What soft shell for bowhunting

So I have decided I do need a soft shell. It's to loud wearing a puffy or rain jacket if it's not a downpour. So what soft shell? Which is the quietest?

The new kryptek windsheer?
The first lite? North branch?
Or a kuiu?

I think the guide is quieter then the first lite but the first lite could quiet down more with use. The new 90% is the quietest I have tried

Whisky

WKR
I am in the same boat as you. Quiet and somewhat packable are my criteria. The 90%, Chinook and Einar would be nice to get my hands on and decide. However 2 of the 3 are not available. I have a suspicion the 90% that is a available may win in the noise department anyways.

One thing I've learned what may be quiet to some is loud as shit to me. Keep that in mind. Not everybody bow hunts. And the terrain a person hunts in is a big factor too.

conhawa

Lil-Rokslider
The new 90% is silent, lightweight and virtually windproof....my new favorite.

If you are looking at the new 90% in person you can tell because it has a waffle grid fleece pattern that almost shows through the outside as well. If you look on top of the shoulders its really easy to see. And I too am very very picky with how quiet all my stuff is and I can assure you no one is going to call the new 90% loud its very very quiet. Reports I have heard say the Chinook is a little louder than the guide and I thought the guide was as loud as I was willing to wear. The Einar is supposed to be even louder. Not to mention I haven't seen a piece of Kryptek yet that didn't have a bad shine in direct sunlight.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the guide is quieter then the first lite but the first lite could quiet down more with use. The new 90% is the quietest I have tried
Dover, I concur with this statement.

The 90% jacket is one of my favorite jackets. Some folks have complained of a lack of pitzips, but it breathes darn well and has not been an issue for me.
Like you stated, one can tell the 90% by the backing.
http://www.sitkagear.com/insight/darkroom-90-series

Whisky

WKR
If you are looking at the new 90% in person you can tell because it has a waffle grid fleece pattern that almost shows through the outside as well. If you look on top of the shoulders its really easy to see. And I too am very very picky with how quiet all my stuff is and I can assure you no one is going to call the new 90% loud its very very quiet. Reports I have heard say the Chinook is a little louder than the guide and I thought the guide was as loud as I was willing to wear. The Einar is supposed to be even louder. Not to mention I haven't seen a piece of Kryptek yet that didn't have a bad shine in direct sunlight.
Good info...so from what I gather I have two viable Quiet options.
Guide or 90%.

Is that Guide jacket identical to their pants in regards to noise? I have the pants.

Appears everybody loves the 90%.

Matt what would make you chose the Guide over the 90, and vice versa?

Thanks

Whisky

WKR
How do you know if your getting the old or new 90% jacket
Also look at Linton Outdoors. They have one listed for NEW for $289 and one for 269. The 269 would be old product and I would be confirming with anybody I was buying from at that price what I was getting, if not specified on their website

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good info...so from what I gather I have two viable Quiet options.
Guide or 90%.
Is that Guide jacket identical to their pants in regards to noise? I have the pants.
Appears everybody loves the 90%.
Matt what would make you chose the Guide over the 90, and vice versa?
Thanks

From what I could tell the guide pants and jacket are the exact same material.

As for 90% vs. Guide, here is my take (pulled from the end of the review):
2014 Sitka 90% - Lightweight, High Exertion Activities, early to mid-season temps
KUIU Guide – Mid-weight, Medium to High Exertion Activities, early to mid-season temps

The 90% is lighter, sheds wind better, and is highly breathable. The Guide is not as windproof and you need to open the pits up to get the same breath-ability as the 90%. But, the guide has a hood and the 90% does not. Each soft shell really has its unique place, you just have to really think through how you are going to use it.

The 90% is my choice for backpack hunts. Both are quiet. I'd take the other jackets if operating out a base camp.

OP
Jtelarkin08
Ok guys i went with the 90%.. I ordered the 2014 model from blackovis.. Used the 10% off coupon with free shipping.. I need the wind backer.. Thats what makes me cold when the wind blows in..