DIY elk help

I've saw enough stuff this year that I'm going elk hunting in September of 2016, can't go 2015. I can only hold back for so long. Me and a buddy, possibly 2 more are going elk hunting with bows. We are think OTC, would you suggest Idaho or Colorado ? Any help or tips would be appreciated. Any lists would be appreciated also.

Bar

Banned
The best tip I can give you is don't do an OTC hunt in Colorado if you have another option. Any unit worth hunting will be very crowded.

Bar

Banned
I never hunted it. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

I'm not saying to not hunt Colorado. Just try to avoid OTC hunts. There's units you can win the draw with low to no points. Are you hung up on shooting a bull, or will a cow do?

OP
Huntin Hard
I would like to shoot a bull. Not saying I won't shoot a cow but if I'm driving 30 hours 1 way I'd like to come home with a bull.

weaver

WKR
Another option would be to buy Wyoming preference points and apply for a general tag. There may even be some archery tags worth drawing. You'd have 2 points going into the 2016 draw if you buy one this year yet.

OP
Huntin Hard
I'm planning on putting in next year for places but thinking Idaho DIY is up first.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm assuming this is your first trip elk hunting right? If so, first off don't get hung up on a bull because IMO a cow for a first timer would be awesome. Second I hunted this year OTC Colorado and while we ran into a very few hunters, they were there. We did however choose a particularly brutal gmu from what I understand. That being said neither myself nor my hunting partner punched our tag but we're going back to the same gmu next year.

Bar

Banned
I agree about the cow. It will be very excited for a first time hunter. Plus, it will give you the experience you'll need to go after a bull the next time. It's much better to shoot a cow, than hunt for a bull, and get nothing.

OP
Huntin Hard
Yeah we are planning on buying a either sex tag, we want a bull but if it comes down to it I'll shoot a cow.

hobbes

WKR
I think instead of "I'm driving 30 hrs I want a bull", I would recommend: I'm driving 30 hrs, I don't want to go home without a freezer full of the best meat on the planet.
DIY + OTC unit + first elk hunt = shoot the first legal adult elk that gives you a good shot. I'm having fits trying to kill one and I live here and have been in them the last five days. Maybe that is just me.

Another option may be Montana as they've had a surplus of tags for a few years now. I'm out there now on a surplus tag. Having a blast!

Yup they are pricey in Montana I guess if your not from an elk state you gotta pay to play. But it is an option...

Another option would be to buy Wyoming preference points and apply for a general tag. There may even be some archery tags worth drawing. You'd have 2 points going into the 2016 draw if you buy one this year yet.

I'd go with this option as welli think its a great idea. I think you have two more days to buy those points without actually applying...just buy "points only". Get your friend/friends to buy them with you.