Recommend a tarp for backup/emergency shelter

n2horns

WKR
I have been thinking of carrying a tarp while hunting in case the weather turns and need shelter or even sleep in if needed. Any recommendations on a tarp and size? I really like the Kifaru mega, but can't justify the cost. Was looking at something in the 150 to 225 range. 12x14 size?

Hoping for about a pound with some line and stakes. I saw a few options at bearpaw any input would be great.

gwl79902

WKR
Take a look at a 5x8 silnylon tarp it is small and light and will work for a temp shelter and with practice you can use it for general camping solo shelter. If you want a solo shelter I would and am using a 8x10 tarp. Take a look at a Golite poncho tarp. It may be what you are looking for they were onsale for less than 60 dollars

Floorguy

WKR
Warbonnet gt tarp. I have the Warbonnet superfly which is designed for hammocks the gt is essentially the same but designed for the ground. It is also similar to the mega tarp in that it is designed as a modified a frame.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the golite poncho. It has a spot in my pack at all times along with some dyneema and a few stakes.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Not quite in the price range you mentioned, but Zpacks.com sells a really sweet cuben fiber pocket tarp which only weighs a few onces.

I carry a silnylon Maccat Deluxe from OES for covering my hammock. We've used it on several hikes as a shelter to eat or play cards under during a downpour and it's kept us dry. Not quite as light as cuben fiber, but half the price and still at or under a pound. The 4-season or rectangular cuts they offer might be a better match for what you're looking for.

I have the golite poncho. It has a spot in my pack at all times along with some dyneema and a few stakes.

Exactly what I do... less than a pound and i use it a lot. I cover my stuff when its raining, i sit on it when theres snow or wet ground. Seems to be with me no matter what I am doing now.

Joe

Beendare

WKR
I 've tried chunks of silnylon, ponchos of different material, an 8x10 ul tarp- and what has worked best for me while hunkering down in a bad storm is the GoLite poncho

Lighter fabric than most but extremely water proof- just the right size and config for me- packs small and light

I'd go to a good outdoor/backpacking store and see what they have for tent footprints on sale, they almost always have some large ones for huge discount. They have worked great for me in the past. Just make sure its a usable shape and not a diamond configuration.

OP
n2horns

n2horns

WKR
Like the tarp options from CCS, OES and Warbonnet. What is everyone size preference. i was thinking a 10x12?

robtattoo

WKR
Bushcraft USA 7x10 siltarp for me. $80, will fit in a cargo pocket, weighs nothing, has a ton of tie outs & is actually a usable size. Much smaller & I always end up getting either a wet head or wet feet. It can be setup any number of ways.
Frankly, I love the thing!

http://bushcraftoutfitters.com/Silnylon-Coyote-Brown-Tarp-10x7-tarp-10x7-olive-brown.htm

Throw in a half dozen titanium stakes + a few feet of paracord & you've got a damn fine, adaptable, waterproof, comfortable shelter for under $100 & under 1lb
If you carry a trekking pole or two, you're set for 3 seasons. I wouldn't want to live in it in winter, unless it was an emergency, but for warmer weather camping, it can't be beat.

Last edited:

desertcj

WKR
Bushcraft USA 7x10 siltarp for me. $80, will fit in a cargo pocket, weighs nothing, has a ton of tie outs & is actually a usable size. Much smaller & I always end up getting either a wet head or wet feet. It can be setup any number of ways.
Frankly, I love the thing!

http://bushcraftoutfitters.com/Silnylon-Coyote-Brown-Tarp-10x7-tarp-10x7-olive-brown.htm

Throw in a half dozen titanium stakes + a few feet of paracord & you've got a damn fine, adaptable, waterproof, comfortable shelter for under $100 & under 1lb
If you carry a trekking pole or two, you're set for 3 seasons. I wouldn't want to live in it in winter, unless it was an emergency, but for warmer weather camping, it can't be beat.

I'm a little late to the party but I use this tarp as well. I have sheltered overnight with it in a straight down pour/thunder storm and while I did stay dry, I only just barely stayed dry. I am going to a 10x10 or even 10x12 for more protection in the rain. In fair weather, I don't even bother setting the tarp up usually.

colonel00

WKR
I carry an Adventure Medical Kit SOL 2 person emergency blanket. I have it strictly for emergencies but also for a ground tarp for cleaning game. It is 5' x 8' and 3.2oz made out of material similar to a space blanket but much tougher. I think they are only like $5-7 so I don't care if it gets trashed when needed. I have one made up with Gorilla Tape tie out points so I can easily set it up as a shelter in many different configurations. There used to be a nice video on Youtube showing all of this but I can't seem to find it now.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/survive-outdoors-longer-survival-blanket.html

Here is a video that kinda shows what I mean but she goes a little overboard with the taping and all of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn4O1QsQulI