Lowa Baffin Pro Leather Lined - First Experience With Leather Lined and Lowa

Just purchased some Lowa Baffin Pros, my first leather lined boot and first boot without a gore-tex or similar lining. Also my first experience with Lowa Boots! I also own some Kenetreks ME Uninsulated and they gave me blisters this year on an elk hunt, but have performed well in that past in cooler weather with heavier socks. So I've decided to try and look for a warm weather boot that performs well with a thinner sock and breathes better. My research led me to Leather Lined boots.

I'm still in the break in process and have not done any considerable hiking in them but my immediate impression is that they breathe much better than a gore-tex lined boots. Soles aren't as stiff as my kenetreks but I think they will suffice.

Being my first experience with leather lined, the fit seems a little different. My kenetreks and old vasques had the waterproof liner and that nylon material that was on the inside of the boot. The nylon material is like a soft cloth and although it is warm, seems to form to my foot really well. Everything I read with leather lined boots was that they had a superior fit and molded to your feet. I have not felt that "molded to your feet" fit yet, but I've only worn these boots around town for a few days so I'm thinking after I get some miles on these they will "mold" to my foot more and more.

I went with a size 9.5 and an orange superfeet insole. I have what appears to be about 3/4 of an inch between my heal and the back of the boot when I slide my foot forward, but when I lace them up and stand up and press down on top of the toe I have about a half inch to the end of my boot. A little concerned I should have went with the size 9, but I had to order them in so I didnt have a chance to try anything on before I purchased. I sized my foot in a brannock device and called lowa with the results, they said to go with a 9.5. So far the boot fits well everywhere else, heel cup is almost perfect for my foot.Anyone have any comment or experience on leather lined fit over time?

Hardstalk

WKR
I have these same boots. Love them. Been beating on them for 2-3 seasons now. I've noticed that when it comes to sizing in the leather lined I go about a half size smaller. It seems like when the boots are cold and you lace them up. They are a complete different size after a mile or so and they warm up. I end up re lacing a time or two during the day. Downside is the "squeaks" they get a bit noisy at times.

OP
M
Yeah I'm a little concerned about these 9.5s maybe being to long. That room in the heel really surprised and concerned me...but after lacing them up they feel like almost a perfect fit. I might order the 9s just for peace of mind. My toe was right on the size 9 line so for a boot company that claims to be designed to fit extremely true to the brannock sizing device, I think a 9 will be too short. Lowa rep agreed with me.

jtw

WKR
I have the same boot and love them for dryer weather. I have a 10 and wear a 10 or 9.5 in most boots. Its been a few years but I don't remember much grief breaking them in.

OP
M
I have the same boot and love them for dryer weather. I have a 10 and wear a 10 or 9.5 in most boots. Its been a few years but I don't remember much grief breaking them in.

Do you have experience with them in wet grass, mud, light rain, stream crossings? This will be an early season boot for me that will probably see a few shallow very narrow stream crossings (like one maybe two quick steps in ankle deep water), some wet grass every morning, and maybe a little rain if I get caught out in some wet weather. I would envision about 15 -20 days of in the field use for these boots every year. I treat my boots with kenetrek wax.

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a pair of these as well...kind of mixed feelings on them right now. Seems like I'm always tightening or loosening them to get the proper fit. They seem to fit better as I wear them but I don't want to have to stop and relace them for a better fit periodically throughout the day once I'm past the break in period.

I will say the leather lining works as advertised, the boot definitely breathes better than a boot with a gtx lining. I haven't had a chance to put some serious hiking miles on them so the jury's still out.

jtw

WKR
When treated they are plenty water resistant. They do get wet if you stand in water though so I took them off for creek crossings.
To hunt or busts comment I felt the same at first but after putting serious time in them they fit like a glove.

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
Jtw ...seems like every day I wear them they get more and more comfortable. One thing I've noticed is that they don't seem to stretch as much as my kenetreks.

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
Been wearing them for a couple weeks now. I trimmed the heal area of the original Lowa insole and threw that back in the boot with Superfeet ontop and that certainly seems to help me fill out this boot. I've never tried two insoles in a boot before, so im not sure what negative side effects this could have. As of right now it certainly seems to help with fit and volume issues.

jtw

WKR
The only issues with two insoles are sometimes they'll squeak and it takes up some volume. The later fixes a problem for you and you didn't mention the former so I'd say you're good.

I've been beating on the same pair for almost six years now. Great boots. I treat mine with Sno-Seal. If it's wet, as in raining really wet, wear gaitors. Once you get the leather liner soaked, it will swell up some and the boots will be uncomfortably small and likely give you blisters.

I wear mine mountain climbing, I can't imagine anyone needing a stiffer boot without going to plastics.

I need to get sno seal I guess. I have some leather lined tibets and got wet on a recent hunt. I literally poured water out of my boot at the end of the day.

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
I don't plan on using these in extremely wet conditions. Wet grass and quick crossings will be the most moisture they will see. I'm tempted to stand in the tub and see how long it takes for my foot to get wet.