf8516ce0.jpg

When we cleared the trees we spotted a ram that, through bino’s, looked like it might be legal. He wondered off before we could get a scope on him but it set the stage for optimism.

sheephunt13_zps1f0b0d59.jpg

The wind started to really pick up on the higher ridges. I was nearly 300 pounds on the ground with all my gear and what I weigh and the wind was starting to throw me around. My wife, considerably lighter, was having a much tougher time so we decide to camp and found a spot up against a small bluff and some scrub pines that offered a bit of respite from the wind. We found the biggest rocks we could handle to weigh the tent down and rode out the storm. Our North Face tent handled it like a champ.

Made it in the next morning and once camp was set up we immediately starting seeing sheep and caribou, unfortunately ewes and lambs. The next day we spotted a couple of rams and after about 4 hours of chase the feeding sheep we got a good enough look to see that they were a half and three quarter curl. Next!

That evening the clouds set in and the rain started. That night the rain turned to driving snow and we lost the next day due to no visibility.

What’s sheep hunting without a snow storm?

sheephunt6_zps5d8b821f.jpg

sheephunt22_zps20c19b84.jpg

sheephunt9_zpse9635754.jpg

sheephunt4_zps2eba0a4e.jpg

Last edited:
OP
tuffcity

tuffcity

WKR
sheephunt7_zpse42ea82a.jpg

A couple of days later we bumped into 4 sheep in the middle of a grassy plateau,

sheephunt24_zps82c1b3a7.jpg

saw a ewe first then a younger ram with her and I thought there might be another ram as well. We bellied through the grass and managed to get within about 85 yards as the sheep crossed in front of us. There was another ram but he went just shy of 7/8th. It was a classic calendar picture moment as the two rams sky lined themselves then stopped and did the quartering way look back. The clear blue sky, back-dropped mountains and two of the prettiest Stone sheep I have ever seen had me wishing I had lugged the extra 10 pounds of DSLR and 400 mm lens up with me… almost. Unfortunately my new Sony RX 100 iii wasn’t up to the task at that distance.

We put a lot of boot miles on the next 4 days.

sheephunt1_zps861b686f.jpg

sheephunt18_zps2b8926e8.jpg

sheephunt8_zps5f578acd.jpg

sheephunt25_zps21ecf287.jpg

sheephunt26_zpsa281d5bb.jpg

sheephunt21_zps99b7b431.jpg

OP
tuffcity

tuffcity

WKR
sheephunt23_zps8ca8a294.jpg

sheephunt10_zps9c798dc6.jpg

sheephunt11_zps7dd8ad18.jpg

Alas it was not meant to be and we never did find any more rams. Finally it was time to admit defeat and head back to the lake.

sheephunt14_zps8aac9a8f.jpg

sheephunt28_zps8fecba44.jpg

So, apparently as a sheep guide I suck. :) My initial scout reports had suggested that there was only going to be one party in that area before us, and that was a month before we showed up. Turns out there were at least 3 parties in (that I know of) so pressure may have pushed the rams further back than we could go in the short time we had up there.

Looks like Hel will be in the YT long enough to be a Yukon resident hunter next year so we might be chasing white sheep instead of Stones next year.

Damn I hate strike three…

RC

Stid2677

WKR
WOW,, really enjoyed the report. Stone Sheep is on my bucket list. Best wishes to you both.

bizyrok

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for taking the time to share your hunt and the photos. Really some wonderful country. Stay with it and your time will come!

Beautiful country! I've flown in to a few different areas with Chris on both wheels and floats, he is an excellent pilot!

bcimport

WKR
Just got out from Northern BC myself. We struck out. Saw no sheep or goats, moose wouldn't come out of the timber in the wind and we couldn't close the deal on the only legal caribou we got on. Such is an unguided hunt up north without the super cub or beaver running daily recon for you.

OP
tuffcity

tuffcity

WKR
Oh I'm not bummed about no ram, I probably should have written it up a bit different. I guess I was projecting the smidgen of disappoint my wife felt. But she is a fairly new hunter and not being about to even stalk a legal ram, regardless of outcome, I think equated to a "nice trip but..." sort of feeling for her. I suspect we've all been at that stage some time during our hunting "careers". I've tipped over enough critters that any trip like that is enough if it, as I jokingly tell the people I work with, heals my soul.

Plus I didn't lose an extra 5 pounds just packing one of her beasts out- unlike last year! lol

We saw some cool new country and I would like to go back there one day, probably for longer and push back further.

RC

Yukon

FNG
Nice write up and great pictures. You will have an easier time spotting the Dalls next season! Stone sheep hunting can be tricky and I often do too much hiking and not enough glassing. Love the colour up on the mountains.

7stw

WKR
Great story thanks for taking us on your adventure. It's called hunting not killing for a reason. Best of luck next year.