Wyoming Region R

I tried doing a search for some info on deer hunting in WY's Region R but didn't have much luck. I'll be heading out there for the October 15th opener this year for the first time and would love to hear thoughts from anyone who's been out there before about their experience. Since I won't be able to hunt the Cloud Peak Wilderness as a non-resident, can I expect to find any areas in the National Forest to backpack into and get away from the ATV/Road Hunters and crowds for at least a couple of days at a time? Or is that wishful thinking? It looks like there's quite a few trails on the maps, but I don't know if that means dirt roads, or rocky, nasty goat trails. This will be both my first time mule deer hunting, and first time to the Bighorns, so any insight you're willing to provide would be a huge help!

LJ Buck

WKR
Look at maps and Google earth locate all the roads and mark them and look for areas that dont have any Atv trails or roads goi9ng through. Be patient and Glass A LOT

OP
M
From the searching I've done on Google Earth, it looks like there's quite a bit of timber in the higher elevations. Are there enough high spots and open areas to glass up there to be productive, or do most folks have better luck down in the lower BLM country? Somewhere in between maybe?

OP
M
Planning to head out in a week and a half and getting excited! Any other last minute advice from all of the WY mule deer experts out there would be a huge help! Things like places to avoid that might have had logging activity or been recently burned. And should we expect to find the deer at any particular elevation or type of terrain starting Oct. 15th?

wyosteve

WKR
Not necessarily a tip on the deer, but keep a close eye on the weather. It can change in hours that time of year. A couple years ago, the Bighorns got about 4 ft. of snow during that time frame and they had to hire dozers to try and retrieve hunters. On the other hand, it could also be 70 and sunny. So the point is, go prepared for the potential extremes. This includes your vehicle. Many of the dirt 2 tracks go a long way into the mountains and you don't want to be stuck in there if it snows or even rains much.

OP
M
Thanks wyosteve. Will definitely keep that in mind. If it looks questionable we'll probably plan on spending more time out in the lower elevation BLM land I think.