2014 Ak caribou hunt pics and gear review

Retterath

WKR
To view photos of our hunt out of Kotzebue, AK, click the link below.

http://www.studiorphotography.net/alaska2014

We had an unbelievable experience in Ak and will be heading back. I went with my dad and was great to spend time with him. We didn't see hardly any caribou and didn't fill any tags but awesome time.

2014 Alaska Hunt Gear Review

I thought I would share some of the gear I used in Alaska on my caribou hunt. I do not sell or work for any of these companies from the gear listed, strictly just my personal opinion from this experience.

Nikon Cool Pix L20--Pictures were ok quality but nice that the camera is small and compact. Will definitely be upgrading cameras, which will add more weight but would be worth it.

Garmin GPS Oregon 450T- -Didn’t use it much but it’s been a great thing to have. It has great functions.

Swarovski EL 10x42--First season I have used these binoculars and love them. Great optics as most everyone knows and worth the money.

Jet Boil Sol Ti Stove- The only one I have ever used and was a must for hunting in Alaska. Boils water in a couple of minutes and the boil container is cool to the touch immediately after dumping the water out.

Kelty Ignite 0Degree dri down bag- The coldest night up there was about 25 degrees and I was cold in that bag. I am 6’1, 185lbs and I was wearing two layers of Merino wool long underwear. Wool t-shirt, ¼ zip and vest and just could not stay warm. I don’t have a lot of body fat so that may make a difference but had a full stomach. Also had wool socks on and a beanie. When I head up again I will be taking a warmer bag for sure. Good quality bag, just didn’t keep me that warm. Some of the other nights were around 38 and I slept ok. Also was using a Thermarest pad and was on a cot.

Kennetrex boots MTN Extreme 400 with Kenetrex Gaitors.- Walked through lots of water and boots worked great. Make sure if anyone heads up that way to have a good boot with excellent ankle support, in can be challenging going through some of that tundra.

Eberlestock J34 Pack- Pack worked great, never got to load it full of meat so I cant give comments on that. At times it seemed like I didn’t have pack adjusted just right which caused lots of pressure pulling on my shoulders. Maybe because I had the gun in the scabbard and the main compartment with gear was a little way off my back, but most of the weight was up close to my back.

First Light Merino Wool- Boxers, t-shirt and the Llano ¼ zip was what I had on for base layers. I wore that for 6 days straight and I thought for sure I would smell terrible because I sweat like a rain forest. I wore dead down wind deodorant with it and it did not smell bad at all. Super impressed with it and will be buying one more set of base layers.

Kryptex Clothing- Koldo rain gear was awesome. It rained one whole day and a little every other day. Kept me dry at all times and also kept me protected from the wind. I really like the leg zippers on the pants, easy on and off. Great quality.

The Dalibor pants I wore for 6 straight days also. I also brought the Alios pants but never wore them. Cadog pants were my favorite and are of great quality.

Kyrptex vest I wore the entire trip- definitely a favorite in their clothing line.

Tent- We used the Cabelas Alaskan Dome tent from the outfitter. It worked well but we will be bringing my Big Agnes tent up next time so I don’t have to rent the tent and other camp gear.