What do you guys do on an Antelope hunt

Bulldawg

WKR
I'm going on my anual Wyoming trip and was thinking about changing the way I package the meat. Usually I quarter, bag, and get on ice and dry ice right away. I never have meat go bad and it turns out great but i was thinking about trying to just skin and gut them and put in a big cooler whole with dry ice so i can save some more meat. Anybody tried this? Is it a waste of time and should I just quarter the way I usually do it?

Thanks guys.

I usually do what you do with the ice, but go the other direction with the meat. I tend to bone everything out and put it in the cooler that way. I don't know that you'll be saving much on an antelope by doing it that way. Good luck on the hunt!

2rocky

WKR
All you would be saving is some Rib and Flank meat. Granted if I have a short drag, and a place to hang a carcass I'll skin it whole.
Alternatively, After Boning the loin and tenderloin, and taking off the shoulders and hams, You could saw the ribs off the spinal column and the neck and bone it all later if you need more ground meat. By the time you bone it out you might wonder why you did it...

OP
Bulldawg

Bulldawg

WKR
I usually feel like I end up with a lot more meat the less work I do in the field the more meat I end up with. So when i quarter i get a little more than when I debone and when I get em out whole I get more than when I quarter. It was just a thought I don't know if I would have the cooler space for 5 antelope whole. I'll stick with the plan of putting 30 pounds of dry ice on the bottom of a cooler cover with a towel or two and start putting quarters in game bags on top of the ice.

wapitibob

WKR
I toss quarters in cooler with bag ice, add more goats, more ice/drain, leave them there for a week and then cut up. It takes two days for the temp to stabilize and the ice to quit melting.