TTH Workout "Drop Tine"

Kenton C

FNG
Hunters need to train specifically for their sport. The workout is designed to get you heart rate up and give you one shot. This will give you an idea about how you will shoot when that big drop tine buck steps into the open, and your heart rate sky rockets. Hope everyone is having a great fall. Train hard and go get em!

Predator= advanced Warrior= intermediate Brave= beginner

Predator
For time...
21 Bag Facing Burpees
21 Weighted sit-ups (45#)
21 Overhead Lunges (45#)
400m Run
15 Bag Facing Burpees
15 Weighted sit-ups
15 Overhead Lunges
400m Run
9 Bag Facing Burpees
9 Weighted sit-ups
9 Overhead Lunges
400m Run
Shoot 1 Arrow at end of workout

Warrior
For time...
21 Bag Facing Burpees
21 Weighted sit-ups (35#)
21 Overhead Lunges (35#)
400m Run
15 Bag Facing Burpees
15 Weighted sit-ups
15 Overhead Lunges
400m Run
9 Bag Facing Burpees
9 Weighted sit-ups
9 Overhead Lunges
400m Run

Brave
For time...
21 Bag Facing Burpees
21 Weighted sit-ups (25#)
21 Overhead Lunges (25#)
200m Run
15 Bag Facing Burpees
15 Weighted sit-ups
15 Overhead Lunges
200m Run
9 Bag Facing Burpees
9 Weighted sit-ups
9 Overhead Lunges
200m Run

Cowboy611

Lil-Rokslider
Good list. Have you been doing this? Wildfire season is almost over and im looking for a good total body workout to keep me lean and mean for the ladies and so i can own the mountain for hunting!

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
More details on TTH

I've been looking into this and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on it besides that it costs $17/month to find out. Seems similar to crossfit type of workout. Can anyone fill me in on this a little?
Is there weight training involved? Is it really worth the $$?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been looking into this and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on it besides that it costs $17/month to find out. Seems similar to crossfit type of workout. Can anyone fill me in on this a little?
Is there weight training involved? Is it really worth the $$?

The workout posted the other day ( http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?21641-TTH-Workout-quot-Drop-Tine-quot ) is a pretty good example of what they are like. As a member on the site you get daily workouts along with short videos on how to do each exercise. They do have a "crossfit" mentality to them, however that term is thrown around loosely these days. Yes they are worth it IMO. Once hunting season slows down some you will see an increase from Kenton on here. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I feel that most people do best with their workouts if they have a program to follow. TTH is a great program geared specifically towards the backcountry hunter. I think Kenton has a trial period if i remember right. Definitely worth checking out.

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
I feel that most people do best with their workouts if they have a program to follow. TTH is a great program geared specifically towards the backcountry hunter. I think Kenton has a trial period if i remember right. Definitely worth checking out.

I agree with you. I have a lot more motivation with a program to follow. I have an 8 week program now that I have to finish up then I'm definitely gonna check it out. Thanks to you both for the info.

OP
K

Kenton C

FNG
TTH Workout "Mountain Buck"

One question I get a lot is "how do 20-30 minute workouts prepare you for the long days on the mountains?" The answer is intensity. We all have many responsibilities in our day to day lives that don't allow us to put aside four to five hours a day to strap on our boots, put on our packs and go hike the mountains. By increasing the intensity at which we move we are able to squeeze in a large amount of work into a short period of time which translates to being able to perform very low intense movements, aka hunting, for longer periods of time.

"Mountain Buck Mod"

Predator-Advanced
Get as many rounds in as you can in 60 minute
800m Run
50 Step Ups
50 Ground to Overhead (30# sandbag)
100 Yard Tire Drag
Shot 1 arrow
Shoot from different positions each round.

Warrior-Intermediate
800m Run
50 Step Ups
50 Ground to Overhead (20# sandbag)
100 Yard Tire Drag
Shot 1 arrow

Braves- Beginners
50 Step Ups
50 Ground to Overhead (30# sandbag)
100 Yard Tire Drag
Shot 1 arrow

Manosteel

WKR
Is this one giant super cycle where you do one exercise after another with no rest between exercises? Do you take a rest after each ycle or just bust all the way through non-stop for an hour?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you can bust through this workout without stopping you are the man! I haven't done it yet but I am guessing there will be numerous amounts of "short breathers" in that 60 minutes.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone tried an altitude mask?

Has anyone used one of these or something similar for training for altitude at lower elevation?

http://www.roguefitness.com/elevati...7roheLyJmvBVe5PbG5hLzWXk1elwFrDAr0aAmEx8P8HAQ

I know experts say "live high, train low", but we can't all live at altitude. I'm looking for some options that might help build the oxygen carrying abilities that the sky dwellers have, while still living at 1100 ft. Not interested in a tent as you have to live in them 16 hrs a day.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Studies I have read say that in order to achieve true benefits grow O2 desaturation you have to spend 16+ hours per day in it, however this did not focus on training in these conditions but rather on trying to sleep in tents that achieve this.

BH107

FNG
I've done some research on the masks and all independent sources said it doesn't do what it is advertised to do. It cannot thin the air. All it does is make your diaphragm work harder to pull air in, as well as make you consciously think about breathing.

danarnold

WKR
I use it, it works
First we used the mask was before one of our fighters fought in denver, he used it for a couple weeks at 600' elevation then finished training camp in Co using it there also

I've gone out west last 3 years in a row using the mask for a few weeks before leaving the last 2 and I do have better wind then the year before, but then again I'm not a world class athlete, I just like killin elk

Has anyone tried an altitude mask?

I actually used an altitude mask as part of a study at kstate back in the mid 90's. The improvement in fitness (vo2max, lactate threshold, total work preformed) was due to the actual training and not due to the mask. This was a study where subjects were randomly put into two groups. One trained and one trained with the mask.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually used an altitude mask as part of a study at kstate back in the mid 90's. The improvement in fitness (vo2max, lactate threshold, total work preformed) was due to the actual training and not due to the mask. This was a study where subjects were randomly put into two groups. One trained and one trained with the mask.
Did your study find anything else that worked?