Seeking some insight part 3 – Altitude affect

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
Just completed my first backpack alpine trip, couple of days up to 7500' covering 10-12km with 2000' of elevation gain from the trailhead.

For over 2 months prior to this trip I've been doing 2-5km 2-3 times per week with the last month carrying 53lbs.

I live almost at sea level right next to the coast range, literally getting elvation any east or north direction. My conditioning though, outside day trips has largely stayed below 1000’

On my trip I felt much of the time like I couldn’t get my breath, I’m not in “Sheep Shape” by any stretch but have been doing pretty well with my conditioning.

So simply put was this altitude or just out of shape? How to reduce it next time?

Thoughts or Insight?

Very best,

Ian

Beendare

WKR
Seems I'm at 10,000' every year on these elk hunts...and living at sea level. I'm a big guy much more comfortable on a Basketball court than a track. My take; you have to push your conditioning to the point of high oxygen debt- just jumping on a stair climber for 1/2 hr and chatting with the chick next to you doesn't cut it. Whatever you do you need to push it. Hiking with a pack, running, stairs, biking- all work and I'm not 100% sure of the latest terminology but pushing those activities beyond a comfortable pace helps you cope with the extreme oxygen deprivation at high elevation.

Plus Asprin and Rolaids to ease symptoms- works for me.

OP
IanF.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
Perfect!

Looks like it was getting to me..., most likely combined with not the best condition...funny I didn't even remember the cough till I read that article

Appreciate the responses

Very best,

Ian

Ian,

As a follow up to the article, this year I did a lot of high intensity intervals (Insanity) and anaerobic threshold workouts (mountain bike racing), coupled with trail running. I climbed Mt. Rainier in July and hunted the Ruby Mountains at 9k feet in August. The altitude affects were noticeable, but not to the point that I felt it was effecting my performance in any way.

conhawa

Lil-Rokslider
Have your doctor prescribe some Diamox. I live in WV, and I used to travel to the Tetons to mountain climb....with only a couple of days to acclimate. I had a hard time the first trip. I took Diamox the 2nd and 3rd year..and it was much much better.

Well, so much for the taking a day to acclimate plan. Very interesting article.

Not necessarily. A BIG change in altitude is harder on you than a small one. If you make an easy day with a lesser amount of elevation gain, versus doing a big chunk in one day then it tends to not make the effects as severe.

But if you just plan on lounging for a day or two to let your body adjust, you are correct in that it's pretty meaningless from a physiological standpoint.

Not necessarily. A BIG change in altitude is harder on you than a small one. If you make an easy day with a lesser amount of elevation gain, versus doing a big chunk in one day then it tends to not make the effects as severe.

But if you just plan on lounging for a day or two to let your body adjust, you are correct in that it's pretty meaningless from a physiological standpoint.
So, as an example, trailhead is 8000ft, tree line is a 5-6 mile hike and 10500ft. I'm thinking hike halfway to ~9200 ft camp and hunt from there. Then, move higher if needed.

So, as an example, trailhead is 8000ft, tree line is a 5-6 mile hike and 10500ft. I'm thinking hike halfway to ~9200 ft camp and hunt from there. Then, move higher if needed.

If it were me, I'd go to camp the first day, get set up, and maybe do easier hunts that evening and the first day. You certainly don't want to do a big time death march the first day and end up paying for it the rest of the trip.

gelton

WKR
The lack of oxygen doesn't mess with my physical ability to climb and do strenuous hikes even though I rarely work out to get ready for my hunt. I used to be in excellent shape growing up and I think mentally I just refuse to let the physical aspect get to me. What does get to me, and I mean every time, (just off an 8 day solo trip) is not having an appetite. I simply cannot eat (and I am not a skinny guy - 6 ft 220 before the trip, 6 ft 196 after). Because I am unable to eat, by day 3 or 4 I am totally useless for a day. Then I finally get my appetite and legs under me for the rest of the trip.

Day 1 and 2 I am running strictly on adrenaline and then the combo of adrenaline and an empty stomach left me dryheaving on an evening hunt. This is when I know its time to pack it in and take the next morning off but after that I feel like superman again. What sucks is carrying all of the food out that I couldn't eat. I literally didn't finish a mountain house pro pack until the last night.

Beendare

WKR
If it were me, I'd go to camp the first day, get set up, and maybe do easier hunts that evening and the first day. You certainly don't want to do a big time death march the first day and end up paying for it the rest of the trip.

Good comment and thx for posting that link- very informative on the physiological impacts to your body..

Jasons comments are right on in my experience. A light first day has been the best, IME. A tough first day just kills you. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that after waking up on that 5-6 day mark is something akin to a runners endorphine rush once you are hitting on all cylinders- at least thats what seems to happen with me- I feel really good at that stage of the hunt. Same happens when I return to lower elevation...I feel stronger.

Another thing you really have to watch at high altitude is hydration management. Here is a biggie that is easily missed. Just because you feel thirsty does not necessarily mean you need more water. If you feel parched and just keep peeing as you drink, then your body is screaming to you that it needs electrolytes. Anyone that has done marathons or ultras will know exactly what I'm talking about.

I intentionally carry some high sodium foods with me on high country trips, and it's not a bad idea to have some electrolyte capsules on hand either. I was regularly going through 3L of water day on my hunt in the Ruby Mountains. Dehydration exacerbates the effects of altitude sickness, and also reduces blood volume making your circulatory system less efficient. This is a bad thing at 10k feet above sea level.

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
IMO train harder. Up the weight on you training hikes to 70 some. Do something for cardio and do it often.

hflier

WKR
I am a 53 year old flatlander. This year I went to 9,000 for 2 days then close to 11,000. I wasn't doing bad. Drinking a lot helped. I had Diamox with me but didn't use it. This year in my training I pushed myself to oxygen deprivation for short periods and I think that helps to train you for altitude. I was unsuccessful this year, but I am already intensely training for next year. I have made the decision to be an animal next year and I am going to hunt my ass off. I am mixing up my training, packing, running, weights.