Going to be hot this weekend - blacktail tips?

gmajor

WKR
Unfortunately my area is going to be hot this weekend. I wish it were cool and rainy like a week ago darnit. I've got a second trip planned later this month, but was wondering what you guys like to do for blacktails when it's hot. It was hot when I was scouting earlier this summer and I got skunked for seeing bucks. Saw quite a few bear though.

I imagine staying high and glassing down into the timber for bedding areas during the day...doubt they'll even pop out while the sun's up. Maybe hunt the timber up and down drainages...try to catch them standing still...Should I just focus on my bear tag?

Any and all hot-weather blacktail tips welcome here...thanks!

Last edited:

The John

Lil-Rokslider
Cant shoot one from the house.....

Should be warm, but there will be a lot of people in the woods which will help move the deer around on sat (at the very least). Good Luck out there, be safe and have a plan to get your meat cooled down.

OP
gmajor

gmajor

WKR
That brings up something I've been wrestling with. Let's say it's in the high 80s - if I hit a deer in the morning/day, should I:

a) just break the animal down, de-bone it, and pack it out immediately. Let's say 5 hours of the heat of the day before it hits ice in the cooler at the truck.
b) hang the meat in the shade (which could still be pretty warm...) and pack out at night
c) dunk meat in contractor bags in a stream for 30-45 minutes, then hang in the shade, then pack out at night?

If I get a bear before deer, I will be using the contractor bag/creek method for the initial cool down.

Last edited:

gulicemo

Banned
What elevation? When it's hot in the valley, it's generally cool enough in the mountains (Coastal range) to hang meat in breathable game bags in the shade, especially on a ridge top where there is a good breeze. Make sure there is plenty of air flow and you should be fine (in the shade).

OP
gmajor

gmajor

WKR
What elevation? When it's hot in the valley, it's generally cool enough in the mountains (Coastal range) to hang meat in breathable game bags in the shade, especially on a ridge top where there is a good breeze. Make sure there is plenty of air flow and you should be fine (in the shade).

trinity alps wilderness, ~6500/7000 feet. Supposed to still be pretty warm up there, a breeze would do wonders though.

_Nick_

WKR
I'd probably opt for (a) or:

d) hang meat for a little bit to dry it out some, then put in contractor bags, submerge in cool stream until it's time for you to go (later in the day/cooler).

I hunt the desert... so it's (a) for me.

Well I shot a buck during archery season a handful of years back. This is what I did. I quartered it out, hung it in the trees in the shade, let it glaze over, then put it in a lightweight game bag. That next morning I hiked it out. The trick is to cool it down, and keep it that way. If it is in the shade, and the breeze keeps it cool your good to go. Plus if it gets to cool through the night it's even better.

I use the Caraboue light weight game bags. Have never had any bad meat. It's worked on deer and hogs in July. Good luck on your hunt. Hope you get the headache of what to do.

gulicemo

Banned
trinity alps wilderness, ~6500/7000 feet. Supposed to still be pretty warm up there, a breeze would do wonders though.

Shade and a breeze and you'll be fine. The days are fairly short, and it cools down plenty at night. Keep them in game bags to keep flies and bees off the meat. Get the meat off the bone as soon as possible. You shouldn't have to worry.

OP
gmajor

gmajor

WKR
Thanks guys. I've had good experiences with citric acid keeping flies away, so that will come along (and game bags too of course).

OP
gmajor

gmajor

WKR
Heading out. Good luck to everyone else this weekend!