Kuiu performance - not as advertised! Beware

MatSuDano

FNG
So, I just returned from a 5 day ride/walk-in in the Talkeetna Mountains. While out there, I tested out some new of my new Kuiu gear for the first go on a real Alaska hunting trip. I had picked up a set of the Yukon outerwear earlier this spring, but had limited opportunity to really test it out in some genuinely crappy weather. It was the same story with my new pack, an Ultra 6000 that I purchased earlier this summer. Here is my unbiased review:

The Kuiu merino base layer(s) are great; no issues (They’re long johns – what can go wrong?).

The Kuiu Yukon outerwear did not perform as expected and I would not recommend to a friend. The fit, quality, material, and design seemed good; I was digging everything about this jacket and especially the pants for the first couple days. It was tough as nails, comfortable, fairly quiet, and breathes as advertised. Then it started to rain. From mild sprinkles to a light drizzle (for non-extended periods), I think the Yukon would suffice perfectly; however, on that day we got a little more than a light drizzle. It rained fairly hard for Alaska – nothing like the rainstorms down south, but a heavy consistent drizzle (I’d say a 7 out of 10 on the AK rain scale). I’m being very generous when I say it took 4 hours for the Yukon jacket to completely soak through. After less than two hours in the rain, I could feel wet through my shoulders and hood. That’s when I had a look at the jacket’s lining and could see the water slowly soaking into and saturating the entire jacket. Less than 2 hours after that the entire jacket was completely saturated, with zero remnants of water repellence left on the exterior surface of the material. You could watch rain drops hit the jacket then absorb right into it, all the way into my base layer. The pants fared a little better, but I think that’s mostly because I was standing and the jacket was taking the brunt of the weather. Short story: If you’re going to be out in occasional light rain, then Yukon stuff is great- but, DO NOT depend on this stuff to keep you dry. My hunting partner was sporting a brand new set of Kuiu Chugach NX raingear; it performed no better than the Yukon, and he also was very displeased. This stuff will be going back.

The Kuiu Ultra 6000 pack – imported junk. My first impressions were that it fit good, carried nice, and is lighter than a popcorn fart. The design is good, but the quality apparently sucks. I’d put a few miles on around the house this summer wearing this pack with 20-30 lbs. in it, but never any hard travel. This was the first real trip into the backcountry with my new pack, and I had it loaded with about 50 lbs of gear and food. It was around a 15 mile wheeler ride to where we started hiking, and once we got to the end of the wheeler trail we got everything situated in and prepared to head up the mountain. The first time I put my loaded pack on, the hip belt buckle snapped in two the instant I buckled the belt together. I had to jury rig my hip belt with paracord and buckles stolen off of different kit to even begin the hunt. By the end of that day’s hike the stitching on the bag had blown out in two places (where straps / appurtenances are sewn to the bag), the clip that retains a water bladder had busted it’s seams and fallen off, and the buckle which holds the pack cover in place at the back of your neck had fallen off as well, all due to what I’ve deemed poor assembly/workmanship and just plain poor quality. What a bummer, as I still like the design of the pack, and it carried extremely well for me; however, the poor (or lack of) quality on this unit was enough to seriously outweigh any of the pack’s high-points. This one’ll be going back to Kuiu as well.

On a side note, I also had a new FirstLite Uncomphagre puffy jacket, which I brought to the backcountry for the first time; this is my new favourite jacket, and I am seriously considering replacing my shitty Kuiu Outerwear with some of the Boundary Stormtight stuff from FirstLite. Anyone have any experience with this gear?

Kotaman

WKR
Wow...Bummer for sure...I've been using KUIU Rain Gear (Chugach and Yukon) for a couple years from AK to the Yukon to BC in some horrible weather and have not experiencd what you did. That has to be frustrating on a trip like that. I wore my Yukon Jacket and Pants 24/7 on an AK brown bear hunt in APril in wet snow and rain and it performed flawlessly. I would definately send yours back as there has to be a flaw as most reviews of the Yukon have been fantastic. From serious hunters to guides, not many have had anything bad to say about the Yukon.

As far as the pack goes, the Ultra is anything but durable. No matter the maker, Ultra lite and durable are two things that don't go together in a pack. For that reason, I would never again take an "ultra lite" pack into the back country. The Icon Pro, however, is a different animal. If they would put decent waist straps and buckles on this pack, they would have something...The Icon Pro is a very nice pack. It's no Kifaru, but for half the money it is a great alternative.

My First Lite stuff has held up well. The puffy has been great and just this year I picked up some Storm Tight stuff to check out. I used it on a Caribou hunt in Manitoba where we had intermitent showers and snow and the First Lite stuff worked great.

I'm somewhat of a gear junkie and have never really had a bad experience with KUIU, Kryptek or First Lite and I have plenty of all of it and it gets USED. Too bad you had a bad exerperience...that type of experience can ruin a hunt in a hurry...

KHNC

WKR
Rivers West makes some great rain fleece gear. However, it is kind of noisy if you are used to true silent hunting wear. Its sheds water great and I don't think you will ever easily rip or tear it. One thing tho, is you can not hike in their stuff. It will sweat you absolutely to death!! But , if its cold snow and/or raining , ive used nothing better. I have a lot of First Lite gear also, but haven't tried the rain gear items.

Stid2677

WKR
Were you hiking through brush??? Water transfer from walking through soaked brush is almost impossible to prevent with any kind of breathable rain gear. Much different than being out exposed to falling rain only.

Still using the same Chugach jacket I bought when the company first came out. IMHO the single layer type rain gear is better than the 3 layer stuff for Alaskan use and I have tried both for the last ten years.

Sboada

FNG
Stid2677: so you are happy with your Chugach? Picked one up this season but haven't used it yet. This thread doesn't inspire confidence and wondering what your experience has been.

Stid2677

WKR
Stid2677: so you are happy with your Chugach? Picked one up this season but haven't used it yet. This thread doesn't inspire confidence and wondering what your experience has been.

Best rain gear I have ever used and I own several including the best Sitka and Kryptek.

I got the first run of Chugach in 2010 I believe it was, been used and abused and is still going. I wear it over my down jackets as a soft shell and seldom wear my soft shell much. The pants are starting to show wear, so may upgrade this spring.

If I were to buy tomorrow, it would be a new Chugach NX set.

IMGP1966.jpg

P8100152_zpse24f56cf.jpg

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
Were you hiking through brush??? Water transfer from walking through soaked brush is almost impossible to prevent with any kind of breathable rain gear. Much different than being out exposed to falling rain only.

Still using the same Chugach jacket I bought when the company first came out. IMHO the single layer type rain gear is better than the 3 layer stuff for Alaskan use and I have tried both for the last ten years.

stid makes a great point here. If you are looking to stay dry in brush soaked terrain, you're only option may very well be the heavy duty plastic stuff. I don't know of any breathable rain gear around that can handle the "transfer" issue.

_Nick_

WKR
I'd also wonder at your level of exertion while wearing the gear. Even the best 'breathable' rain gear is not breathable enough to handle heavy exertion. If you were hiking hard, you were probably building up condensation on the inside of the jacket. Perhaps the shoulders and neck leaked, but I'd bet good money that the rest of the 'wetting through' you observed was probably due to condensation buildup. The best material I've found for breathability is the Polaltec NeoShell stuff. But even that has its limits.

Floorguy

WKR
Rivers West makes some great rain fleece gear. However, it is kind of noisy if you are used to true silent hunting wear. Its sheds water great and I don't think you will ever easily rip or tear it. One thing tho, is you can not hike in their stuff. It will sweat you absolutely to death!! But , if its cold snow and/or raining , ive used nothing better. I have a lot of First Lite gear also, but haven't tried the rain gear items.
I wouldn't say rivers west sheds water as much as it absorbs water and holds it away from your body so that you don't feel it. I had a buddy with an RW jacket and he stayed dry BUT his jacket felt like it weighed 10 lbs heavier than before it got wet.

Mmcan

WKR
I just posted my experience w the Yukon items. I didn't have your extreme weather, and was very happy with mine. Guess I'll have to get myself into a deluge or a monsoon and really check it out!

OP
MatSuDano

MatSuDano

FNG

There was a little alder busting going on towards the end of the hike (this was the day we were coming down off the mountain), but by the time we got down to tree line I was already fairly wet. The alders didn't help

PA 5-0

WKR
I have the last two seasons on my Chugach set and this year's AK sheep hunt where I wore it daily. One day for 10 straight hours of rain: hiking, glassing, rolling around on the ground, etc. My guide was wearing a Yukon set and swears by it. Very breathable and I really don't know how it could be more water proof. I was actually shocked by how comfortable it was while climbing heavy up 60 degree rock walls. When I first ordered it, I stood in my shower for 20 mins with the set on. Would buy it again in a second.

OP
MatSuDano

MatSuDano

FNG
I'd also wonder at your level of exertion while wearing the gear. Even the best 'breathable' rain gear is not breathable enough to handle heavy exertion. If you were hiking hard, you were probably building up condensation on the inside of the jacket. Perhaps the shoulders and neck leaked, but I'd bet good money that the rest of the 'wetting through' you observed was probably due to condensation buildup. The best material I've found for breathability is the Polaltec NeoShell stuff. But even that has its limits.

Exertion level was moderate, but I wasn't sweating profusely by any means, and I was pretty well ventilated through the pit vents; the moisture I was experiencing was assuredly penetrating from the outside. This was directly evident by the visible saturation patterns on the jacket's liner.

_Nick_

WKR
Exertion level was moderate, but I wasn't sweating profusely by any means, and I was pretty well ventilated through the pit vents; the moisture I was experiencing was assuredly penetrating from the outside. This was directly evident by the visible saturation patterns on the jacket's liner.
Crazy. I'd certainly return them. Sounds like a defective product to me.

OP
MatSuDano

MatSuDano

FNG
Kuiu's sending me a new set of the Yukon stuff - hoping this was a dud. They can keep the Ultra; I think I might try out a Stone Glacier pack (or I might just go back to my smelly, faded, 20 year old L.L.Bean pack that has never failed me yet). L.L. Bean may be kinda yuppie, but they make some good stuff, and stand behind their products.

As far as raingear goes, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that if you see "breathable" and "waterproof" in the same sentence, someone is trying to sell you something. I've run the gamut now, from the cheap old Stearns Mad-Dog stuff, to the old Cableas dry-plus, to gore-tex, and now to the high-end Kuiu stuff, with no noticeable gains in performance. Maybe it's back to rubber for me - I'm off to Unimak this spring, and it doesn't get much soggier than that; I really don't want to spend two weeks wet and miserable in my fancy top of the line raingear:cool:.

Stid2677

WKR
Kuiu's sending me a new set of the Yukon stuff - hoping this was a dud. They can keep the Ultra; I think I might try out a Stone Glacier pack (or I might just go back to my smelly, faded, 20 year old L.L.Bean pack that has never failed me yet). L.L. Bean may be kinda yuppie, but they make some good stuff, and stand behind their products.

As far as raingear goes, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that if you see "breathable" and "waterproof" in the same sentence, someone is trying to sell you something. I've run the gamut now, from the cheap old Stearns Mad-Dog stuff, to the old Cableas dry-plus, to gore-tex, and now to the high-end Kuiu stuff, with no noticeable gains in performance. Maybe it's back to rubber for me.

When you get the new Yukon,,, sell it and buy a set of the SINGLE layer stuff "choose brand", it works better in Alaska IMHO, it is lighter and dries quicker.

I'm a sweater myself and found it best to use a base layer only over the zipped open Chugach while moving and remove wet base layer once stopped and pu.. t on a dry shirt and puffy and snap any water off my rain gear and put it back on.

Another way I have found that works for me is to move wearing only a wind shirt, my favorite is the Patagonia Houdini, 4 OZs and acts as a rain and wind block while moving. Once I stop I remove it and shake off any sweat or rain and put on dry layers.

Very hard to stay dry while hiking in the rain and harder with a pack.

DaveC

WKR
DWR treatments on modern WPB gear are rendered temporarily ineffective when they get dirty. Raingear can get this dirty, easily, just riding around in your backpack. When the DWR doesn't work, the face fabric gets soaked, and the jacket doesn't work well (for a number of reasons).

Being upable to re-up the DWR in the field is a real limitation of WPB jackets. Aside from that, I'd reckon 95% of WPB "failures" are user error only. No idea if this applies to the OP.

When you get the new Yukon,,, sell it and buy a set of the SINGLE layer stuff "choose brand", it works better in Alaska IMHO, it is lighter and dries quicker.

I'm a sweater myself and found it best to use a base layer only over the zipped open Chugach while moving and remove wet base layer once stopped and pu.. t on a dry shirt and puffy and snap any water off my rain gear and put it back on.

Another way I have found that works for me is to move wearing only a wind shirt, my favorite is the Patagonia Houdini, 4 OZs and acts as a rain and wind block while moving. Once I stop I remove it and shake off any sweat or rain and put on dry layers.

Very hard to stay dry while hiking in the rain and harder with a pack.
ive got to 2nd the windshirt and switch to other clothes once stopped. been much happier since ive started using this technique.